Adam Lanzas hard drive

»news.yahoo.com/may-never-know-ad···533.html
--
GuruGuy

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

Link not working for me ....is this the original article?

»www.theatlanticwire.com/national···e/60097/
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

Link is working for me...

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to GuruGuy

I wonder if it was just smashed or also encrypted.

Maybe he was just really thorough in smashing.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

said by sivran:

After the last Space Shuttle disaster some years ago, Data recovery experts (Kroll) were able to recover over 90% of the hard drive data from the smashed and burned devices.

»gizmodo.com/388465/charred-hard-···cue-ever

Pictures:

»www.computerworld.com/s/article/···sk_drive

I expect they will also have success here as well - just takes time
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to GuruGuy

Couldn't they just get internet browsing records from the ISP as well?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to GuruGuy

There's also this information... Reports: Lanza smashed computer hard drive

quote:
...Two sources told The Hartford Courant the hard drive was broken in pieces, while ABC News reports the drive "appeared to have been badly damaged with a hammer or screwdriver."

Lanza may have also overwritten the drive, wiping out the data, tech experts said. ...
With comparison to the Shuttle, the questions are whether the platter materials (both base and coating) are the same for the different drives, and whether the forensic recovery would be equally difficult or even possible if the damage was different in quality (impact/heat versus being cut/torn into pieces).
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to GuruGuy

There have been a number of threads here on how to destroy a hard drive. Some methods are quite imaginative. I've used a hammer before.

Reports are that Lanzas was highly intelligent so I wouldn't be surprised if he erased then physically destroyed the drive. Perhaps even put a number of .223 rounds through it.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Krisnatharok

All that would get is sites visited and if they were extremely lucky cloud based storage but the man was intelligent so he more than likely he put any plotting, planning, and random thoughts on the drive he destroyed.

I do not have Facebook but I would bet he either was vague or came across as intelligent and eccentric.
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

reply to GuruGuy

This sounds like a task for koitsu See Profile

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to GuruGuy

This boy/man was someone that everyone would certainly like to get to know via the HD, but it still wouldn't tell the story of what was in his mind. It may have given hints, which nobody seems to have at the moment, but I doubt it would have told the whole story, and it would still have been too late to have modified or altered the result. We have failed too many of those whom could have been helped.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by jaykaykay:

This boy/man was someone that everyone would certainly like to get to know via the HD, but it still wouldn't tell the story of what was in his mind.

Exactly. Any documents on the HD written by the perpetrator may or may not be coherent or even accurate (e.g. deliberately misleading). Website visits etc could also be misleading.

As an example, lets says I plan to murder a bunch of people for my own reasons. However I wish to make some person or organization look bad. I could write documents and leave them on the HD, post to certain forums (e.g. right/left wing extremist websites), tweet to certain channels etc.

The assumption, by law enforcement, is that stuff on a HD is a true indication of a persons state of mind. That may or may not be true.

The point is that a highly intelligent but deranged individual could leave stuff behind to send a message. That doesn't seem to be the case in this incident but time will tell.
--

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Blackbird

I'm sure someone will want to know the Lanza method of data destruction if it really does prevent forensic recovery.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

1 recommendation

Of course.

Let's say the HD was damaged but not destroyed (e.g. the HD was hit by a hammer but the HD platters are ok). Does that mean that he was a) incompetent in his attempts. b) attempting to leave a message while making it appear as though not (for some crazy reason)?

On the other hand if the HD was effectively destroyed does that mean there was something worthwhile on it?

We can never be 100% sure in either case. His brains (deliberately) were splattered on a classroom floor and his mothers' were also blown out. In short the two people that probably knew are gone.

IMO all the opinions on TV may be great for ratings etc but I doubt we'll ever know the full story even if there is one.
--

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to rcdailey

said by rcdailey:

I'm sure someone will want to know the Lanza method of data destruction if it really does prevent forensic recovery.

With today's data density physical destruction of the platters will ensure data recovery is hard or impossible. In a HD like the Challenger's (400MB) you have 400MB of data spread across 2 platters. Think if it like grains of sand. Now in a modern 2TB drive, you have, what 5200x more data in the same area. So those grains of sand now become 5200x smaller. So if you take out, say a 1/16th of an inch, in a 400MB drive you may have wiped out a few MB of data. On a 2TB drive, you could have wiped out a couple GB.

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to Smokey Bear

said by Smokey Bear:

Link is working for me...

