spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nsp

join:2012-12-18

SL Refusing to Install Cable Internet

I'm hoping someone here can at least give me an idea of what to do from here.

My husband and I recently started renting a house in East Texas, Tyler area. Our landlord told us that we would be able to get SL for cable internet, tv, etc. The landlord also mentioned that his previous tenant had internet and tv hooked up while living here.

Obviously, having decent internet is a must these days. My husband and I both game in our off-time.

2 weeks ago, the tech from SL came out and started to do the install. He tested the line and apparently the line to the house was putting out a pretty weak signal (I don't remember the actual number, even tho now I know it would have been helpful) and because of this, he couldn't hook it up. So, he toyed with the idea of laying a new line. Well, our house is set back in the woods from the street. In fact, you can only just see the roof from the street. He walked the line and guesstimated at 330ft from the tap. I'm sure you know what I'm going to say next. SL would only authorize him to lay 250ft. Anything longer than that can degrade the signal and cause issues, they say.

The tech said they would send a line tech out to see if anything can be done but we've not heard a thing. I called this last Sunday to find out why they still hadn't refunded the money for an account that wasn't going to exist. The agent I spoke with probed into why we couldn't get hooked up and I repeated the story. She said she'd send in an order or email or something of that sort to see what kind of answers the supervising tech would say about the situation. She promised a call back and we didn't hear. I called yesterday to follow up. The agent I spoke with then told me the same thing the original tech told me. Too far away, we're non-serviceable. No ifs, ands or buts. They're completely disregarding that there is a line already out here, it just needs to be fixed. They won't even tell me where to start on getting that fixed.

So, now, my husband and I are left with two options... go with satellite internet or use a mobile hotspot via our cellphones. Apparently, there are NO other services out here that provide broadband internet. We're at a loss and no one seems to want to point us in the right direction to get the currently installed line fixed.

What do we do?!

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

There really isn't nothing you can do other than satellite or cellphone connection,if you need cable internet your only option is to MOVE where it is easily gotten. You could go further up the food chain with Suddenlink(I would try Pete Abel on here,but I don't think he posts anymore).
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

stevenwalter

join:2012-03-23
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to nsp

I hate to say it, but that's just how a monopoly can get away with treating people. It wouldn't be worth the trouble to them, and they have no concern in the world about their reputation, because they have no real competition.

I worked as a CSR for them a few years back and there is no way on earth that any other type of business could get away with the kind of crap that they pull.

There were several small areas (and still are, apparently, based on posts in this forum), where they had several hundred customers, all paying for 512k connections, and they'd literally have 1 or 2 T1 lines to service ALL of them. The circuit graph would be a solid green block, 24/7. There were some people who called in every single night, and every single night we had to lie to them to get them off of the phone, because we weren't allowed to tell them what the real problem was. People would call in about the speeds, and we'd schedule work orders, and they would just get canceled. Suddenlink only has dialup to compete with them in these places, and barely being faster than dialup, while lying to their customers about the speed of the connection, and giving them the runaround whenever they'd call tech support is just fine and dandy with them.

That's the type of company you're dealing with.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Steven, if that is true that your employer actually TOLD you to lie to your customer as part of your job, that would be illegal and you should be getting a lawyer to bring a lawsuit against SL.

OP, I'm not sure what kind of permission or work order has to be wrote up, but SL COULD install a drop amp to compensate for the distance of the cable. With RG6 you'd be looking at something like a 21db lose over 350ft, RG11 would be 19~20 db lose. You could even quit possibly hook all that up yourself. Bottom line is that it could be done. You may also need to talk to a plant engineer to sign off on the idea, though it'll likely cost some kind of install fee.

Other options while still getting cable would be to install a cabinet at the first pole on your property and have them terminate your cable there. Then you could rig up a directional wifi bridge.

Depending on the price you are willing to spend, there are a host of options. But a wifi bridge would be relatively cheap and easy at that distance.
--
30/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

stevenwalter

join:2012-03-23
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit

I wasn't specifically told to lie, but I WAS specifically told not to tell them any details about what the problem really was, which left me no choice but to feign ignorance and go through the motions of trying to troubleshoot their connection as if I didn't already know the problem, which i personally see as being no different than lying.

Most CSR's simply didn't have access to the circuit usage data (I was in commercial support, and handled overflow calls when it was slow). So the company just lets all of the clueless CSR's try to solve the problem, and schedule work orders that will later be canceled, just so that the customers actually think that Suddenlink intends to do anything about the problem.

While I can only speak about what I saw 5+ years ago, some of the threads I've seen on this board recently, lead me to believe that it's probably still taking place.

jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Yeah, I've worked in tech support for another ISP (BellSouth) in 1998, and that's it. We were told to provide the least amount of information that we could, be as vague as possible. If the customer buys the excuse, that counts as a one call resolution in your metrics.

It's all BS, that's why I try so hard to get past the call centers as fast as possible. They are just there to "soothe" you, not actually fix anything. You can usually get past them to the next levels without doing the crap they ask.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

So far I've yet to get past anyone from a SL call center, lol. My luck...

jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV

I did, I had the manager of the local plant calling me. I think Pete enabled that.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

Well, I did get a call from much the same person where I'm at, but that was also Pete's doing. I highly doubt I would EVER get to someone like that through the phone system though :s