Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Siko
Premium
join:2006-11-27
Mechanicsburg, PA

[WIN8] Unable to boot and reinstall windows

Today, when I boot up my hp dm4-3050us, my laptop encountered a reboot loop. This is with Windows 8. What it would do is boot through the spinning icon and then quickly pulls out the BSOD and reboots automatically without any time to read the error message. This would go on indefinitely.

So, I switched over to my ubuntu partition in order to see if it is a hardware issue and it would boot up fine. Under the grub2 manager, there was an option to boot up using the windows recovery loader. Once I selected that, it had the typical screen to repair startup-up problems; however, I couldn't select anything because it said "boot selection failed because required device is inaccessible".

After that I decided to try reinstall windows. I was about to downgrade back to windows 7 anyways after Christmas so why not do it now. I entered my windows 7 disk and it loaded until it said "starting windows". There it would sit there and stall out. I have waited for over an hour and nothing happens. I tried it again by booting up with my windows 8 disk. If I did that, the computer would run into a BSOD and automatically restart my machine, similar to what happened if I boot it off of the harddrive. I do not even get any option to reinstall the option system or use any tools on the CD.

Currently, I am using Ubuntu 12.04 to access my folders and files on my windows partition. What other thing could I try to fix my problems?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
Can you boot into safe mode? If so, you can turn off the automatic reboot after the BSOD. That will give you a chance to read it. You may also be able to do this within Ubuntu, but not sure about that. This setting *should* be available in Windows 8 somewhere, hopefully in the same place the article points to.

»www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-···-reboot/

Also, if you can get to the mini dump file for the error, you can zip it up and post it here for someone to take a look at.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,085 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Siko
Premium
Mechanicsburg, PA

1 edit
Unfortunately, I am unable to boot into safe mode. When I press f8 to access the boot screen, it goes through the same loops. If I continue to spam f8 on boot up, the spinning dots on bootup just keeps on going around in a circle and hangs until I stop press f8.

The memory.dmp file on windows is over 1.3gigs and was last change on Dec 11. I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be this big and with the last access date of Dec 11, I'm think that it wouldn't contain the issues I am having today.

EDIT: So, I went ahead and deleted the partition. I tried to reinstall windows 7 and windows 8 and still no avail. They would get stuck at the same point even before reformatting. When I ran the windows 8 disk, it gave me a BSOD and an automatic restart.. I don't even know why would it give me a BSOD while I'm running on the DVD.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
Since you're having problems with the dvd it seems it's a hardware issue, might just be something that got fubar in the bios settings, or a loose connection? Any recent hardware changes? I'm assuming Win 8 used to boot fine on the dual boot with Ubuntu.

Have you done some basic memory, and hdd diagnostics. I've seen strange things happen when the memory, or hdd was going bad.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Siko
Premium
Mechanicsburg, PA

1 recommendation

said by BlitzenZeus:

Since you're having problems with the dvd it seems it's a hardware issue, might just be something that got fubar in the bios settings, or a loose connection? Any recent hardware changes? I'm assuming Win 8 used to boot fine on the dual boot with Ubuntu.

Have you done some basic memory, and hdd diagnostics. I've seen strange things happen when the memory, or hdd was going bad.

Yet, it was a hardware issue. I decided to run a memtest and i received a boat load of errors. I switched out my 16gig to my 6 gig previously and now it works again.

My question is why would it boot it in Ubuntu and recognize my 16gig but not in Windows? What is different about it.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
I take it the system took a tumble, or when you installed the memory you didn't run a memory test. I've installed brand new memory, and had it come up with errors even after reseating it to make sure the connection was secure. I always let memtest run twice.

When memory corruption occurs in non-critical locations it might not be apparent, if your windows even boots with bad memory everything from the os, to programs will crash. I've seen it where only programs, mostly games that used over 1GB of memory would only trigger it, and would crash like crazy as it was a later module on the stick.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Siko
Premium
Mechanicsburg, PA
After I order the memory, I've heard reviews that it was prone to causing errors. On the first day that I received it, I did run a memtest and all the tests went fine. Now 6 weeks later (2 weeks after the refund period for memory), it decides to crap out on me. Time to go RMA and hopefully the replacement will last longer than this one. If anyone is interested it is with a Corsair CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9.