uniqs
awebber
Premium Member
join:2003-04-02
Gloucester, ON

awebber

Premium Member

Primus Canada ATA to cable modem?

I'm trying to connect a Primus TalkBroadband ATA (DVG-1120) to a Comcast modem/router in the US. The ATA was working fine in Canada last week, and has worked on various modems and routers (including Comcast) in the past.

Now it's plugged into an Xfinity Wireless Gateway (modem/router combo) and the red light has been blinking for hours. I can login to the router and see the ATA as a connected device (it was configured to get IP address from DHCP, its previous setting was between a cable modem and router; it's also been behind routers before). I haven't plugged in a phone yet, I believe the status light should go green even without a phone?

I asked on the Comcast forum and they suggested maybe some port forwarding, it's never needed it before but this Xfinity device does seem somewhat locked down.

Are there specific configuration things I can try on either the ATA or the router?

Thanks!
=aw

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro

The DVG-1120 use MGCP to connect to Primus. I think MGCP is supposed to use the UDP port 2427, so you can try to forward that to your ATA's IP. Or you can try first to put the ATA in the DMZ of your Xfinity modem/router and if that works OK then you know you should start looking at port forwarding.
awebber
Premium Member
Gloucester, ON

awebber

Premium Member

Thanks, I tried the DMZ route and got blinking red. Also tried Port Forwarding (which I as I understand it, was sure to fail given the DMZ result?) and got red blinking. I found this »Primus TalkBroadband VoIP FAQ »What ports does TBB use ? Do I need to use port forwarding for TBB service? which says PF is not necessary but also says "never say never".

I've never needed to set up a device as DMZ before, in effect it's connected directly to the modem? So while insecure, nothing should be in its way?

I still haven't logged in to the ATA (no one can find the password, it's been that long). I guess that's the next thing, and if we can't find the password, do a factory reset?

Thanks!
=aw

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to awebber

to awebber
Well, the only thing I can think of is to login to the ATA and make sure it receives an IP address from the router and it can reach the internet (you can check by connecting a wired PC to the LAN port of the ATA and trying to access a few sites).
Otherwise I don't know what's the next step. You could try the ATA in a different place, with a different internet connection and different modem/router combination.
awebber
Premium Member
Gloucester, ON

awebber

Premium Member

I finally figured out the ATA's admin password and am writing this while connected to its LAN port.

It agrees with the Comcast modem/router that its IP address is 10.0.0.5 and obviously it's got internet access, since I'm writing this. Meanwhile the red status light is still blinking (I've now got a phone plugged in, though my experience is that it's not a factor for the statuslight). No dial tone.

I'm stumped, Comcast says they block nothing (confirmed here), and Primus says Comcast sometimes does, but DMZ and PF didn't fix it.

Any other suggestions most welcome, we can get Xfinity Voice for $20/mo but that's $20 more than we wanted to ;pay, and it allmakes me nervous for when we return home.

-aw