And now for me too.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

2 recommendations

reply to GuruGuy

Part of my job requirement is data destruction along with recovery.
Put the drive through a degausser, then a crusher. Model we are using right now puts a bolt through the platters (actually through the top, platters and out the controller board).

The magnetic field destroys any data track and if not, the physical destruction prevents removal of platters and any cache (chips).
Mind you, most 2.5" HDDs have glass platters (Hitachi/IBM/Toshiba). The platters shatter into bits (pun) when crushed.

With forensics, if the controller is intact, the cache and buffer may still have data. If the platter(s) are intact, they can be transferred to a slave (same model, heads).

If interested in more info in drive forensics, Scott is a good source and trainer: »www.myharddrivedied.com/

Reads like this neo-adult tried to cover tracks. Pretty messed up.
--
Splat

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

When we have to RMA a drive, the only thing the manufacturer gets back is the top faceplate with the drive's make/model information on it.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to GuruGuy

Had to see this coming.

said by Article :
We do know that Lanza played violent video games. And he played them often. However, it's very difficult to say what kind of impact these video games might've had on his violent actions.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

said by Kilroy:

Had to see this coming.

said by Article :
We do know that Lanza played violent video games. And he played them often. However, it's very difficult to say what kind of impact these video games might've had on his violent actions.

Unfortunately, that bolded part of the quote is not true. It'a very easy to say all kinds of things regarding purported impacts of video games on people's actions... but it's scientifically and legitimately proving the impacts that's "very difficult". A lot of easy-to-say things will be said about a lot of things surrounding this tragedy... and are being said even now - especially by a media hungry for face-time ratings.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to GuruGuy

we have minimal details beyond physical damage having been done. If he was as smart as people claim he was. He likely did a few passes in DBAN before getting the hammer. And of course we also have no clue what kind of hammer without seeing the drive. Big difference between a roofing hammer and a sledge hammer.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to dellsweig

said by dellsweig:

said by sivran:

After the last Space Shuttle disaster some years ago, Data recovery experts (Kroll) were able to recover over 90% of the hard drive data from the smashed and burned devices.

The Space Shuttle itself did not blow up, just the external fuel tank attached to it.

Damage to the shuttle was mostly external. The astronauts were not killed by the explosion. They all died when the mostly intact shuttle hit the ocean after its free fall. Consequently the damage to a lot of internal stuff especially something like a hard drive or a "Black Box" would not necessarily catastrophic.

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

said by Blogger:

said by dellsweig:

said by sivran:

The Space Shuttle itself did not blow up, just the external fuel tank attached to it.

Damage to the shuttle was mostly external. The astronauts were not killed by the explosion. They all died when the mostly intact shuttle hit the ocean after its free fall. Consequently the damage to a lot of internal stuff especially something like a hard drive or a "Black Box" would not necessarily catastrophic.

??

The last space shuttle disaster was not over the ocean. It disintegrated while coming in for a landing and went to many pieces over several states...
--
GuruGuy

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

Shuttle hit ocean after freefall after external fuel tank blew up = Challenger.

Burned up in atmosphere after heat shield was damaged = Columbia.

Shuttle

@ameritech.net
reply to Blogger

There was more than one Shuttle disaster. I believe that dellsweig was referring to the re-entry disaster, not the launch disaster.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to GuruGuy

I'm going with no one will ever really know what set him off. Probably a combination of things pushed him over the edge.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to DrStrange

Yes, I was referring to the Challenger's destruction--the first disaster.

The Columbia disaster was the second disaster and burnt up on reentry. In that case too one could expect the the HD to have a good chance to be recoverable, especially depending upon where they landed and if they were still within a part of something else.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to GuruGuy

The hard drive may have all to do with, or nothing at all to do with, this autistic child who had the physical size and strength of an adult man.

What pushed Lanzo over the edge?

Long ago I knew a tall, big-boned, 18-year old girl who had serious mental defects. The day she was tormented beyond her limit of understanding by an adult, she picked up a living room chair, raised it over her head and went after him. It ended peacefully only because a person who she trusted was there to calm her. That 30 minutes had all the makings of a soap opera drama.

--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

I'm going with no one will ever really know what set him off. Probably a combination of things pushed him over the edge.

i'm going with "he was a psycho".

as for platter destruction, I melt the platters into a puddle with an acetylene torch when I change over my drives. I doubt they'd be readable..........