join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman to garys_2k

to garys_2k

Re: Garage addition

Click for full size
said by garys_2k:

Shouldn't the vapor barrier face the warm side?

Commercial rigid foil insulation has foil on both sides. It looks the exact same on the other side except it says "Owens Corning" in black letters on the silver foil.

I attached a picture of a professional install in our attic earlier this year. You can see some pieces are all silver while other's have words on them. It's the same stuff just the front vs. back of the same product.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I see, but it looks like you also used fiberglass between the access panel and the rigid foam. Shouldn't the foam be against the door, toward the warm side, like it is in your attic picture?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman

said by garys_2k:

I see, but it looks like you also used fiberglass between the access panel and the rigid foam. Shouldn't the foam be against the door, toward the warm side, like it is in your attic picture?

The foam is flush with the 2x4's on the door. It was done the same as the pro's did our other knee wall door. Right down to the foil tape on the edges and fender washers.

Sadly the insulation work is worthless for a few years as the room won't be heated until then.

The final step will be removing the insulation then priming the entire door front and back with a sealer/primer then putting on a top coat of white paint. I'm waiting on that because it's too cold to do.