how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON

Support numbers out of service

Just tried calling the toll free numbers and they are responding as Out of Service?

Whats up?

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10

1 recommendation

»[OUTAGE REPORT] December 17th, 2012 11:14AM

londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON
reply to londoner1

So TSI uses the same phone services (TekTalk) that it sells to customers.....so much for redundancy.....

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

So I guess if someone were having a medical emergency they'd be SOL.........make a great eulogy at the funeral "Well, he signed up for Teksavvy TekTalk and this is what he got.........he did save a few bucks though. Too bad it put him in a grave"

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

We all know that the internet is not 100% reliable. Therefore it is not a surprise VOIP wouldn't be either. It was with great hesitation I got VOIP because of 911 implementation and less reliability than POTS. Everyone with voip should have a backup plan that does not rely on the internet. Whether it is a cell phone or a payphone in the building everyone should have a back up plan in case their primary line doesn't work.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by graniterock:

We all know that the internet is not 100% reliable. Therefore it is not a surprise VOIP wouldn't be either. It was with great hesitation I got VOIP because of 911 implementation and less reliability than POTS. Everyone with voip should have a backup plan that does not rely on the internet. Whether it is a cell phone or a payphone in the building everyone should have a back up plan in case their primary line doesn't work.

I don't think that's the point... Internet is one think, the tektalk service itself going down is even worse. I just asked Elizabeth in the other thread about it since i was considering it but that's a bit of a buzz kill

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to graniterock

said by graniterock:

I think i should add this..

People like myself have added redundancy to my internet. I run off a regular internet connection and my secondary is a sim card with Telus on a mobile plan. So it's not my internet connection i'm concerned about.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Really... you are correct... tektalk / support lines need to be a rock solid service. Its really too bad they aren't. Voip.ms is starting show some cracks so if TekTalk is able to rise to the challenge it could be an opportunity for them. But clearly kinks need to be worked out.

At this stage in the game, as a realist, no voip service has proven itself to be as good as POTS yet and people should plan accordingly. I once phoned 911 on a voip line during a choking emergency. The problem was cleared by the time I got to the operator. She basically told me to use my cell phone next time because the 20 - 40 second delay of having to use 2 operators and the unreliability of VOIP in her opinion could make the difference of life and death in that situation.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to londoner1

VOIP via a good provider goes down once in a blue moon.. Old bell lines can by a simple person who cuts the wire digging. It's happened and has been out for the same amount of time.. (it's happened to many I know) Anyone with VOIP should always have a Cell backup for 911 if the service becomes unavailable. That solves any worries.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to londoner1

I know it's off topic, sorta maybe?

....but, reasons such as VOIP as the big carriers are starting to market them to regular consumers as an alternative phone line to save $$. Reasons such as that are why i'm surprised there isn't better regulation on internet or sold as an essential service (though i consider it luxury if you can afford it).

Times are changing and VOIP is the go to thing, and for that, Rogers or Bell for example should be forced to act upon a given SLA for example on an open ticket from Teksavvy for a customer.

It also shouldn't have stipulations such as a "different SLA if you purchase internet + voip from US at Bell"

Maybe i'm ranting about nothing? I don't know, it sounds right in my head and i could probably explain what i mean better in person. Not everyone is like me who adds redundancy to their internet or home network overall. Regular unsuspecting customers buy voip think it's the end all and be all knowing they have e911 and next thing they know it's useless.

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to londoner1

You know, in my opinion, POTS will remain the most reliable phone technology in place and I will never use voip as my main phone.

Just imagine if someone had a medical emergency, with POTS, you always know it's reliable. With VOIP, if an outage occurs and your cellphone is dead... good luck.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

VOIP via a good provider goes down once in a blue moon.. Old bell lines can by a simple person who cuts the wire digging.

LOL. If only that were true. Reality is far from that.

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

VOIP via a good provider goes down once in a blue moon.. Old bell lines can by a simple person who cuts the wire digging.

That's FAR from reality. Case in point, during the the Northeast blackout of 2003 »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_···_of_2003, POTS were still working. While if VOIP was prevalent in that era, it wouldn't work during that blackout.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to londoner1

WRONG... actually during the blackout, some exchanges did go down for some time. It didn't happen everywhere, but it did happen. I also can tell you wire cuts by idiots digging happen very often in rural areas mostly. Urban sometimes..

VOIP is not at the reliability of pots,.... I'm not saying that it is, but under normal conditions, it is FAIRLY reliable, and no one should have voip without a cell as a backup in case of emergency. With the sure numbers of people with CELL ONLY homes, the likely hood of VOIP, Cell and landline going down at the same time are next to 0. and I would only put 95% as the chance your cell will go out should voip at the same.

I've used voip for the last 6 years and can count on one hand how many times it has went out, and it's never been longer than 2-4 hours at most. 0 times has my cell not worked during this time.