New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna

Premium Member

said by Exodus:

said by La Luna:

I think you would be hard pressed to find any true Christians

Fixed.

Nope. My statement stands. But I'm not going to get into a debate about religion. Westboro is wrong. Period. Any thinking, rational human wouldn't do what they do. Their deeds speak louder than their words.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

said by La Luna:

Westboro is wrong. Period. Any thinking, rational human wouldn't do what they do. Their deeds speak louder than their words.

While that may be true I think you'd agree with me that they still deserve the same right to freely express their views as you and I do. As we know people have the right to freely express their stupidity. We certainly see enough of that every day.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

1 recommendation

scelli (banned) to La Luna

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

said by Exodus:

said by La Luna:

Fixed.

Nope. My statement stands. But I'm not going to get into a debate about religion. Westboro is wrong. Period. Any thinking, rational human wouldn't do what they do. Their deeds speak louder than their words.

Seconded, La Luna!

In addition:: The childish editing of comments to reflect different viewpoints than what the original poster intended has long ago worn out its welcome.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 edit

La Luna to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

said by La Luna:

Westboro is wrong. Period. Any thinking, rational human wouldn't do what they do. Their deeds speak louder than their words.

While that may be true I think you'd agree with me that they still deserve the same right to freely express their views as you and I do. As we know people have the right to freely express their stupidity. We certainly see enough of that every day.

They have the right, but others also have the right to THEIR privacy. Westboro doesn't (or shouldn't) have the right to force their skewed beliefs (which are all about making $ anyway) onto others, especially in times of grief. That only proves they are hoping to get sued sue to try and make $ and are falsely using "religion" as an excuse.

"Rights" work both ways. You have the right to say it and I have the right to tell you to take a hike, get lost, I don't want to hear it, and you should abide by that. That's the part Westboro purposely ignores in their quest to pad their bank account.

Edit: corrected context

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

True, true but was there anything illegal about their website and was there any legal ground for the hacking thereof? WBC follows the laws that they are faced with when they come to town. Every town/city can make their own laws regarding their ability to protest anywhere near where the people are grieving. Even the ACLU has begrudgingly given them some support. Beyond that I think it's pretty cowardly hide behind a keyboard. I guess from what I'm reading in a security forum if I don't like a something I can hack without regard to the laws because I have "right" on my side. Why do people bitch when they get their World of Warcraft account hacked? It's the same thing. Either way it's illegal.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Exodus

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

said by La Luna:

Fixed.

Priceless

Dave

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

1 recommendation

Exodus

Premium Member

said by workablob:

Childish

Dave

Fixed, as per other comments in the thread.

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

said by Exodus:

said by workablob:

Childish

Dave

Fixed, as per other comments in the thread.

Nope. I stand my my comment LOL.

Best thread ever.

Dave

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob
said by workablob:

said by Exodus:

said by La Luna:

Fixed.

Priceless

Dave

Except that's not what I said, so no....not "priceless", just misquoted.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

But what I did was not to adjust what you said and claim you said it. What I did was adjust your quote to something a little more accurate. I mean, what exactly defines a Christian? A person who follows the Bible? What else could it be? There is no other single source of God's word, correct?

If so, then why do Christians not come out in full support of the only source of writing they have?

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel. (1 Peter 2:18)

"If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. "(Leviticus 20:9)

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:13 )

"If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girls virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her fathers house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her fathers house." (Deuteronomy 22:20-1)

"For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death." (Exodus 35:2)

This can continue on for quite a long time. Why is it that you don't come forward to call for the deaths of homosexuals, men who cheat on their wives, women who are not virgins, or people who work on Sundays?

It's because it's absurd and if some of it is absurd, all of it is absurd. If all of it is absurd, then maybe it's not I who is childish, but those who believe in childish fairy tales.

Also, there are over a hundred religions. Why is yours the path to the spoils in the afterlife? What happens to those who follow another teaching? Why is yours the best? Is it because you chose it? Or were you born into it? Take a look at the religions of the world and you'll find that the majority of the religions are conveniently geographically based.

All of this written by a series of people who lived in an era where they had no fucking idea what was going on. But I'm the childish one. And here we are, supposedly trusting you and people like you to give us the authority to tell us what is right and what is wrong, who is a true christian and who is not.

La Luna, you're trying to tell me about what "rational, thinking human beings" would do. How can you consider yourself a rational thinker when your entire way of life, the foundation of everything you believe in, isn't based on a single thought of your own.

And now we're to trust this collective of non-thinking, self-declared thinkers to write political policies and to conjure up laws and to do what is in the best interest of a country that celebrates religious diversity.

Westboro is only words. Your majority has inflicted real and actual damage throughout the ages.

Your majority is dwindling. The Internet has allowed people to break the flow of communication and people are able to find the truth on their own. As the religious die off, the younger generations shed themselves of fairy tales and then and only then can we come together as a world that has the interest of the people truly at heart.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

I'll say it again. WOW!! Unbelievable.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

2 recommendations

NormanS to Exodus

MVM

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

It's because it's absurd and if some of it is absurd, all of it is absurd. If all of it is absurd, then maybe it's not I who is childish, but those who believe in childish fairy tales.

