All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to AJ102

to AJ102

Re: What happened to Shaw's ping time?

How do you guys find the call quality using voip.ms servers in the US when making Canadian calls?

I'm finding better call quality going to toronto2.voip.ms than seattle.

Just curious
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

Being on the west coast I've only used Seattle and Los Angeles, but I choose the server mainly by ping time. As long as the ping time is low, I don't notice any call quality problems.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Low ping times are good, but jitter is a bigger factor in call quality.

I'll take 1 ms jitter and 80 ms pings, compared to 20 (or higher) ms jitter and 14 ms ping.

Comparing to Canadian servers or US ones, no difference in the servers, just the routes to them.

-Posted from my phone.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

Shaw's route to certain Seattle providers takes you around to South California through Comcast routing and then back up the coast to Seattle (5000 extra km).

If that route is overloaded, you will be switched to a Peer1 route (transit for which is more expensive), and you'll get the 15ms pings to all destinations in Seattle.

I've long been arguing that Shaw should use Peer1 west coast route for all west coast requests, but it seems Shaw has a sweet bilateral deal with Comcast.

Don't like it...use Novus - if your building has it, in their case they use Peer1's infrastructure almost exclusively.