Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Weird problem

OK. I got FIOS installed this morning. Prior I had TW cable. I have 2 PCs. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. I had a Cat5 run into the bedroom and was using a Cisco router. All was fine. Now I replaced the Cisco with the FIOS router and can't connect to the bedroom PC. If I plug the cat5 into the Cisco it sees it immediately. If I plug it into the FIOS router, it doesn't see the PC.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

You're using a switch, connected to a switch? --If so, you'll need a crossover cable to do that. --but if that were the case, one of your machines shouldnt be able to see the Internet. Also, the two machines are on the same layer 3 network, right? (on same subnet)? You could also upload a schematic diagram too -- that might help...

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
Mount Vernon, NY

There are no switches involved. I replaced the Cisco router with the FIOS router.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

Both PCs can see the Internet just fine? Maybe there's a speed/duplex mismatch thats making one of the machines somewhat invisible on your network.

So, when everything's plugged into the Cisco, the two PCs can see each other fine, but when they're plugged into the Actiontec, then they can't see each other?

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
Mount Vernon, NY

The Actiontec can't see the bedroom PC at all.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

Have you tried more than one of the lan ports in the back of the Actiontec? Wondering if you may have a bad port on the Actiontec itself.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pathfinder

Solved it. There was an open in one jack. Posting from the Bedroom now. Why it worked with the Cisco and not the Actiontec is beyond me.

Supposed to be 35/35. Have to check the upload. Haven't run the optimizer yet.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

once you optimize upload will increase

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1

speedtest.net and other sites like that; ex. speedtest.comcast.net, do not display upload properly.

Use these instead for a more proper indication of speeds:

Best so far: »speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/

»http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

»ndt.iupui.lga01.measurement-lab.org:7123/