Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone

1 edit

[Chrome] I wound up on a strange search engine results page

In Chrome, I tried to type "united.com" in the omni-bar (where the URL goes)... hit enter or clicked and I wound up instead at this page:

hxxp://www.answergrab.com/search/?q=united&t=H4192672&sid=CM-qcfBvHWj-mMdVJdH7oQ&utm_source=H&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=H4192672

I've checked all the Search Engines installed in Chrome and none of them match "answergrab". My default search engine is Google and if I don't type in a correct URL, I normally get google results instead. If I type into the omni-bar, Google is still the default and seems to be working just fine.

I also ran 3 different scans yesterday for spyware, malware, viruses, etc. just yesterday..running them again now.

I suppose my typing "united.com" into the omni-bar may have generated some of those instant search results from Google that change on the page as you continue to type more letters into the omni-bar...and that I may have inadvertently clicked on one of those links generated by my typing...but can't replicate that finding. (Instead, now when I start typing United.com the page stays on whatever it was on..but if i diverge from the exact spelling, then the page goes to those instant/anticipatory google search results.)

Just documenting this.

But if anyone can figure out if there's anything "wrong" with answergrab, please let me know.
--
YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably.
»www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart

ritanon

@ziggo.nl

Maybe I'm off base, but kinda reminds me of the google redirect 'virus'.

»www.google.com/search?q=google+r···ct+virus

Also check your scheduled tasks for randomly named tasks, run into such a variant once.

jeff17

join:2000-12-11
US
reply to koam

Also check for hidden toolbars. Any number of websites or software could have installed something that changed your search engine, easy to change back too. Also, did you set up an new DNS addresses lately?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to koam

Keep a close eye on things in the near future. Some of the newer redirect variants are designed to only intervene with a rogue search every so often and to rotate through several candidate engines when they do, so as to reduce chances of user detection and removal. If you get another one fairly soon, whether answergrab or some other, I'd look more deeply on the system for an adware/malware issue.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
reply to ritanon

Thanks, I don't see anything in Tasks that point to this kind of thing. All of the tasks in the library with "random" names are associated with software packages.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
reply to jeff17

I haven't changed DNS and my DNS settings seem to be automatic.

How would I check for hidden toolbars?

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
reply to Blackbird

Thanks. It has only happened that one time and may have been caused by what I guessed in the OP.

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to koam

said by koam:

In Chrome, I tried to type "united.com" in the omni-bar (where the URL goes)... hit enter or clicked and I wound up instead at this page:

hxxp://www.answergrab.com/search/?q=united&t=H4192672&sid=CM-qcfBvHWj-mMdVJdH7oQ&utm_source=H&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=H4192672

I've checked all the Search Engines installed in Chrome and none of them match "answergrab". My default search engine is Google and if I don't type in a correct URL, I normally get google results instead. If I type into the omni-bar, Google is still the default and seems to be working just fine.

I also ran 3 different scans yesterday for spyware, malware, viruses, etc. just yesterday..running them again now.

I suppose my typing "united.com" into the omni-bar may have generated some of those instant search results from Google that change on the page as you continue to type more letters into the omni-bar...and that I may have inadvertently clicked on one of those links generated by my typing...but can't replicate that finding. (Instead, now when I start typing United.com the page stays on whatever it was on..but if i diverge from the exact spelling, then the page goes to those instant/anticipatory google search results.)

Just documenting this.

But if anyone can figure out if there's anything "wrong" with answergrab, please let me know.

What ISP do you use? I know that some ISP's redirect search results
--
GuruGuy

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to koam

Speaking of "middle manning" search results who's is Security News Portal.

»www.securitynewsportal.com/secur···lts_page

Strange choice for a result page, but they link direct to here.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I have seen a lot of that of recent times too.

As for the OP, there has been at times where wording has been redirected similarly - not very often but it does. I've not found anything relative, but you can bet if there wasn't a mis-type or click then the dns cache is possibly best cleared, as it is corruption or poisoning, and neither are good and clearing the caches is possibly the best result initially. Because if it is repeated then after this and a possible reboot, you know you have concerns. It just helps define the path ahead.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke