Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to onebadmofo

MVM,

to onebadmofo

Re: Trying to print to network printers

Looks like not was right. At least you know that the printer is being added with the correct path now and it's talking to the AD server.

Are you currently logged in with a local account or domain account on the Mac? If you login with the same domain account on a Windows PC, you can print to the shared printer without an issue?

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

In addition, the printer shares you're seeing in AD can also be security controlled to give just certain people access to print to it. If you aren't a member of a group or your individual account isn't added to the printer share to have access, you won't be able to print to it.

I have to ask though... if it's printing via IP direct printing, what's the big deal? It's actually more efficient this way anyway, you're asking the printer to do all the spooling work as taking one thing out of the chain by not adding additional work on the 2003 server. Where's the issue here? Yes, it's not connected via the share, but who cares... in a way, you're actually breaking the security the company has probably put in place to keep people from printing on printers they don't want you to... unless you connect to them directly via IP and skip the server middleman who's providing access security.

Also, 2003 server has some limitations in terms of printer share access to a Mac, so this may be some where your issues are coming from. Do yourself a favor and if it's printing via IP, leave it at that. Unless you're going to lose your job over printing to a printer you're not supposed to, congratulations, you've solved your problem... now go on with life.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
Umm...well...thats the thing. I was able to join the Mac to the domain. The user name I'm using is just a username to the Mac. If I were to change that to match my domain username, would that constitute me logging into the domain?

And yes logging onto a windows machine with the proper domain creeds will allow you to print to it.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to not

Premium Member

to not
said by not :

In addition, the printer shares you're seeing in AD can also be security controlled to give just certain people access to print to it. If you aren't a member of a group or your individual account isn't added to the printer share to have access, you won't be able to print to it.

nah that's not an issue here. I have admin rights to everything. (as does everyone else in IT) And none of our printers have security restrictions on them.

I have to ask though... if it's printing via IP direct printing, what's the big deal? It's actually more efficient this way anyway, you're asking the printer to do all the spooling work as taking one thing out of the chain by not adding additional work on the 2003 server. Where's the issue here? Yes, it's not connected via the share, but who cares... in a way, you're actually breaking the security the company has probably put in place to keep people from printing on printers they don't want you to... unless you connect to them directly via IP and skip the server middleman who's providing access security.

Also, 2003 server has some limitations in terms of printer share access to a Mac, so this may be some where your issues are coming from. Do yourself a favor and if it's printing via IP, leave it at that. Unless you're going to lose your job over printing to a printer you're not supposed to, congratulations, you've solved your problem... now go on with life.

I see your point. And agree with the efficiency when adding via IP. But if the CEO or any other user who has a Mac, has to add a printer, they're not going to know how to do it via IP. The simplicity of adding a printer from the list is a much easier way for the end user to go about doing it.

Also in our company all printers are accessible from anyone. Printers are basically assigned by location of where the end user is at in the building.

And I was thinking 2003 might be an issue here. And had a thought of moving the printers to a win 7 server. But that would be a HUGE task...moving every printer individually.

oooor...I could simply copy the printers that would be used by Mac to a Win 7 server and see if that helps.
hmmm...any thoughts on if that would work better?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to onebadmofo

MVM,

to onebadmofo
If you're not logging into the Mac with a domain user account, that's almost definitely the problem. The AD server would have to be setup so anybody could print, not just Domain Members.

If you login to the Mac using a domain user name, it should print.

You could also try manually editing the printer URL in the CUPS interface to:

smb: //user:password@domainserver/printername