how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

smokybandit

join:2012-11-25
Floresville, TX

[installer] Bad installer

Wondering why my net seemed slow and losing connection i decided to bring up my modem status. To my surprise
Cable Att. was at 7.4 . Connector was warm at the modem so i shut it down. went out to the sat and found the connector already had a film of corrosion on it. got out my box cutter with a new blade and cleaner the connector and cleaned the ground. Now Cable att is back to a calm 2.1 . I am thinking i may need to shield the coax sense morning att is only around 1.2, The purchase of conduit may be in my future.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

Yes, bad installer. Dielectric grease was obviously not used. You can get a tube at any parts store, it's the same stuff used to keep moisture out of spark plug boots. But also get some heat shrink about the diameter of the connector.
1. Unscrew connector
2. Slide 2" piece of heat shrink over the connector
3. squeeze a little dielectric inside the threaded portion of the connector
4. screw connector back on, finger tight
5. torque with wrench 1/4 turn only
6. slide heat shrink up all the way to the hex part of the connector
6. apply heat until it molds itself to the connector and the cable.

For even better protection, slide the heat shrink all the way up to the hardware. That covers the hex collar as well, but also means that the heat shrink will have to be cut away if/when the connector must be unscrewed for any reason

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA
reply to smokybandit

You can also use self amalgamating tape to seal and waterproof the connections.

This is easier to apply effectively, but will likewise need to be cut off.

It available from many brands and carried by most decent hardware stores - and handy to have on hand for all kinds of things.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to smokybandit

I fully understand that dielectric grease and tape is the specified HughesNet method. I just mentioned heat shrink as an acceptable alternative, because it's much more readily available (to Joe Consumer) around here - than is that specialty tape

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

viasatguy
Premium
Carlsbad, CA

I am not surprised that the Hughesnet installation practice calls for this.

Anyway, simply suggesting an alternative. The average joe may not have a heat gun handy. Without that, and the right kind of heat shrink tubing, it can be difficult to get a good water proof seal using heat shrink tubing.

Anyway, if the local hardware store doesn't stock the tape, Amazon has a number of varieties of the tape for reasonable prices - and free 2nd day delivery if you have their Prime membership.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

I used the Hughes installation spec in an Exede topic, but the technique is universal. That said, I guess you've never used heat shrink tubing. Depending upon the diameter, you can shrink it with a match, a cigarette lighter, any source of heat that lasts long enough to shrink it down to a hermetic seal. In the early days I just used one of those butane lighters for charcoal grilles. I've gone "high tech" now, and shrink it with a one pound propane bottle.

//greg//
--

viasatguy
Premium
Carlsbad, CA
reply to smokybandit

I've used heat shrink tubing many times.

And yes I've used "innovative" heat sources to shrink the tubing as best I could.

Try using a match or lighter on a windy day or in sub-freezing temps . . .

There is also the issue of finding the right diameter tubing to insure that a good seal is made.

It can certainly be done right, but there are more opportunities for failure with heat shrink tubing when applied in the field without the right tools.

The amalgamating tape is pretty foolproof.

Again, simply providing an alternative method . . .

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

said by viasatguy:

Again, simply providing an alternative method . . .

As am I. Whether one uses amalgamating tape or heatshrink is a matter of economics. Quality tape is about a buck a foot when bought by the roll. A roll of Harbor Freight heatshrink suitable for RG6 connectors is about 20 cents a foot. Marine grade is more expensive, but I'm quite satisfied with the results of regular grade plus dielectric grease. In the spirit of full disclosure, the cost of an independent heat source must be considered. If you already have a self-igniting propane torch, great. If not, you're still only looking at a (minimum) $15 one time purchase.

//greg//
--

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1

said by grohgreg:

Whether one uses amalgamating tape or heatshrink

But, what is being overlooked is everday experiences, via common person, in obtaining either product. Taken from a poster at Spearfishing forum:

I have went to both Home Depot and Lowes and asked for self amalgamating tape, rubber tape, adhesive tape, and everyone looks at me like I am crazy. Is it under a different name?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

Simple website product search shows Both products available at both stores. But having the inventory and hiring competent employees are not mutually exclusive

//Greg//