urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora

Re: What happend to 2.88MB Floppy Disk's

I store my archival discs vertically, as recommended, in the appropriate environmental conditions and my archived discs from the 90's are starting to degrade. Most of my discs from 1994, created with Kodak 'lifetime' discs, are exhibiting media read errors.

Many of my no-name discs from the late 90's and early 00's are a complete write-off (but I knew that buying them at the time).

I've had good luck with Verbatim DVD+R's standing the (limited) test of time I've been using them, since the mid 00's.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

I've had good luck with Verbatim DVD+R's standing the (limited) test of time I've been using them, since the mid 00's.

I had some circa 1995 / 1996 Microsoft pressed (not burned) CD's and was cleaning the house. Prior to tossing them, checked to see if they seemed readable. A complete test was not done as these are 1x media, but the files seemed to be there on a quick check.

I've had mixed results with some older burned DVD's, one was left out in light for a few months, and needed data recovery (it was about 6 years old). Most of the pictures stored on it were recovered, but not all. So far, that was my only bad experience with an older (6 years old) burned DVD. I do not recall the maker. At the moment I'm using Philips DVD-R.