Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to icon860

Premium Member

to icon860

Re: [TWC] [Rochester, NY] Slow night-time speeds + Modem Questio

"I have had an open ticket with them since the fifth and they haven't fixed their network in Rochester."

Do you have a ticket number?

Hob

matt5001
@rr.com

matt5001

Anon

No, I dont. Weird thing, ever since i posted this thread its been fine, until the last few nights. Right now it's not stable at all and ping are high on almost everything. I do speed tests and they range from 8-11mbit when I should get 15mbit with 150+ pings

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Join the site and send me something that will allow me to find your account.

Thanks

Hob
icon860
join:2012-12-17

icon860 to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
I have an ticket number. It's been open since the fifth of December. This is an frequent intermittent issue.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Whats the ticket number?

Hob
icon860

icon860

I sent the ticket # to you via the website IM.
icon860

icon860

Yup, had two more sustained drops today to 400kbps. My 10/1 Time Warner Cable connection in Rochester was out performed by my 1.5mbps T1. The connection was so bad today I had to switch off the cable connection so people could continue with their work.

The odd thing is when I enable the cable connection again, it takes all of its rightful bandwidth back. This kind of goes along the lines of what another TWC customer said that his connection is fine after he power cycles his router.
XPiRX
join:2005-10-06
Rochester, NY

3 edits

XPiRX

@hobgoblin - Was already on the site, I started this thread. Anyway, what do you need me to send you? Its happening right now, when I do speed tests it very flaky around 3-5mbps, then near the end it goes up to 10-11(and seems shaky there) before the rest is done. Pings are high, average of 150. This is with speedtest.net (Several sites, including rackwire in the city).

The roadrunner speed test itself peaks at around 8mbps, averages 4-5mbps, but pings are fast (obviously).

@icon860 - That works sometimes, but usually doesn't for me. I don't even bother trying anymore.

Edit - Cant even use the customer speed test properly, always get this error »i.imgur.com/5EW22.png (Ive tried on different browsers and computers)

Here is a speedtest test

And another from TWC in Syracuse (Ping is better, but speed is just as bad)
icon860

icon860

I will agree with you at the time of your test I was only getting between 2 and 4 mbps on average with a peak of only 7mbps, and a low end of 1mbps.

The only time I saw an issue was at rdc-24-93-8-145.wny.northeast.rr.com which had only a few random hits above 130ms, and one hit above 700ms.
XPiRX
Rochester, NY

XPiRX

When did your internet usually return back to normal speed? Its not exact, but i find its back to normal around midnight(maybe a little earlier, sometimes later)
icon860

icon860

I don't notice when it returns to normal. Last Saturday morning I was able to download an 8gb file in about 3.5 hours, and it ran at full speed.

Last night, I was able to download 50% more per hour between 12 -1, when compared to the hours between 10 - 11, and 11 - 12.
XPiRX
Rochester, NY

1 edit

XPiRX

Yeah its slows from ~8pm to 11/12 at night. Im no tech expert but that is "high use time", got all new shows on tv and people bittorrenting the shows as well. Could be a cause of it, maybe our section is just overloaded

Edit: Its 11:30 and speeds are back to 100% normal now.

XPiRX

XPiRX

Super bad tonight, webpages are even sluggish.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier

Here in Brighton/12 Corners area I notice almost no difference between speeds in the daytime and evening. It is pretty lock on 30/5Mbps for me, as long as I use the Syracuse speed test site. The TWC test for Rochester actually reports slower speed results for me, and Speedtest.net speed tests are extremely variable depending on the speedtest test server I select.

Things are not so rosy at a relative's place in Spencerport, where her service maxes out at around 3.5/1Mbps. Interestingly, the download is the service suffering major speed degradation -- upstream speeds are solid.

In my experience this is one of two things:

1) Oversaturated node.
2) A technical fault, sometimes with TWC's equipment, other times with the physical infrastructure nearby.

Early evening slowdowns seem most likely to be oversaturation, especially if they are consistent when they start and end. Technical faults are usually causing issues all the time or during certain weather events.

I also expect oversaturation when a call to technical support only brings out vague explanations surrounding the fact they see nothing wrong with your cable modem connection. They don't seem willing to admit when they have oversold their network in a particular area and are reluctant to schedule a service call. If they do, usually there is no speed problem when the tech arrives during business hours. They may even replace the drop, work on the pole, or replace fittings, but the problems immediately return once evening arrives.

One would think D3 service might correct some of this.
XPiRX
Rochester, NY

XPiRX

That has been my thoughts all along Dampier. Ive done the whole Tech will come out, everything looks fine, lets replace your connectors and modem, everything looks okay. I cant do anything more. This same scenario happened when I was at my old apartment. I had turbo then (15/1) and I could max it anytime, then a new neighbor moved in upstairs, not a week later, I coudn't maintain a stable connection more than 5-6mbit, usually during evening hours as well. Techs only came out during the day, when It wasnt being affected. They obviously hooked both apartments to one connection or to an already oversaturated connection. I was glad to leave those apartments because of that, but now its happening again and its very annoying when trying to play a game at that time. Wonder if I would get priority if I bought 30/5, since i never hear about people with 30/5 connections having saturation issues.

Edit: They know damn well when they oversell/oversaturate a market area, but wont admit to it until everyone is complaining or slowdowns are more than just during evenings.