New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to The Wiz

Re: I Switched to Cable Phone service and I'm Glad

So, the bottom line to your post is:

- you _DID_ have an outage during hurricane Sandy; even though it was only 20 minutes - it means that you have actually been NOT affected by the hurricane at all - because you have NOT lost your AC power. Have you been in NYC area you'd for sure experienced week{s} of outage as everybody else had with Verizon, Comcast, TWC, etc...

- you do still HAVE occasional outages with Comcast - because, as you admitted it yourself, you have to call them and talk, even 24x7 - that means the outages happened during day and night times and that it happened MORE than ONCE - otherwise you'd sure admitted that.

- you pay 3 to 4 times more than you'd be paying with VOIP for a pleasure of "talking" to a live CSR - that's fine and this is all about it. We (Callcentric) have such a "pleasure" of talking to CSRs or different vendors we have business with on a DAILY basis, sometimes more than once every few hours - to make sure the issue is being taken care of.

Of course, this was your decision (and your business) but so far, from your own description I couldn't figure out that you somehow "improved" your quality of service vs. you could have it with a good VoIP provider. It's absolutely right to say that VoIP is not for everybody, especially Bring Your Own Device kind of VoIP - because it requires a lot of experimenting and prior understanding of several basic communication things.

I totally agree with you that _now_ you just have a plain old telephone delivered via cable connection (same you could have with a traditional telco or FIOS or U-Verse, etc.) - that telephone's connectivity and maintenance is now not your headache... Very good for you. But the trade-off is the monthly cost (please, don't tell us that this is the same - there is at least 25-35% of added on taxes and surcharges) plus lack of most features your could have with any VoIP provider - like selective call blocking, address-book dialing , time of day routing, etc...

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online

For each individual (or in this case business) the features vs. cost vs. reliability trade-offs are different. For a small business with no internal IT 'department' - traditional POTS or something similar may (and in this case - does) make more sense - unless some VoIP provider is going to step up with a more reliable option/higher level of support - even if it isn't the lowest cost.
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!

The Wiz

join:2012-12-17
Seabrook, NH
reply to Iscream

What I meant was that if I do have an issue I can reach out to a live person not somebody sitting behind a computer terminal reading from a script to resolve the issue. With the exception of the 20 min. outage during Hurricane Sandy I haven't had any downtime at all.

As for the cost Its a tax write off since the service is being used for business communications. As for the features Comcast Business Class does have most of the features that the typical voip service providers offer.

As for quality of service statement, in paragraph 4, when my customers call they immediately get right though to my office without any problems compared to the time when I was using some of the voip providers mentioned in this forum. That in itself is an improvement.

As a small telecommunications business owner I don't have the time to tinker around with a ATA and worrying if I'll lose my service due to some issue that is occurring outside my office. Yes, I'm familiar with VOIP Technology, how it works and the equipment used. Also, Comcast Business Class Phone is essentially a VOIP based service minus all of the issues that seen to be plaguing the voip service providers that are mentioned in this forum.

As far as I'm concerned if an individual wants / need reliable phone service it comes down to three options: traditional Pots service, Cable phone service or Cellular. As for the voip service providers, discussed in the voip tech. forum, they are nothing more than a waste of time and money that seem to be plagued with issues.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

said by The Wiz:

As for the voip service providers, discussed in the voip tech. forum, they are nothing more than a waste of time and money that seem to be plagued with issues.

So you have gone to Comcast, officially voted as the worst company for customer service.
»lifehacker.com/5954084/worst-com···-comcast

said by The Wiz:

As for the voip service providers, discussed in the voip tech. forum, they are nothing more than a waste of time and money that seem to be plagued with issues.

I can't speak for users of other providers, but now that the 100-year hurricane is done and the DDoS terrorists have been vanquished, I have no issues with CallCentric's excellent service.

And users of many other providers such as Voipo, Anveo, FlowRoute, Localphone, Ooma, FutureNine, and more, have no issues either.

said by The Wiz:

Coming in to a forum devoted to independent VoIP service, and slamming the entire concept, takes brass balls.

I congratulate you on the ultimate trolling.

druber

join:2000-04-11
Stow, MA

I'm also amused by the implication that if he has to call comcast doesn't have their CSRs reading from a script. LOL...

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to The Wiz

said by The Wiz:

As for the cost Its a tax write off since the service is being used for business communications.

For business, where cost is a secondary issue, I would go with POTS for incoming. Your cable provider is much more likely to go down than your traditional Telco provider.