share rss forum feed

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

Video Game Violence...again

I usually listen to NPR at work. Today on two different shows discussing the awful school shooting on Friday, three different people (two panelists and one caller) brought up video game violence as a possible cause of violence in our culture.

There has been a ton of news, but I haven't heard one news outlet say anything about the shooter being a fan of violent games (he could've been, idk). Study after study negates the connection between game violence and actual violence. The Supreme Court has ruled censorship of games unconstitutional. There is a very clear ratings system and more parental control options than any other form of media. And yet, every time something like this happens, the talking heads can't stop at the very least implying that games somehow share a part of the blame. It irks me.

/end rant

Akira 28

join:2002-06-17
Garfield, NJ

1 recommendation

Typical. Blame it on anything other then doods f@cked up head.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
the shooters parents were divorced, the mother was a gun collector who had weapons stockpiked for home defense because it was the "end times" or some shit.

the kid didnt work or have a job

had nothing to do with video games

Coolbrz

join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to bionicRod
I've seen mentioned in other places but cant remember where...but the violent game in questions appears to have been Mass Effect, and it was found on the brothers profile, not even the killer. Sheeple are idiots.

I'm not sure if there is another game in question associated with the actual shooter, havent seen anything.

»www.electronista.com/articles/12···nt.acts/

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to bionicRod
It's like that automatic armor-piercing assault rifle (was listening to some talking head rant about both as it "relates" to the CT massacre), it's the lowest hanging fruit, and the easiest thing to 'ban' to make everyone assuage their guilt and make them feel like they've done something to change the world and make it safer.

They might go ban M-rated games, or blood, or FPS's--whatever makes them feel better. Meanwhile those of us who legally and safely enjoy such pastimes will suffer, so they can "feel" good.

I think I found my new sig.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Coolbrz
said by Coolbrz:

I've seen mentioned in other places but cant remember where...but the violent game in questions appears to have been Mass Effect, and it was found on the brothers profile, not even the killer. Sheeple are idiots.

I'm not sure if there is another game in question associated with the actual shooter, havent seen anything.

Yeah, that was pretty funny. Someone started a "Ban Mass Effect" FB page then change its name to "you N*** got duped" or something of the like after he got subscribers.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
That's a pretty funny story about FB.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to bionicRod
Video games just got mentions number 4 and 5 from two other callers. To his credit, the host (Neal Conan) did mention to one that no study backs up any sort of correlation to video game and actual violence, and to the other that there have been other periods in history where violence like this has been more frequent than other times and there were no video games. Good for him.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

P226 or P239?

I'd go .40 caliber.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by Ghastlyone:

said by Krisnatharok:

P226 or P239?

I'd go .40 caliber.

Yes and yes. Pretty ironic, since I just sold a full-size 9mm I have and I am shopping for a concealable .40 S&W replacement.

Currently thinking of an XD(m) sub or S&W M&P.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Krisnatharok:

P226 or P239?

I'd go .40 caliber.

Yes and yes. Pretty ironic, since I just sold a full-size 9mm I have and I am shopping for a concealable .40 S&W replacement.

Currently thinking of an XD(m) sub or S&W M&P.

I've got a Springfield XD sub compact, .40 cal. It's a badass little gun for sure.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Coolbrz
said by Coolbrz:

Ha! I hadn't seen that. My God people are stupid.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Ghastlyone
The gun I sold was an XD-9 fullsize (5" barrel). Fantastic gun, but too big and cumbersome to carry.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to bionicRod
Well the blame was placed on TV before then, Dungeons and Dragons was next. After they wore that out don't you think they had to place blame elsewhere? Also don't forget, people get paid for this so even if they don't believe it, they will still spread it to keep their job.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

crazediamond
Maybe you shouldn't be so proud?
Premium
join:2002-01-19
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to bionicRod
In separate instances, mentally ill people shoot schools full of kids and instead of contemplating the state of mental health care in this country, people want to blame video games or ban guns or whatever.

