Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Helpanoob

join:2012-12-16
Richmond, VA

[Northeast] Newbie Question about my network setup

Hello!

I'm new here so pardon my lack of technical knowledge in networking. I have Verizon FiOS cable TV and internet. Currently I'm using the Actiontec M1424WR (not sure which revision but its a VERY OLD modem/router - with only wireless G capabilities). Its time for an upgrade from this crappy router - the speeds my family and I get on this network is horrendous (download speeds of ~ 8 Mbps and upload speeds of ~8.66 Mbps according to speedtest.net).

I'm wondering if its possible to use the Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB2500) and buy a new router such as the Netgear N600 to setup my home network? Is it necessary to have a modem? I'm confused on this issue and would like some clarification please.

What I what:

Connect coax to adapter --> then using an Ethernet cable, connect the adapter to my router = a viable home network?

Any help on the matter would be appreciated!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
No, the ECB2500 does not support MOCA WAN.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to use a MOCA WAN bridge?

Helpanoob

join:2012-12-16
Richmond, VA
Then what is the best way to modify my network without using the Actiontec router/modem?

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
said by Helpanoob:

Then what is the best way to modify my network without using the Actiontec router/modem?

You wouldn't. I would just turn off the actiontec wifi and hang the other router behind it.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to Helpanoob
said by Helpanoob:

See your options here:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

BTW, the Actiontec is a router, not a modem.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

1 edit
reply to Gordo74

said by Gordo74 See Profile
You wouldn't. I would just turn off the actiontec wifi and hang the other router behind it.

I was installed last month and had some speed issues on wireless. I did exactly this. I took my 'old' Asus RT-N16 plugged it into the Actiontech. I turned off DHCP on the ASUS and turned off wireless on the Actiontech. I also assigned the Asus a static IP that was in the same subnet as the Actiontech.

Typically you would just hook an Ethernet cable between lan ports of each device (In my cases the ASUS and Actiontech). I was able to remap the Wan port on my ASUS and use that but I am running a custom firmware (Tomato). Just run a ethernet cable between the Actiontech and the Netgear lan ports or whatever you end up getting.

Works great and I get pretty much 55/30 on speed tests (paying for 50/25).