share rss forum feed

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to dillyhammer

Re: voip.ms Toronto servers

Heh, comparatively speaking I've had no issues with voip.ms on the Chicago server. Everything I've had issues with has all been issues on my side that I eventually resolved myself. We use the service with a business and the reliability of the service has not been called into question at any time.

And seriously, if you're using one of the new Cisco ATAs like the SPA-112 or SPA-122 throw the thing in the garbage. They're junk.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by Gone:

Heh, comparatively speaking I've had no issues with voip.ms on the Chicago server. Everything I've had issues with has all been issues on my side that I eventually resolved myself. We use the service with a business and the reliability of the service has not been called into question at any time.

And seriously, if you're using one of the new Cisco ATAs like the SPA-112 or SPA-122 throw the thing in the garbage. They're junk.

What equipment do you suggest to use instead?
My old pap 2t is still going strong, but I may be setting some people up, and will require some new ata's.
--
~ Project Hope ~

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
I am a huge fan of the Panasonic KX-TGP55 deskphone + handsets. I don't use ATA's if I can avoid them, the problem is everyone wants to spend the least money possible on the switch to VoIP and ATA's at the cheapest. People seem to like Obi ATA now days.

If you can afford to spend 3-4x more, Panasonic's cordless handsets have standard/easily replaced rechargeable AA batteries and if they aren't physically damaged your phones last forever.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
I know what you're saying, but I wish to stick with an ATA solution.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to EUS
Yeah, the Obi ATAs blow any of the new Cisco junk out of the water. I run the 202s myself. I had all sorts of issues with the connection randomly dropping (even during calls) and often times not reconnecting until the ATA was rebooted. Ocassionally had one-way audio issues, the wonderful multiple "Hello Hello" when a call came in, etc. Replaced them with Obi202s, and not only have the voice lines been 100% solid and not dropped once with all of the CQ issues resolved, but the fax has been 100% reliable - and even at 33.6 - when it was 50/50 with the Ciscos. I seriously don't know how they can sell those pieces of shit.

I'm running an SPA2100 at home. I haven't had any issues with it, but ATAs of that era were designed by the same guys who do the Obi ATAs right now. So were the PAP2Ts. Those ATAs are pretty solid as it is, even though they're getting a bit long in the tooth. Upgrading to an Obi unit would provide you with a much upgraded feature set, but as far as picking up the phone and dialing or your phone always ringing when your number is called it shouldn't be much different.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Good to know, thx. 3 yrs ago, I had a choice of a PAP2T, or a Chinese knockoff PAP2T from ebay which overheated.
--
~ Project Hope ~

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

reply to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

I am a huge fan of the Panasonic KX-TGP55 deskphone + handsets.

$250 for the set, $80 a pop on the handsets.

That's $410+HST out of the box for my deployment. Do you know how much single malt scotch that is?

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

TomTor2

@bell.ca
reply to Gone
Not sure why people complain so much on SPA-122. I have one and it has been working perfectly for the last 3 months or so. I have two separate lines on it (both use voip.ms) and no problems at all. What kind of problems do you experience with it, exactly? Maybe a firmware upgrade would help? Also, make sure you configure it exactly as explained on voip.ms wiki, especially the timeout part.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by BliZZardX:

That's $410+HST out of the box for my deployment. Do you know how much single malt scotch that is?

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Mike

About 2 bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue.
I have an unopened one here, just waiting for a few friends to drop by......

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to TomTor2
said by TomTor2 :

Not sure why people complain so much on SPA-122. I have one and it has been working perfectly for the last 3 months or so. I have two separate lines on it (both use voip.ms) and no problems at all. What kind of problems do you experience with it, exactly? Maybe a firmware upgrade would help? Also, make sure you configure it exactly as explained on voip.ms wiki, especially the timeout part.

Yes, I know what I'm doing and I've had more than one in service that have exhibited identical problems. Always update the firmware. They're pieces of shit, end of story. I am not the only one who feels this way either. Go search the VoIP forum here or through Google and you'll see the complaints are not limited to just me.

Furthermore, if it was an issue on my end, I would have exhibited the same issues with the Obi202. I do not. Therefore, the rest is obvious - avoid the SPA-1x2 series ATAs like black death!

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

1 recommendation

said by Gone:

said by TomTor2 :

Yes, I know what I'm doing and I've had more than one in service that have exhibited identical problems. Always update the firmware. They're pieces of shit, end of story. I am not the only one who feels this way either. Go search the VoIP forum here or through Google and you'll see the complaints are not limited to just me.

Furthermore, if it was an issue on my end, I would have exhibited the same issues with the Obi202. I do not. Therefore, the rest is obvious - avoid the SPA-1x2 series ATAs like black death!

I upped the input current to 2.5A and it's working like a charm

Zacron
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by zacron:

I upped the input current to 2.5A and it's working like a charm

Seriously? Wow.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
Ya, the power supply that comes with it seems to be under current as I slowly upped the current to it with my bench supply until I was able to make it work properly with a typical handset until I finally put a little more than it's rated for.

I don't have a schematic for the thing but to my recolection when I opened it up, it was ok with the changes.

Giver a try, might help BUT some other revisions MIGHT be built differently... so beware of this.

Zacron
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Yeah, it might be worthwhile. If a higher current power adapter resolves all the issues, the SPA-112 really wouldn't be all too bad.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

4 edits
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by dillyhammer:

said by BliZZardX:

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Mike

About 2 bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue.
I have an unopened one here, just waiting for a few friends to drop by......

It depends how you use your phones, ah? From my perspective, I'm saving hundreds a month by not paying Bell POT's extortionist LD rates when I call an overseas mobile ($0.025/min to SFR Mobile at CWUS vs. $1.39/min at Bell), so the cost of a real IP phone is dirt cheap.

I have tried quiet a few hardware phones, always purchased through 8774e4voip. If you just need a basic deskphone, I found the snom 710 has the best value/features. If you need cordless handsets for a household I really dig the Panasonic's long term value because they don't have proprietary battery packs and are super easy to replace. The cheapest I see, you can get a TGP500 with 3 TPA50 handsets for $335 with shipping via UPS from 8774e4voip, or $355.50 from "CE Showroom" on Amazon. Can also save about 40 bucks COD if the sellers will ship with USPS instead of UPS ($8 brokerage fee at Canada Post vs $51.20 at UPS).

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Yeah, the Obi ATAs blow any of the new Cisco junk out of the water. I run the 202s myself. I had all sorts of issues with the connection randomly dropping (even during calls) and often times not reconnecting until the ATA was rebooted. Ocassionally had one-way audio issues, the wonderful multiple "Hello Hello" when a call came in, etc. Replaced them with Obi202s, and not only have the voice lines been 100% solid and not dropped once with all of the CQ issues resolved, but the fax has been 100% reliable - and even at 33.6 - when it was 50/50 with the Ciscos. I seriously don't know how they can sell those pieces of shit.

The Obi is great... I like that I can remotely change settings with it too. I do get the Hello hello occationally still. But I blame voip.ms but would be willing to conceed it could be a connection issue but I feel this is unlikely.