share rss forum feed

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2
reply to prairiesky

Re: Youtube Buffering

said by prairiesky:

I have all kinds of issues. Some of my customers have 2 meg connections and are having troubles. I haven't really looked into why.

In doing some general searches, I found plenty of complaints from other people, some of those on sub-megabit speeds and some on 100mbps fiber, with many being 10, 20, 30 meg connections.

Lots of theories, but nothing that seems to work consistently. Some suggested MTU changes, which sounded plausible, but didn't seem to make a bit of difference for me no matter what I set them to.

I've read a lot of general consensus that Youtube just has overloaded servers, which I guess might make sense on a regional level, but then I would think everyone in that region would have the same issues.

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to voxframe

said by voxframe:

There's two issues here I've seen cause similar problems.

1) Jitter. Latency isn't a huge problem, it's jitter, or worse packetloss, that usually comes with high latency. Run some jitter tests on both of your connections and see what you get. I'm pretty sure they will be very different.

I know some customers have iffy connctions with a bit of packet loss, but at least where I'm doing my testing from rarely ever drops a single ping. Do you have a good online jitter test you would recommend? I do know I have some for various customers, but again, I think where I have been testing from is a fairly solid connection. What level of jitter would you say is the threshold where it becomes unacceptable?

said by voxframe:

2) Routing/QoS/Etc. You said the upstream provider you're having problems with is another WISP, well depending on their equipment, routing, and QoS implementations, it could have a serious impact on you. You may also be blind to a lot of what they do depending on how much info they share with you.

Yes, they are a WISP, but I bypass the wireless side of their network. I have a dedicated point to point link from one of my towers directly to the water tower near there office. From there, I have another dedicated link directly to their office, which plugs into my own edge router which plugs into the same switch their fiber backhaulk comes into which feeds their core router for their network.

So I essentially bypass any of their QOS, routers, or wireless links. I manage everything up to where it plugs into the fiber switch. From the fiber switch, it runs over a leased fiber down to a datacenter, where it plugs into one more router to handle the connection to their provider (Cogent). Last I checked, there is no QOS, overloaded routers, or packet loss between Cogent and my edge router. I actually worked for the WISP when I was just starting my own and they have been extremely accommodating in letting me get my network setup with theirs and allowing me access into their routers for troubleshooting. I highly doubt anything on their network is causing it, but I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

said by voxframe:

I transport Youtube over wireless to my clients on 5/1 profiles and have zero problems, but it's a careful balance. A few bad QoS settings or a bad RF issue and it'll screw the entire thing up. Sounds like you may be getting a touch of this.

So can a 5/1 speed stream every HD 1080p Youtube video without buffering issues? I had myself set to 5/5 at home last night and it seemed some videos would stream at that resolution and some wouldn't, even if it appeared to be utilizing the full 5 megs.

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

This was posted by tschmidt See Profile recently: »www.itc23.com/fileadmin/ITC23_fi···s/a5.pdf

I got a chance to read through this tonight. Interesting read.

Also, regarding the link you sent me to the other thread (»Youtube videos are slow), I am also using Google's public DNS servers. I wonder if it makes more sense to try to use my own??? I assumed that if anyone's DNS servers would provide decent results for Youtube, it would be their own. I might try it just to see what happens, although I'm guess it won't change much.

I also read through the Google groups thread from that other DSLR page (»productforums.google.com/forum/#···5-false]) and it sure sounds like a lot of people are really unhappy with Youtube right now, despite having connections that you would think wouldn't have any issues, and many report that other streaming sites work fine. Maybe I'm wasting my time with Youtube and should tell my customers to use Hulu and other sites instead???

Has anyone else tried the HTML5 version of Youtube? I don't expect it will make a difference, but I'm going to play with it and see how it works.

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to voxframe

said by voxframe:

Run some jitter tests on both of your connections and see what you get. I'm pretty sure they will be very different.

FYI, I ran a handful of tests from pingtest.net, and on average, the ping to most servers was around 60ms, and the jitter was typically under 15ms.