Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy

Re: Adam Lanzas hard drive

we have minimal details beyond physical damage having been done. If he was as smart as people claim he was. He likely did a few passes in DBAN before getting the hammer. And of course we also have no clue what kind of hammer without seeing the drive. Big difference between a roofing hammer and a sledge hammer.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

said by sivran:

I wonder if it was just smashed or also encrypted.

Maybe he was just really thorough in smashing.

After the last Space Shuttle disaster some years ago, Data recovery experts (Kroll) were able to recover over 90% of the hard drive data from the smashed and burned devices.

The Space Shuttle itself did not blow up, just the external fuel tank attached to it.

Damage to the shuttle was mostly external. The astronauts were not killed by the explosion. They all died when the mostly intact shuttle hit the ocean after its free fall. Consequently the damage to a lot of internal stuff especially something like a hard drive or a "Black Box" would not necessarily catastrophic.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by Blogger:

said by dellsweig:

said by sivran:

I wonder if it was just smashed or also encrypted.

Maybe he was just really thorough in smashing.

After the last Space Shuttle disaster some years ago, Data recovery experts (Kroll) were able to recover over 90% of the hard drive data from the smashed and burned devices.

The Space Shuttle itself did not blow up, just the external fuel tank attached to it.

Damage to the shuttle was mostly external. The astronauts were not killed by the explosion. They all died when the mostly intact shuttle hit the ocean after its free fall. Consequently the damage to a lot of internal stuff especially something like a hard drive or a "Black Box" would not necessarily catastrophic.

??

The last space shuttle disaster was not over the ocean. It disintegrated while coming in for a landing and went to many pieces over several states...

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Shuttle hit ocean after freefall after external fuel tank blew up = Challenger.

Burned up in atmosphere after heat shield was damaged = Columbia.

Shuttle
@ameritech.net

Shuttle to Blogger

Anon

to Blogger
There was more than one Shuttle disaster. I believe that dellsweig was referring to the re-entry disaster, not the launch disaster.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
I'm going with no one will ever really know what set him off. Probably a combination of things pushed him over the edge.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to DrStrange

Premium Member

to DrStrange
Yes, I was referring to the Challenger's destruction--the first disaster.

The Columbia disaster was the second disaster and burnt up on reentry. In that case too one could expect the the HD to have a good chance to be recoverable, especially depending upon where they landed and if they were still within a part of something else.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
The hard drive may have all to do with, or nothing at all to do with, this autistic child who had the physical size and strength of an adult man.

What pushed Lanzo over the edge?

Long ago I knew a tall, big-boned, 18-year old girl who had serious mental defects. The day she was tormented beyond her limit of understanding by an adult, she picked up a living room chair, raised it over her head and went after him. It ended peacefully only because a person who she trusted was there to calm her. That 30 minutes had all the makings of a soap opera drama.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

I'm going with no one will ever really know what set him off. Probably a combination of things pushed him over the edge.

i'm going with "he was a psycho".

as for platter destruction, I melt the platters into a puddle with an acetylene torch when I change over my drives. I doubt they'd be readable..........