how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nemo888

join:2005-12-25
Canada

1 recommendation

Bite Me Copyright Trolls. I'll Upload More!

So I now need to pay 100$ year for a VPN. Luckily with encryption compression I should be able to upload even more than I used to. I get access to HULU and US Netflix in the bargain. I also get to tell you to go pound sand.

You slimy trolls will get nothing from me.
I plan to fight you constantly.
What you call copyright I call market distortion.
What you call a civil action I call corporate extortion.
In Canada we think you are devious and sly,
Merry Christmas, I hope you die.

So can a mod pin a VPN review thread? Time to fight. They can't shut down the entire internet for their outdated and broken business model. One percenters can kiss my ass.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by Nemo888:

Luckily with encryption compression I should be able to upload even more than I used to.

Unless everything you're uploading is text content then this will not help you at all. The typical file formats for things such as movies, music, images, games, etc. are using compression and very efficient algorithms at that. Additional compression on top of that will not help at all. You're just wasting CPU cycles for no gain.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Nemo888
A VPN won't make you safe from this, you know.

Boop

@beanfield.net
Why not ?
All that Voltage will get is the name of the VPN provider.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
reply to Nemo888
And then They will proceed to sue the vpn provider for your Info..
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

globus9991

join:2004-11-14
Argelia
said by morisato:

Right...
And how *exactly* would they to do so if the VPN company is Russian, established in Latvia with a VPN server in Brazil? Just to mention one possible combination?
Oh.. did I forget to mention that this VPN company does *NOT* keep *any* logs????
Gimme a break.
VPNs are safe as long as you use a modicum of common sense.
However, if you, for example, get a Canadian VPN service and use a Canadian VPN server, then... well... you get what you pay for.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
said by globus9991:

said by morisato:

Right...
And how *exactly* would they to do so if the VPN company is Russian, established in Latvia with a VPN server in Brazil? Just to mention one possible combination?
Oh.. did I forget to mention that this VPN company does *NOT* keep *any* logs????
Gimme a break.
VPNs are safe as long as you use a modicum of common sense.
However, if you, for example, get a Canadian VPN service and use a Canadian VPN server, then... well... you get what you pay for.

yes lets tell voltage and others how to sue people for free
HOW about keep shit to yourself what your doing....its mouth pieces like this that sink ships
remember your enemy is here as well.

huh2000

@swissinet.com
reply to bt
said by bt:

A VPN won't make you safe from this, you know.

How does a VPN not help with personal privacy?

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Boop
said by Boop :

Why not ?
All that Voltage will get is the name of the VPN provider.

And depending who and where that VPN is, they act like your provider, just like Teksavvy.

Voltage could also seek a court judgement. But a lot of these online proxies would cave-in before spending a dime on you.

Do you think a VPN is some sort of magic hall-pass? Tell me. Do you?

Boop

@beanfield.net
reply to morisato
Yes, but -

1. Most VPNs don't save logs at all - for exactly that reason.
The are not an ISP, they are not required to save any logs.

2. If the VPN is outside North America (and really you should
choose one that is) then that would be almost impossible.

globus9991

join:2004-11-14
Argelia
reply to Nemo888
To "funny"
Intersting, your Reply button is "locked"...

Anyhooo "yes lets tell voltage and others how to sue people for free
HOW about keep shit to yourself what your doing....its mouth pieces like this that sink ships
remember your enemy is here as well."

The point is that they cannot. It is irrelevant if they have this info or not. For now, if you follow these rules, you are safe. Eventually, the way this is going, countries will make it easier and easier to sue internationally. Until that happens, enjoy! This has *nothing* to do with Voltage and there is *nothing* that Voltage can do about it.

Hopefuly, by then, there will be other solution.

