spc
uniqs
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to graniterock

to graniterock

Re: Cell Phone NFC payments now in Canada

said by graniterock:

I think NFC here to stay. It's just a question of in what form. Visa and Mastercard cards have had it for years built into the card quite successfully already. I can't quite tell if this is compatible with the machines from a few years ago or if only from new machines going forward. I do know that local McDonald's upgraded to the identical machine that is on the cibc website. The big question is will people embrass using their phones or will using the credit card be easier. If the cell phone app is slow or laggy etc.. it could be a slow start. I just think of all the paypass problems Tim Hortons had. I hardly ever see them in the drive through any more.

NFC is still very much around at Tim Hortons. Just they have moved away from the proprietary PayPass system to a generic system that works with both Visa and Mastercard.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by Robrr:

said by graniterock:

I think NFC here to stay. It's just a question of in what form. Visa and Mastercard cards have had it for years built into the card quite successfully already. I can't quite tell if this is compatible with the machines from a few years ago or if only from new machines going forward. I do know that local McDonald's upgraded to the identical machine that is on the cibc website. The big question is will people embrass using their phones or will using the credit card be easier. If the cell phone app is slow or laggy etc.. it could be a slow start. I just think of all the paypass problems Tim Hortons had. I hardly ever see them in the drive through any more.

NFC is still very much around at Tim Hortons. Just they have moved away from the proprietary PayPass system to a generic system that works with both Visa and Mastercard.

PayPass isn't and never has been a proprietary system - it's simply the NFC component of the EMV standard.

Tim Horton's had an exclusive deal with Mastercard, which is why they never accepted VISA cards until recently.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr

said by corster:

PayPass isn't and never has been a proprietary system - it's simply the NFC component of the EMV standard.

Tim Horton's had an exclusive deal with Mastercard, which is why they never accepted VISA cards until recently.

You are correct that PayPass is the NFC component of the EMV standard. The same can be said for Visa's PayWave. The systems were proprietary in that your Visa card wouldn't work on the PayPass system nor your MC working on the PayWave systems.

Most retailers are going to an NFC payment system that will accept both Mastercard and Visa on the same system so that they aren't limited to one or the other as the technology is the same for both cards.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by Robrr:

said by corster:

You are correct that PayPass is the NFC component of the EMV standard. The same can be said for Visa's PayWave. The systems were proprietary in that your Visa card wouldn't work on the PayPass system nor your MC working on the PayWave systems.

Paywave is also using the NFC component of the EMV standard. There's no difference between the two other than the brand name. Same with AMEX's Expresspay, for that matter.

Any reader that works with one will work with the other - the only limitations being the software on the card processing device, and the merchant's acceptance of specific cards.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Robrr

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

said by graniterock:

...except Crescent Park Fort Erie Tim Hortons. Seriously. It's like the lone holdout for some reason. The new Chase system is far better than the old system.