dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Fuzzy285
join:2012-12-12

Fuzzy285 to stevey_frac

to stevey_frac

Re: Kickstarter for funds VS Voltage Lawsuits-CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED!

You should continue to build this fund until it is clear whether anyone will get sued. There's still a good chance that names and addresses will eventually be disclosed and individuals will have to fight the trolls. You're not out of the woods yet, not by a long shot. Let CIPPIC try to do its job regarding the public interest, they already have the means. If they fail, you'll need that money still.
sanc5
join:2012-12-13
Mississauga, ON

sanc5

>
================================================

Make sense to me.. I second the moton.
stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

stevey_frac to Fuzzy285

to Fuzzy285
And what if CIPPIC is on a shoestring budget? What if the contribution of a few thousand dollars would make a huge difference in their ability to combat this for us? The whole point of this campaign has been that if we stand together we are way strong than if we stand apart. It seems to me to be in the spirit of the campaign to donate our funds to CIPPIC, provided they are going to intervene on our behalf.
skd5

skd5

Yes, I also agree with that. We must donate these funds provided they are also committed on opposing the motion with support to us as a group.

CIPPIC has lot of other things in hand as well. Donating without a condition may make them spend on anything they like and we don't want them to lose focus on the efforts for which it was donated.

Did you get any reply from them? Not sure if they are willing to take it & In the worst case even with their opposing, if court declares to release info, we need info on how they will support the defendents ?
stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

1 recommendation

stevey_frac

I don't think we'd be able to force a condition on CIPPIC. However, CIPPIC has already sent a letter to the court to state their intention of intervening.

I haven't yet had a response from CIPPIC or from David Fowler.

If the court orders the release of the info despite the intervention, I'm not sure what we could really do with $1000.

In any case, I won't donate any money to CIPPIC until I know they will intervene, and that this money will make a meaningful difference in their ability to do so.
sanc5
join:2012-12-13
Mississauga, ON

sanc5 to stevey_frac

to stevey_frac
>
====================================================
..What if they were not succcessful in their intervention? Do we start another defense fund drive? Maybe we should continue the fund drive for what it was originally intended for. If there was successful intervention, then we donate the fund to CIPPIC as it is no longer needed. People, if they wish, can contribute voluntarily to both CIPPIC and the defense funds... as others probably are inclined to do so. Just a thought...
sanc5

sanc5 to stevey_frac

to stevey_frac
Very informative FAQ from CIPPIC:

»cippic.ca/online-anonymi ··· disclose
soundtech
join:2007-06-14
Scarborough, ON

soundtech to stevey_frac

to stevey_frac
I also think we ought to hold off on the CIPPIC donation. If their intervention is not allowed, or is unsuccessful, we will need legal representation.

And if I may, I am aware of a team willing, and very able, to take this on. If anyone is interested in further details, pm me.
Fuzzy285

Fuzzy285

I think you should approach CIPPIC again but without bringing up the money question, and make sure they can verify whose interests you represent. What's at stake for them here is the public interest and the ramifications of the methods Voltage is trying to use; it is greater than this initial group being targeted. They are probably focusing on getting standing on this motion, and may not not want to get too tangled with each individual's circumstances, at least not yet. You are only as strong as your weakest link after all. Nonetheless, it would be important to get clarification from them as to whether they'd need or want help from those targeted, and what they should be doing by way of preparation. Other than spending tons of money on lawyers, of course.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to soundtech

to soundtech
said by soundtech:

I also think we ought to hold off on the CIPPIC donation. If their intervention is not allowed, or is unsuccessful, we will need legal representation.

And if I may, I am aware of a team willing, and very able, to take this on. If anyone is interested in further details, pm me.

dont donate to cippic you might create an era of bias and get there intervenor status not allowed , just saying.