So, why not help your fellow internauts?

swe3tdave

join:2008-02-01
Sainte-Catherine-De-Hatley, QC
reply to Nemo888
Even if you get a seedbox, you still have to pay for the box, so the transaction is traceable back to you, it does provide an additionnal layer of protection, since any canadian entity trying to get you will likely be looking for canadian ip adresses... if your seedbox is somewhere else, you are more likely to be left alone. but its not foolproof, your isp will still see a suspicious connection from your pc to your seedbox. And i'm pretty sure seedbox servers ip adresses are pretty well known and easy to find... if you want HULU and US Netflix, get an unblock-us.com account. Trust me if you want free stuff, go and try Linux or something.
--
David Giard

mahhnameis

@teksavvy.com
reply to hm
They are not after people who know what they are doing. They are after people who don't. The people that do not are the majority of the "pirates".
Expand your moderator at work

swe3tdave

reply to Nemo888

Re: Bite Me Copyright Trolls. I'll Upload More!

anyway, the only thing that voltage pictures has, is a bunch of movies and a few tv series... nothing that i can't rent if i really wanna see it. And seriously, use your head before you download something... Downloading Movies is seriously risky, anyone should know that, even if we dont usually see copyright infringement in canada, it doesn't mean that there is never gonna be any.
--
David Giard

swe3tdave

1 edit
reply to mahhnameis
ok i get the idea here, your a pirate only if you get caught... otherwise, they can say what they want but what your doing is "ethically" correct.. Well you know what they say, no good deed ever go unpunished. Seriously, you can't say something is correct or not if someone else think otherwise. You have to respect their wishes in the light of the day, and fight for what you believe in the darkest night.

EDIT: And by "fight for what you believe" i dont mean download it anyway, i mean go advocate an opposing view. This is a good start: Free Movie(totally legal): Zeitgeist - Moving Forward:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9WVZddH9w

--
David Giard

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

reply to morisato
said by morisato:

*sigh*....Here we go again:

1) Rent cheap linux VPS

2) Setup your own vpn server

3) Purge your own logs

4) umad Voltage?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting
Expand your moderator at work

swe3tdave

reply to d4m1r

Re: Bite Me Copyright Trolls. I'll Upload More!

ok, and what stopping voltage from going after the datacenter your vps is running from? Its not like its impossible to log whats going on in a datacenter from outside your little vps...

be a good kid and follow the rules, direct your anger at something constructive...
--
David Giard

John2086

join:2012-03-09
quote:
be a good kid and follow the rules, direct your anger at something constructive...
There are people who have followed the rules and still have been falsely accused of copyright infringement by Voltage. So apparently following the rules won't make a difference either -- you can still be threatened with a lawsuit (not to mention someone could have potentially spoofed your IP address).

Now perhaps I'm missing something, but from the VPN services I have researched, a lot of them claim it is impossible to corroborate your IP address with the one they assign you. For one, they keep no logs, secondly, some of them use dynamic IP addresses, and lastly, the organization of their data around the world makes it extremely difficult to legally obtain the requested information.

So for those who are cynical of VPNs, are these services lying? Other than logs, is there a way to corroborate your online activities through their services?

Funky_

join:2004-06-05
Canada
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

said by morisato:

*sigh*....Here we go again:

1) Rent cheap linux VPS

2) Setup your own vpn server

3) Purge your own logs

4) umad Voltage?

How do you know that the host OS doesn't keep connection logs?

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to John2086
said by John2086:

There are people who have followed the rules and still have been falsely accused of copyright infringement by Voltage.

It's a pretty small chance that someone will be falsely accused (unless the accuser is picking IPs at random and lying about having any evidence). Yes the user could have been hacked and be acting as a proxy, but not too likely.

said by John2086:

So for those who are cynical of VPNs, are these services lying?

If someone is concerned about the small chance of false accusations, I don't see why they shouldn't also be concerned about the small chance of the VPN provider lying.

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON
reply to Nemo888
It's funny how many people comment without doing any research.

Are you aware there may be as many as 20 people using the same IP Address at the VPN at the same time?
Even if your IP is logged against against that IP how is the VPN company to determine who the person they are looking for would be?
The only way would be to keep track of each users activity which means huge logs which makes it very unlikely.

Dr Facts

@gc.ca
reply to John2086
Yes and no.

