share rss forum feed

u475700
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast

ZyWALL USG 20 Phones Home Daily to ZyXEL

The ZyWALL USG 20 phones home daily to ZyXEL supposedly to verify the status of any supplemental licensed products even when there were never any installed or currently registered. There is no provision to disable this "feature." Technical Support suggested that ZyXEL wants to monitor the status of the devices for unspecified reasons but could not identify what information is actually sent.

If you prefer that your equipment not to report back to ZyXEL just to stay in touch, please send a note to that effect to support@zyxel.com and refer to case number 147179.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

It sounds interesting. Thank you, u475700 See Profile for heads up. I don't run this model right now. Can anybody else check and confirm that too?

The last thing one would expect (or wants to discover) from router is that it phones to some host on the Internet without explicit permission of its owner...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to u475700

This is known issue with the USG series unfortunately.
The other is that there are hard-coded DNS servers that USG uses for "system" type requests i.e. NTP time.

Both issues should be fixed and user should be able to control it ... unfortunately ZyXel seem to care very little

EDIT: Now I'm not sure, there are either DNS servers hard-coded or NTP servers hard-coded, or both. I'd need to do some sniffing to refresh my memory.

horacebork
Premium
join:2011-03-17
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

i have added dns servers to custom ip addresses and added them on top of the default dns server (which i detest).
i am using opendns.com

seems to keep that deplorable uneditable dns server out of the loop.
--
".. the sofa has just vanished." ".. well, that's one mystery less."

bverdon2

@comcast.net
reply to u475700

How did you determine this?

u475700
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast

I happened to see these messages in the log and then called ZyXEL technical support:

notice myZyXEL.com Do expiration daily-check has succeeded. EXPIRATION_CHECK
error myZyXEL.com The product has not been registered yet. EXPIRATION_CHECK
info myZyXEL.com Time is up. Do exipration daily-check. EXPIRATION_CHECK