All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GrantC
join:2012-12-13

GrantC

CenturyLink DSL in Oregon - frequent disconnects

Having problems with my DSL service. The modem (Actiontec M1000) drops the connection anywhere from every 15 minutes to every couple of hours.

The SNR starts out at 24 to 32 dB, and drops over a period of time to around 10-12 dB, at which point the connection drops. A minute or two later the connection is re-established, at which time the SNR is back up to the 24-32 dB range - and drops over time.

This problem started about the time the fall rains began, and is definitely worse on rainy/wet days than on dry (or semi-dry) days. I've checked the NIB, and it appears to be bone dry.

I do not know how far I am from the DSLAM. (I believe I know where it is, but I don't know the routing. As the crow flies it's about 3500 feet.) The only phone in the house it properly filtered and plugged into a separate physical wire run.

I used the support form that the CL representatives on the forum are always pointing people to. I got a response asking for two phone numbers where I could be reached, which I gave them. That was a month ago; I've sent two emails since asking for assistance, with no answer.

(It sounds pompous, but I really don't have time to go through the 45-minute wait to talk to a first level employee who reads from the script and asks me if my computer's plugged in. If there's a way to bypass that and immediately get the call escalated, I'd sure like to hear about it!)

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Can you please post all your line stats? Thanks.
GrantC

GrantC

Is this what you need?

Service is currently up, and has been for a total of 19 hours (a record, actually - the longest uptime I've gotten in the past couple of months was 6 hours.) As soon as it drops, I'll post the updated numbers:

VPI: 0
VCI: 32
DSL Mode Setting: MMODE
DSL Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: Showtime
Speed (down/up): 3072 / 640 Kbps
Number of Retrains: 6
Number of Retrains Elapsed Time: 29 Hours 22 Mins 45 Secs
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors (I/F) : 1/0
Far End CRC Errors (I/F) : 0/0
Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) : 0/0
Far End CRC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) : 0/0
Near End RS FEC (I/F) : 12036/0
Far End RS FEC (I/F) : 1829/0
Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) : 0/0
Far End FEC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) : 0/0
Discarded Packets(Within last 30 mins): 0
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 30/22
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 35/19

I can't find any sort of log function for this modem in its control panel. You'd think there would be one, but I sure don't see it!

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Number of Retrains Elapsed Time: 29 Hours 22 Mins 45 Secs That looks good.

Near End RS FEC (I/F) : 12036/0
Far End RS FEC (I/F) : 1829/0

That does not look good. These are errors corrected at the CO/your MODEM and do not need to be retransmitted.

Power cycle the M1000 and see if the errors go away or keep on coming.
GrantC

1 edit

GrantC

Ironically, as I checked in here the connection failed for the first time in 2.5 days - and it just started raining last night.

Here are the line stats just as the connection failed:

Session Time:0
Packets Sent:1295
Packets Received:224

Broadband Status
VPI:0
VCI:32
DSL Mode Setting:MMODE
DSL Negotiated Mode:NOT TRAINED
Connection Status:Idle
Speed (down/up):0 / 0 Kbps
Number of Retrains:54
Number of Retrains Elapsed Time:72 Hours 29 Mins 20 Secs
ATM QoS class:UBR
Near End CRC Errors (I/F) :647/0
Far End CRC Errors (I/F) :8/0
Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) :0/0
Far End CRC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) :0/0
Near End RS FEC (I/F) :78086/0
Far End RS FEC (I/F) :1067/0
Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) :0/0
Far End FEC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) :0/0
Discarded Packets(Within last 30 mins):0
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream):5/6
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):45/28

Here they are AFTER a power-down and connection re-established:

Session Time:0hr 0min 42sec
Packets Sent:225
Packets Received:177

Broadband Status
VPI:0
VCI:32
DSL Mode Setting:MMODE
DSL Negotiated Mode:G.DMT
Connection Status:Showtime
Speed (down/up):3072 / 576 Kbps
Number of Retrains:2
Number of Retrains Elapsed Time:0 Hours 5 Mins 18 Secs
ATM QoS class:UBR
Near End CRC Errors (I/F) :167/0
Far End CRC Errors (I/F) :0/0
Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) :59/0
Far End CRC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) :0/0
Near End RS FEC (I/F) :29716/0
Far End RS FEC (I/F) :0/0
Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) :7276/0
Far End FEC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) :0/0
Discarded Packets(Within last 30 mins):0
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream):12/6
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):43/26

Note the low SNR, and only 42 seconds into the connection.