Whatever you do online you leave a trail now sometimes that trail is like Godzilla stomping across Tokyo; anyone fool can follow it and sometimes that trail is just a slight shift in the dirt that only a Mohican tracker could spot but regardless the trail is there.

Now, a VPN is like the latter, it makes the "trail" convoluted and difficult to follow, not impossible. So if you use your VPN to download Voltage movies because you hate good movies or something odds are the trolls are not going to make the effort to track you down. Remember they're not in it for their copyright, they're in it to make money and a VPN makes it to expensive.

BUT if you used your VPN to say make a threat against the President or hacked into the Apple servers to steal the blueprints for the next iPad? It's Liam Nelson time; they don't know who you are but they will find you and they will sue you / throw you into Gitmo.

TL;DR VPN will protect you from Trolls but will not make you invisible online.

John2086

join:2012-03-09
quote:
So if you use your VPN to download Voltage movies because you hate good movies...
Ha!

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to swe3tdave
said by swe3tdave:

ok, and what stopping voltage from going after the datacenter your vps is running from? Its not like its impossible to log whats going on in a datacenter from outside your little vps...

Huh? It seems that the only people against VPNs or that don't believe in them don't fully understand how they work....

Ofcourse they could go after my datacenter, but guess what? My datacenter wouldn't have access to my VPN server logs, especially if I set it to log nothing in the first place or run a cronjob every second to delete any and all logs...Nor can the datacenter even see what I'm doing on my VPS, let alone access my VPN server logs...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Only trouble is having the technical know how to set all that up properly. Especially the encryption. If that's not done right everything is in the open.

Doctor9

join:2012-11-26
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Mobilicity
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to Nemo888
said by Nemo888:

So I now need to pay 100$ year for a VPN. Luckily with encryption compression I should be able to upload even more than I used to. I get access to HULU and US Netflix in the bargain. I also get to tell you to go pound sand.

You slimy trolls will get nothing from me.
I plan to fight you constantly.
What you call copyright I call market distortion.
What you call a civil action I call corporate extortion.
In Canada we think you are devious and sly,
Merry Christmas, I hope you die.

So can a mod pin a VPN review thread? Time to fight. They can't shut down the entire internet for their outdated and broken business model. One percenters can kiss my ass.

I couldn't agree with you more. You are clearly someone living through an injustice here. I also don't believe you appear to be someone who feels entitled to download unauthorized copies of movies at all. You clearly *are* a victim here and it's absolutely clear to me this whole Voltage issue is at it's core a privacy issue.

Now it appears to me that you don't believe a motion picture should be copyrighted at all, and I agree with you. So I was wondering, since someone who makes a movie has no rights to it at all according to yourself and plain old common sense, after a studio like Voltage makes a movie what permissions would you consider granting them to do with this public work they created? Considering a movie falls into a necessity like groceries, I personally think the sleazeballs should be allowed one week maximum in the theatres and then be required to upload a 1080p copy themselves onto a website like the pirate bay. The money they create from the 1 week of exclusive rights to it in the theatres should only be allowed to be used to create their next movie.

That's just my two cents.

Where's the website so I can donate money to help the victims raise funds for their defence? This is an issue clearly deserving of my money.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I'm glad your diagnostic skills are sharp, Doc.

I just hope your differential ones are too.

There's a lot of discussion here that really isn't about piracy, and really is about privacy.

Or maybe even about the intersecting issues.

I'm sure you can seperate the two.

I'm happy going on the record as being in the second camp, I think the majority of us here, are.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Huh? It seems that the only people against VPNs or that don't believe in them don't fully understand how they work....

Ofcourse they could go after my datacenter, but guess what? My datacenter wouldn't have access to my VPN server logs, especially if I set it to log nothing in the first place or run a cronjob every second to delete any and all logs...Nor can the datacenter even see what I'm doing on my VPS, let alone access my VPN server logs...

Your datacenter doesn't have access to your VPN server logs, but the trolls couldn't care less about that. All they want to know is whose server is running on IP 1.2.3.4, which your datacenter will undoubtedly be able to answer.

So I think that was the point he was trying to get across.