Logical fallacy: Reductio ad Absurdum.

"Childish fairy tales" indeed! You are just as guilty as anyone else of selectively quoting the Bible for your own end.

Also, there are over a hundred religions ... Take a look at the religions of the world and you'll find that the majority of the religions are conveniently geographically based.

What does that even mean?

All of this written by a series of people who lived in an era where they had no fucking idea what was going on.

And we do?

But I'm the childish one. And here we are, supposedly trusting you and people like you to give us the authority to tell us what is right and what is wrong, who is a true christian and who is not.

La Luna, you're trying to tell me about what "rational, thinking human beings" would do. How can you consider yourself a rational thinker when your entire way of life, the foundation of everything you believe in, isn't based on a single thought of your own.

And yours is?

And now we're to trust this collective of non-thinking, self-declared thinkers to write political policies and to conjure up laws and to do what is in the best interest of a country that celebrates religious diversity.

I think you either don't know what it means to think, or you think your thinking is superior; the latter being what every human, religious, or otherwise, seems to think.

Westboro is only words. Your majority has inflicted real and actual damage throughout the ages.

Would that include the battles at Thermopylae, Arbela, Alesia, and Teutoburg Forest? How about the Battle of Hakusonko, or the Battle of Baekgang?

I would recommend The Encyclopedia Of Military History (Trevor N. Dupuy and R. Ernest Dupuy) as a good reference on the "bloodletting of Humanity" throughout the ages; a good cure for your selective memory concerning the "peaceful intentions" of human beings.

Your majority is dwindling. The Internet has allowed people to break the flow of communication and people are able to find the truth on their own.

Whose "Truth"? Is yours superior?

As the religious die off, the younger generations shed themselves of fairy tales and then and only then can we come together as a world that has the interest of the people truly at heart.

Your faith in "a world that that has the interest of the people truly at heart" is just another fairy tale.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

NormanS - Oh! Surely you gist. How can he be wrong.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by Hank:

NormanS - Oh! Surely you gist. How can he be wrong.

Here's how:

Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

As the religious die off, the younger generations shed themselves of fairy tales and then and only then can we come together as a world that has the interest of the people truly at heart.

That's already been tried in various workers' paradises, and failed miserably. People weren't empowered, they were enslaved, and generally lived in poverty in service to the state, to boot.

Those who turn their backs on history are doomed to repeat it. Ignorance doesn't protect the younger generations or make life better; it just makes them easier to victimize.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by goalieskates:

said by Exodus:

That's already been tried in various workers' paradises, and failed miserably. People weren't empowered, they were enslaved, and generally lived in poverty in service to the state, to boot.

Those who turn their backs on history are doomed to repeat it. Ignorance doesn't protect the younger generations or make life better; it just makes them easier to victimize.

Archivis's Fantasy Island stance is the typical humanistic claptrap those of such ilk have belched forth for decades, if not centuries. The only thing missing from his stirring vision of Valhalla on earth is John Lennon's "Imagine" being piped in through loudspeakers to the unwashed masses.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by scelli:

Archivis's Fantasy Island stance is the typical humanistic claptrap those of such ilk have belched forth for decades, if not centuries. The only thing missing from his stirring vision of Valhalla on earth is John Lennon's "Imagine" being piped in through loudspeakers to the unwashed masses.

What about Liam Neeson's Zeus?
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by Krisnatharok:

said by scelli:

What about Liam Neeson's Zeus?

That remake was such a disappointing movie for me and thought the flick would be much better than it was!

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob to scelli

to scelli
said by scelli:

said by goalieskates:

said by Exodus:

Well, it beats the heck out of the 'claptrap' being spouted by religion for centuries in my opinion.

Dave
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

1 recommendation

scelli (banned)

For better or worse in a free society, you're entitled to that opinion...just like I'm entitled to mine.

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

said by scelli:

For better or worse in a free society, you're entitled to that opinion...just like I'm entitled to mine.

Agreed.

Dave

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

But what I did was not to adjust what you said and claim you said it. What I did was adjust your quote to something a little more accurate. I mean, what exactly defines a Christian? A person who follows the Bible? What else could it be? There is no other single source of God's word, correct?

If so, then why do Christians not come out in full support of the only source of writing they have?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sy ··· _gospels
There is a graph and text to explain how the gospel hierarchy should be followed by all Christians.
said by Exodus:

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel. (1 Peter 2:18)

"If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. "(Leviticus 20:9)

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:13 )

Not the first person to (Christian or otherwise) not to follow the RULES set out by senior Christian authorities (supposedly acting on Gods behalf).
said by Blackbird:

To reiterate previous comments about the reality continually underlying Westboro's actions: for them, it's not about "religion", "morality", or "sin" - it's simply about making extreme statements and picketing in order to stir up outrage or controversy and getting a sufficient community reaction that enables Westboro to be able to file suppression-of-free-speech lawsuits, leading to a win or large settlement. That is, it's purely about the lawsuit money, from beginning to end.

So they won't be picketing their own funerals then.....Pity