how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

modem_reset

join:2010-05-27
reply to Suzie

Re: [speed/latency] Massive network slowdown every morning after

If same issue on different carriers..i would suggest looking at your home network. DSL and Cable use very different technologies, one is radio based other is atm based.

egilbe

join:2011-03-07

said by modem_reset:

If same issue on different carriers..i would suggest looking at your home network. DSL and Cable use very different technologies, one is radio based other is atm based.

Issues with Fairpoint started the last 4 months. Before that it was fine, except when I initially had service installed and it was resolved.

TWC, It was fine until I moved into this neighborhood two years ago. Peak time, shared bandwidth, speeds dropped. Off hours it was fine. Different equipment on my Home network from TWC and with Fairpoint.

modem_reset

but you are having the same issue on both? The only common ground is your equipment.

It is VERY different technology for both company's when the signal leaves your home.

egilbe

Why do you keep saying its the equipment when it's different equipment? Cable and DSL uses different equipment.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by egilbe:

Why do you keep saying its the equipment when it's different equipment? Cable and DSL uses different equipment.

Granted, the modems are different; but the router is not part of the modem, even if it is in the same RG enclosure with the modem. Whether the connection is internal (RG box) or external, there is a hardware interface between the router (implied by "home network") and the modem. And the router can influence issues; not to mention that PC activities can, as well.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

egilbe

westell 7500 modem with integrated router for Fairpoint. Motorola surfboard modem with WNDR3400 router with TWC. The router used with TWC is now at my kids house using TWC with no issues at all. The Westell 7500 used with Fairpoint works as advertised...and then it doesn't. Different equipment. Its not on my end.

egilbe

fine yesterday, fine this morning...now

egilbe

»www.speedtest.net/result/2642022591.png

egilbe

egilbe

»www.speedtest.net/result/2666546648.png

truckinguy

join:2010-10-18
Whitefield, NH
reply to Suzie

A lot of "greek" in the above postings to me.. but I'm in the boat with many here. No other choice for high speed other than dial up here.
I have FPoint DSL 1.5.. very erratic in speeds (not to mention crashes that happen) over the years here. Called them many many times. Still same service. 1.5 downloard one day .15 another.
Assuming my router,lines,etc. are o.k. Do we get slow periods from traffic or heavy useage with this DSL. Is that what I read in the above postings..
At this point I would switch to cable when it comes down the road. That's a no brainer.

modem_reset

Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
·ObiVoice

Any part of the internet is 'shared' and subject to heavy usage. Unless your neighbors who use the same service are having an issue it is more likely then not local to your home and not a 'global' issue with FairPoint (or for that matter cable when it comes in).

I would suggest bypassing any and all equipment from a router or firewall and go right into your laptop/computer and doing a speed test and testing the line right from the DSL modem.

egilbe

I resolved the issue. I no longer have fairpoint. I went back to TWC and now have a nice 30 to 50 mbp/s download for $1 more...even at peak times.