uniqs
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

Cell Phone NFC payments now in Canada

It appears Black Berry is trying to beat google to the NFC market in Canada. I got a slick advert in my statement today that CIBC is rolling out NFC payments on a limited number of black berry devices (with more to follow).

»www.cibc.com/ca/features ··· ent.html
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user

isn't that what zoompass was supposed to be? it never really took off, so i'm not sure whether nfc is here to stay.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

I think NFC here to stay. It's just a question of in what form. Visa and Mastercard cards have had it for years built into the card quite successfully already. I can't quite tell if this is compatible with the machines from a few years ago or if only from new machines going forward. I do know that local McDonald's upgraded to the identical machine that is on the cibc website. The big question is will people embrass using their phones or will using the credit card be easier. If the cell phone app is slow or laggy etc.. it could be a slow start. I just think of all the paypass problems Tim Hortons had. I hardly ever see them in the drive through any more.

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones to graniterock

to graniterock
Why the hell do you need an NFC sim? If the phone has NFC, it should work. And it's about time, I've been using Google wallet on my Nexus phone for over a year. It strikes up a conversation every time i use it.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to graniterock

to graniterock
said by graniterock:

I think NFC here to stay. It's just a question of in what form. Visa and Mastercard cards have had it for years built into the card quite successfully already. I can't quite tell if this is compatible with the machines from a few years ago or if only from new machines going forward. I do know that local McDonald's upgraded to the identical machine that is on the cibc website. The big question is will people embrass using their phones or will using the credit card be easier. If the cell phone app is slow or laggy etc.. it could be a slow start. I just think of all the paypass problems Tim Hortons had. I hardly ever see them in the drive through any more.

NFC is still very much around at Tim Hortons. Just they have moved away from the proprietary PayPass system to a generic system that works with both Visa and Mastercard.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Dones

Premium Member

to Dones
said by Dones:

Why the hell do you need an NFC sim? If the phone has NFC, it should work. And it's about time, I've been using Google wallet on my Nexus phone for over a year. It strikes up a conversation every time i use it.

On a whole, and in general, Canadians are WAY MORE paranoid about security of their money vs. Americans. Granted we had a national system in place (Interac debit) before most Americans did, we did that because the banks ran it and there are only 6 "big banks" and it was deemed to be secure and safe.

Canadians are generally speaking, leery of new technology so you turn this into a "catch 22" where the companies don't want to spend on new technology because they have to pay the "processing fees" on it so Canadians don't use it, and well, its more of a chicken and egg scenario, but that's why its been very slow to acceptance, and if the previous system works well for 90%+ of the population, then why change it is the merchants view...heck, they still have till 2015 to change over to use the chip for crying out loud...I swiped my card for the first time in about a year at a dollarama, not one I frequent but I don't know if they're all the same....it means the merchant there is going to squeeze out every last minute where they can use their current technology to maximize their profits...and why shouldn't they...as a business owner if I'm not going to recoup my costs for new equipment, why would I do it?

Personally speaking, I barely trust my phone to make phone calls...I'd be amiss to have it store any sort of my banking information, lest a criminal get their hands on it....safeguards be damned (see, I'm one of those people...) and I'm 34...maybe I'm turning into an old coot of sorts, but I'll stick with what I have.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
I still don't see why we need NFC so badly. There are so many different electronic payment options already that don't tie you down to specific devices and security holes.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Robrr

Premium Member

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

said by graniterock:

NFC is still very much around at Tim Hortons. Just they have moved away from the proprietary PayPass system to a generic system that works with both Visa and Mastercard.

PayPass isn't and never has been a proprietary system - it's simply the NFC component of the EMV standard.

Tim Horton's had an exclusive deal with Mastercard, which is why they never accepted VISA cards until recently.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· yBRPwsog

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

That was great for a short film, thanks for sharing!
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to corster

to corster
said by corster:

PayPass isn't and never has been a proprietary system - it's simply the NFC component of the EMV standard.

Tim Horton's had an exclusive deal with Mastercard, which is why they never accepted VISA cards until recently.

You are correct that PayPass is the NFC component of the EMV standard. The same can be said for Visa's PayWave. The systems were proprietary in that your Visa card wouldn't work on the PayPass system nor your MC working on the PayWave systems.

Most retailers are going to an NFC payment system that will accept both Mastercard and Visa on the same system so that they aren't limited to one or the other as the technology is the same for both cards.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by Robrr:

said by corster:

You are correct that PayPass is the NFC component of the EMV standard. The same can be said for Visa's PayWave. The systems were proprietary in that your Visa card wouldn't work on the PayPass system nor your MC working on the PayWave systems.

Paywave is also using the NFC component of the EMV standard. There's no difference between the two other than the brand name. Same with AMEX's Expresspay, for that matter.

Any reader that works with one will work with the other - the only limitations being the software on the card processing device, and the merchant's acceptance of specific cards.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

I still don't see why we need NFC so badly. There are so many different electronic payment options already that don't tie you down to specific devices and security holes.

I would think there are enough people out there who would find this rather convenient. I have my phone with me 99% of the time, yet sometimes I forget my credit card in a pair of pants or another coat I am wearing.

Being able to do more with one device simplifies life for some people. If it were available on my carrier, I would sign up right away.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

My only problem is that I have more than one credit card that I use depending on the store... so unless there is an easy way to store and select more than one card, credit cards remain easier for me.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Robrr

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

said by graniterock:

...except Crescent Park Fort Erie Tim Hortons. Seriously. It's like the lone holdout for some reason. The new Chase system is far better than the old system.