how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

only getting 23mbps on blast!!!

I've been doing speed tests on speed test.net and I am ONLY getting 23mbps on my blast tier. Shouldn't I be getting 50mbps?
Even comcast test is saying 25mbps.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by mikedz4:

I've been doing speed tests on speed test.net and I am ONLY getting 23mbps on my blast tier. Shouldn't I be getting 50mbps?
Even comcast test is saying 25mbps.

Your area might not be upgraded yet. Blast being upgraded to 50 from 25 was first a move in FiOS areas. If you don't have FiOS or other significant competition (Forget AT&T U-Verse, who Comcast sees as pathetic and no threat in my experience.) in your area, you're stuck waiting until whenever.

Hell, you're lucky to have 25 at all. I'm stuck at 16, not even upgraded to Docsis 3 and STILL paying full price.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to mikedz4
The provisioned speed for Blast in most areas is 25mb, so 23 isnt that far off.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

1 recommendation

reply to mikedz4
Blast is 16/2 in some markets. With speedboost you could see 20 to 30

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to mikedz4
I'm in the pittsburgh tri-state market (keystone i think is what it is called)

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
I was going to try and see what Comcast advertises for Weirton but they now REQUIRE a full address to even see what is available for an area. You can no longer just put in a zip code.

I would think you would have been upgraded. I know Grafton is in the same market and Blast is 50Mbps there.

mikpwv

@comcast.net
They are slowly working on upgrading markets. Most likely you'll still on DOCSIS 2 which means you are getting the advertised speeds. Here in Martinsburg, WV we've been on single channels for down/up for years while everyone else get's DOCSIS 3. Like 2 months ago i am finally receiving 4 down channels with 1 up still.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to mikedz4
Most markets will not be getting upgrades until 2013. Consider yourself lucky, as you can see by other posts Comcast is good for charging customers the same or more in other markets for the same tier but with less speed.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

CplEstesUSMC

join:2005-02-16
Douglasville, GA
reply to mikedz4
What kind of upload are you getting, I got a call from Comcast saying they would up my speed from performance to blast and add TV for $10 /month, my speeds have stayed exactly the same at around 25/4 before and after the upgrade.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
reply to mikedz4
When I was on 22/5 "Ultra," I would get PowerBoost speeds of around 33/7.5. I later downgraded to "Blast!" and got PowerBoost speeds around 36/6 until I provisioned a new modem. At first they pushed a "Silver" bootfile to me, then "speedtierextreme2." When that happened my PowerBoost speeds became 24/5...

So which is the real "Blast!" in my area?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
speedtierextreme2 is Blast.

Tobin

Burlingame, CA
Which tier results in 36/6 PowerBoost?

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by Tobin:

Which tier results in 36/6 PowerBoost?

I have blast and my results are consistently 35+/ 5+.

Tobin

Burlingame, CA
When I subscribed to "Blast!" CSRs would claim that both 25/4 and 36/6 PowerBoosted speeds were correct in the SF Bay area, so that's why I'm confused. I don't even know what speed "speedtierextreme2" corresponds to.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

said by Tobin:

When I subscribed to "Blast!" CSRs would claim that both 25/4 and 36/6 PowerBoosted speeds were correct in the SF Bay area, so that's why I'm confused. I don't even know what speed "speedtierextreme2" corresponds to.

If memory serves, 36/6 is the powerboost of 25/4. So you'd really be getting 25/4.

Tobin

Burlingame, CA
That's not what I'm saying, I was getting 25/4 PowerBoosted speeds that would drop to ~16/2 sustained. 25mbps was the max download I started seeing on various download tests after provisioning a new modem, then reprovisioning the old one when the new one didn't work out.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mikedz4
If that's the case then you might consider posting in the Comcast direct forum to make sure you are provisioned correctly.
Edit: reply meant for Tobin See Profile

Tobin

Burlingame, CA
I circumvented all of that by just upgrading to Extreme 50.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

When Blast is upgraded to 50/10, there is no offering for Extreme 50. What you pay for Extreme 50, they can get Extreme 105 for the same price. So, I don't get what is circumvented.

Tobin

Burlingame, CA
My location is listed quite clearly as "Burlingame, CA." Please tell me how I can get 50/10 "Blast!" here because I'd love to have it.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to Johkal
Not exactly true.

My area was recently upgraded to D3 and blast is now 25/4 without powerboost. It was previously 16/2. We do not have an Extreme 50 tier but do have Extreme 105.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

Look at what I said: "When Blast is upgraded to 50/10, there is no offering for Extreme 50."

Tobin

Burlingame, CA

1 edit
I'm sure that rollout will happen sometime in 2013, but until then I'm okay with paying extra for 50/10 if it means not having to deal with outsourced CSRs telling me that PowerBoosted speeds of 25/4 are what I'm supposed to get with "Blast!"

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

said by Tobin:

I'm sure that rollout will happen sometime in 2013, but until then I'm okay with paying extra for 50/10 if it means not having to deal with outsourced CSRs telling me that PowerBoosted speeds of 25/4 are what I'm supposed to get with "Blast!"

And when you get the upgrade, you will be upgraded to 105/20 for the same money you pay, if memory serves. So sit back and enjoy the speeds.

Phil T

join:2007-10-05
Littleton, CO
reply to mikedz4
I am new to Comcast and got the Blast 6 month promotion. I was getting 35/6 until a couple of nights ago. My connection went down for about 12 hours. When I called technical support they did some kind of reset to my modem (Motorola 6121) from their end and said that sometimes things get out of sync. Since the reset I get 25/4. When I subscribed at the local office they said I would get Blast for 3 months and then drop to Performance so I wonder if this is what happened. If it is, it happened a month early since my service stared October 15th.

answer

@comcast.net
said by Phil T:

...I would get Blast for 3 months and then drop to Performance so I wonder if this is what happened. If it is, it happened a month early since my service stared October 15th.

In CO the speeds for Performance are 15/2 and the speeds for Blast are 25/4. If you were pulling in 35/6 then it was overprovisioned, as a lot of areas are.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

said by answer :

... If you were pulling in 35/6 then it was overprovisioned, as a lot of areas are.

Perhaps the 35/6 speeds quoted were just the temporary Powerboost speed bursts (which trick many of the popular speed tests) and not the actual sustained speeds that they were receiving ?

Tobin

Burlingame, CA

said by EG See Profile
Perhaps the 35/6 speeds quoted were just the temporary Powerboost speed bursts (which trick many of the popular speed tests) and not the actual sustained speeds that they were receiving ?

Correct, specifically on the Ookla branded tests you can see precisely where PowerBoost kicks off with the Performance tier every time in the middle of the download test. It starts at 25mbps and bumps down to 16mbps. "Blast!" however doesn't throttle back for the duration of that test.

I always found that a little odd since PowerBoost is reported to be based on the amount of data transferred rather than based on time.

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA
reply to mikedz4
Nobody asked this yet?

Mike...are you doing the test over wireless?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Comcast Guy:

Nobody asked this yet?

Mike...are you doing the test over wireless?

That 23 mbps speed does look suspiciously like a WiFi maximum.