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

The gun I sold was an XD-9 fullsize (5" barrel). Fantastic gun, but too big and cumbersome to carry.

I had this same pistol until my wife took it away from me. lol Sweet shooting gun. I got a 45 XDm as a replacement so I'm not complaining. I can actually carry it pretty easy. It is heavy though.
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

1 recommendation

reply to bionicRod
Back before we had video games, we never had violence. We never had shootings, we never had mass murders. We never had any of this.

Oh, wait.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Just some crazy guy blowing up a school full of kids with dynamite.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

Back before we had video games, we never had violence. We never had shootings, we never had mass murders. We never had any of this.

Oh, wait.

There isn't a time before video games. Didn't you know that everyone part of the Spanish Inquisition were all Starcraft junkies, Jack the Ripper never stopped playing GTA, Caesar would spend all his free time shooting shit in Doom, and his senate loved spending their time having some lesbian alien sex in Mass Effect and having zerg raids in Planetside.

Brush up on your history, man.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
It was back in the older days when everything was much better, tougher community, not as much violence around each corner like we have nowadays. Back then there was'nt no such thing as chatrooms, places to talk to people from miles and miles away via your computer, the video games were'nt as violence, now we have GTA and all these games with wide open world, bad language, blood and gore.. Its not meant for children under the age 18 and if you are over the age then don't do anything you see stupid thats on that video game.

People need to grow up, act there age and stop putting cuss words in each and every little sentence they say, i don't see how this will change anything so why even bother. Mankind has changed big time):
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to Cthen
said by Cthen:

Well the blame was placed on TV before then, Dungeons and Dragons was next.

And of course, rock and roll music. Video games getting the blame certainly isn't anything new. It's been going on since Pac-Man was the big thing.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to facepalm
said by facepalm:

said by Krisnatharok:

I had this same pistol until my wife took it away from me. lol Sweet shooting gun. I got a 45 XDm as a replacement so I'm not complaining. I can actually carry it pretty easy. It is heavy though.

I just purchased my Wife an SR9C for christmas, She must of been watching all the BF3 i've been playing lately.
Off-topic I use a glock 27 for concealing, great little gun. I like the XD's too though.

malem83

join:2006-08-25
Quebec, QC
reply to bionicRod
Today, we can see violence anywhere easily. How can video games be the "catalyst" to such demonstration of violence.

I see the banalisation of all sources of violence as the main problem. There is so much of it everywhere (internet, tv, games) that the real thing might not be taken to it right value by an unequilibrated individual.
--
La vie continue ... / Life goes on ...

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
said by malem83:

Today, we can see violence anywhere easily. How can video games be the "catalyst" to such demonstration of violence.

I see the banalisation of all sources of violence as the main problem. There is so much of it everywhere (internet, tv, games) that the real thing might not be taken to it right value by an unequilibrated individual.

That is something you won't here about because it doesn't generate ratings. I also like how the news media will focus on this shooting yet they will not cover the daily shootings in my neighborhood? Ya know, where the kids really learn about violence.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
One time I seen GTA 3 on the news, showed about a minute of how bad the game can get.
The game is old and they broadcasted it nearly the very day it was released. Now its much worse. There's bear in the new GTA games (where GTA 3 did'nt have) and now we have 10 year olds drinking bear on our streets everywhere.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Yeah, kids never drank bear (sic) before GTA showed them how!

Oh, America, your stupid fascination with red herrings.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to bionicRod
I've run across plenty of hookers and drug dealers in GTA4, but never have I seen any bears.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
It's OK to pirate games but consuming furry killer animals is wrong.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
If I ever get arrested for picking up a prostitute, beating the shit out of her, and stealing all her money...I'm totally going to blame it on GTA4.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
blame it on World of Warcraft

saw some idiot on TV last night blaming this tragedy on WoW

are you kidding me?

the kid was a psycho... and then his mother introduced him to guns... and guns was his favorite hobby

the mother was an F-in retard... i haev a disturbed child, let me introduce him to weapons

FFS

rich bitch idiot