Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alien8

join:2004-03-03
UK

1 recommendation

Instagram wants right to sell users' photos to advertisers

Facebook's photo-sharing site Instagram has updated its privacy policy giving it the right to sell users' photos to advertisers without notification.

Unless users delete their Instagram accounts by a deadline of 16 January, they cannot opt out.

Source: »www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20767537

Hands up who is surprised by this?
--
»sanesecurity.blogspot.com/

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
quote:
This means that even people who do not use Instagram could find themselves in an advertisement, if a friend snaps a picture of them and shares it.
Ordinarily advertisers could be sued for not having a release from the subject. But the kind of people who would do this wouldn't care.

alien8

UK
reply to alien8

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to alien8
From the new T&C:
quote:
... you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you.
Clearly, it's not just the photos to be openly exploited. At last: user data harvesting comes of age and out of the closet.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

alien8

UK
said by Blackbird:

At last: user data harvesting comes of age and out of the closet.

Indeed.

Speaking of Facebook harvesting data... ooops:

"A German data protection body has ordered Facebook to end its policy of making members use their real names.

The policy violates German laws that give people the right to use pseudonyms online, said the data protection agency in Schleswig-Holstein"

Source: »www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20766682
--
»sanesecurity.blogspot.com/

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

I continue to find it fascinating where the strongest voices (and actions) for individual privacy are coming from now... places where not so very long ago existed the greatest initiatives for collectivization and submerging of individual privacy into the social good. And here, it's reversed. It almost seems we're each racing to get where the other used to be.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by George Santayana :

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

OZO
Premium
reply to alien8
said by alien8:

"The policy violates German laws that give people the right to use pseudonyms online, said the data protection agency in Schleswig-Holstein"

Interesting. Do we have similar law, protecting people in the US?
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to alien8
Other responses are in this inadvertent (and now locked) dupe thread

»Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to alien8
CNet
quote:
Instagram apologized to its users today, saying it will "remove" language from its legal terms that would have let it sell users' photos or use them in advertisements.

In a blog post this afternoon, chief executive Kevin Systrom said it's "our mistake that this language is confusing" and that the company is "working on updated language."

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

LOL. That didn't take long It was all that "confusing language" that was the problem
--

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to chachazz
Translation from EvilCorporateSpeak to English courtesy of DrStrange's EvilCorporateSpeak-to-English Dictionary:

"Oh, [expletive]. Someone was paying attention to our TOS. We'll have to change it back, wait until they're not looking any more and change it again.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

Plus we have that EvilLawyerSpeak clause
quote:
...terms subject to change without notice.

so we're good
--

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to OZO
Those who live in the past will be surprised by tomorrow.

OZO
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
said by chief executive Kevin Systrom :

"our mistake that this language is confusing" and that the company is "working on updated language."

Confusing language? Then read plain English translation:
said by Translation from legalese and PR-speak to English of selected portions of another overfunded startup's communications as they "monetize" their service - raganwald's posterous :

You are not our customers, you are the cattle we drive to market and auction off to the highest bidder. Enjoy your feed and keep producing the milk.

What is confusing here? I think it's in plain English...

And I like this new vision of the world coming from this company:

So, shut up about not being able to easily view our content on services built by other investors—And it is our content, not your content. Your content is stored on your server that you pay for with your money.

If I accepted that premise, content that I see from their web site on my computer would be mine...
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

said by OZO:

If I accepted that premise, content that I see from their web site on my computer would be mine...

The mantra of Corporate America: "What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine."
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by NormanS:

"What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine."

Well there is a solution. Don't give them your stuff in the first place.
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
said by chachazz:

CNet

quote:
Instagram apologized to its users today, saying it will "remove" language from its legal terms that would have let it sell users' photos or use them in advertisements.

In a blog post this afternoon, chief executive Kevin Systrom said it's "our mistake that this language is confusing" and that the company is "working on updated language."

If nothing else has occurred, the entire episode has at least served to demonstrate unmistakably where Instagram management seeks to go with regard to commercial use of user photos and information... and its too big a pot of gold for them to simply abandon, even after this publicity blow-out. Likewise it demonstrates clearly to Instagram that getting there will not happen via their direct, initial, straight route through a bluntly-worded T&C statement. So... the only real question remaining for users ought to be how Instagram will instead proceed in order to still get where they want to go: that lucrative pot of user-info gold. The direct route is out, at least for the time being in the current competitive marketplace... which leaves only indirect routes. The indirect routes consist of slow and steady text obfuscation, minor privacy erosions, and increasing incorporation of double-meanings into the user agreements... which will take time. Having been unable to swallow the whole loaf in one gulp, they'll now try it a bite at a time. Users would be well-advised to watch Instagram like a hawk literally week-by-week going forward.
--

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to alien8
• »techcrunch.com/2012/12/18/a-vale···-finger/
• »www.edbott.com/weblog/2012/12/an···eak-out/
• »www.examiner.com/article/instagr···own-them
• »www.businessinsider.com/instagra···-12?op=1
• »www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ins···-photos/
• »www.forbes.com/sites/roberthof/2···e-money/
• »techcrunch.com/2012/12/18/you-al···erstand/
• »news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=E7C356···0D4C2420
• »www.cnn.com/2012/12/18/tech/soci···s-users/
• »www.geekwire.com/2012/poll-instagrams-laws/
• »mashable.com/2012/12/18/instagra···-moment/
• »venturebeat.com/2012/12/18/instagram-update/
• »www.techdirt.com/articles/201212···nt.shtml
• »news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575598···-photos/
• »abcnews.go.com/Technology/instag···18009451
• »www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/12/···os-rage/
• »www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20···-service
et al...

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

2 recommendations

reply to chachazz
quote:
Instagram apologized to its users today...
Read as, "We're sorry we got busted."

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to alien8
And in the blog post, nowhere do they make any promises to not do it or something similar again in the future. No assurances are given for the future... only statements that they've decided that nothing has changed. Yet.
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by NormanS:

"What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine."

Well there is a solution. Don't give them your stuff in the first place.

It is possible, but I am disinclined to live in a cave in the wilderness. OTOH, I do try to avoid doing business with Corporate Monstrosities as much as possible.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by NormanS:

...I am disinclined to live in a cave in the wilderness.

My cave has high-speed internet access and central heat But seriously do people really need to upload all their photo's and other personal documents to these services? Do they need to use email providers that say, in their TOS, that they'll scan it?
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by StuartMW:

... do people really need to upload all their photo's and other personal documents to these services? Do they need to use email providers that say, in their TOS, that they'll scan it?

Perhaps a lot of folks are latent exhibitionists, covertly harboring the need to be 'watched' by strangers. Seriously, it explains a lot of otherwise bizarre choices they continue to make...
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
A bit like having everyone go around naked. Might sound like a good idea for a short time until reality kicks in.

(Very few of us are Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt)
--

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 edit
reply to alien8
Just looking at what is to still gain here.
Reads like "OUR advertising affiliates (and other third parties) like to peruse and maybe borrow ideas from the public who contribute their artistic abilities/ideas/work on a regular basis (under the impression that they have still have full control of their work)and short of stealing will continue to garnish to a vague and changeable legal extent".
Or else why bother looking for ideas?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

And in the blog post, nowhere do they make any promises to not do it or something similar again in the future. No assurances are given for the future... only statements that they've decided that nothing has changed. Yet.

Just remember who owns them -- Facebook.
Nuff said.