As I was pasting the info in, the connection dropped again! This is getting really, really annoying.
GrantC

1 edit

GrantC to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark
I don't know what's happened, but suddenly the connection got a whole lot better:

Session Time: 0hr 20min 46sec
Packets Sent: 3994
Packets Received: 3538

Broadband Status
Number of Retrains: 7
Number of Retrains Elapsed Time: 1 Hours 17 Mins 50 Secs
Near End CRC Errors (I/F) : 1/0
Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) : 0/0
Near End RS FEC (I/F) : 544/0
Far End RS FEC (I/F) : 0/0
Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) : 0/0
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 28/21
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 36/20

Oh, never mind - it just went down again!
GrantC

GrantC to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark
Been dropping constantly all morning...I've powered down several times to no avail. Here's the latest:

LCP State: up
IPCP State: up
Authentication Failures: 0
Session Time: 0hr 8min 11sec
Packets Sent: 14818
Packets Received: 14222

Broadband Status
Number of Retrains: 21
Number of Retrains Elapsed Time: 2 Hours 11 Mins 31 Secs
Near End CRC Errors (I/F) : 83/0
Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) : 6/0
Near End RS FEC (I/F) : 66300/0
Far End RS FEC (I/F) : 30/0
Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins)(I/F) : 1632/0
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 12/7
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 44/28

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

If you had rain/wetness during the drops, I think it is time for CL to step up and see what is going on. A bad MODEM can exhibit your symptoms.

Do you have another MODEM to troubleshoot with? The M1000 does cause this type of behavior. They are susceptible to noise on the line more than other MODEMs.

Have you checked your NID for water intrusion? Have you tried connecting at the NID and see what results you get?

If you get no joy, it is time to call CL. There is only so much that you can do.
GrantC

1 edit

GrantC

said by Irish Shark:

Do you have another MODEM to troubleshoot with? The M1000 does cause this type of behavior. They are susceptible to noise on the line more than other MODEMs.

No, unfortunately I don't. If I were to buy a new modem, what brand/model would you suggest?

Have you checked your NID for water intrusion? Have you tried connecting at the NID and see what results you get?

The box appears to be dry; there is a DSL splitter in the box - is there an easy way to connect directly?

If you get no joy, it is time to call CL. There is only so much that you can do.

Any tips on how to get past their front-line screeners that take up so much time?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Send a detailed email to: talktous@centurylink.com
Reference this thread and tell them your username. Include your account number, DSL telephone number, and contact info.
You need a tech to check your line from the DSLAM to the NID for water intrusion and corroded connection points.

First, I would connect the modem to the test jack at the NID and see if the problem continues. If it goes away, the problem is in your wiring. If it continues, the problem is further up the line.
GrantC

GrantC

said by billaustin:

First, I would connect the modem to the test jack at the NID and see if the problem continues. If it goes away, the problem is in your wiring. If it continues, the problem is further up the line.

Can't figure out how to do that - there is a DSL splitter in the NID. Can I use one of the other test jacks?

Since they haven't responded to the first email (read the OP), I finally broke down and went through their customer disservice line yesterday. After 45 minutes of things like making sure the modem was plugged in and using a different ethernet cable (I wish I were kidding), they agreed to send out a tech. Unfortunately he won't be here until the day after Christmas...

dslhlpr
@qwest.net

dslhlpr to GrantC

Anon

to GrantC
just curious, but what is at 3500ft that makes you think it is a DSLAM? If there is a DSLAM at 3500ft or even if you figure double that distance, you should be able to get more than 3m. Last I checked 3, 5, and 7m where the same price. At least in the old qwest areas.

no a speed upgrade won't fix your problem. But might be worth mentioned to the tech, if you looking for additional speed.
GrantC

2 edits

GrantC

Huh? Who's talking about a speed increase? I sure haven't mentioned it. As Shark has pointed out, the M1000 I currently have is known for having issues with line noise. I want better resistance to line noise, which is why I'm looking at a new modem.

(Oh, and what's at 3500' that makes me think there's a DSLAM? The brick building that says CenturyLink on the side, which I recall is where the last tech said it was.)
GrantC

GrantC

Well, the problem appears to be solved. The techs (who really knew their stuff) quickly found a leaking or failed junction box of some sort on one of the the main feeds coming out of their bunker. They switched our line over to another feed and all seems to be well.

As the tech said "yeah, it was pretty obvious once we started looking. Your line was a mess." Funny - the CS person in Bangalore said it was perfectly fine!
kemistry12
join:2013-01-12

kemistry12

Hey Grant, I'm also in Oregon and am currently having this problem. A tech came out the other day to look at my line but he didn't see anything that was wrong (??). I'm getting annoyed and thinking of going for comcast cable :\

Does the problem go away for you for good or do you still get disconnected occasionally?
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to GrantC

to GrantC
Hey GrantC, this is B with the CenturyLink Help Team. I'm sorry to hear you had this type of experience with us, but I'm glad that your issue has been resolved.

If you ever run into any other issues, send us your info with our online webform, and we'll be happy to help out: »bit.ly/IArNlt

Thanks GrantC,
B
CenturyLink Help Team