spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Neuma
@rogers.com

Neuma

Anon

About once or twice a week, new furnace blows cold air

I have a York roof-top heating/cooling unit. It was installed new in June (2012). It works great except that for about a month now, once or twice a week, when it comes on, it blows only cold air. It will stay this way for hours if I don't turn it off and back on. The indoor temp plummets to around 15C if left for a while. If I turn it off, wait a couple of minutes, and turn it back on, it's good again, for the rest of the day and beyond.

This has happened a half dozen times or so since November (last month). On one occasion, the heat was on even though the indoor temp was 2C above the setting (by thermostat reading - I have a peaksaver thermostat).

Any ideas?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

Since the unit is new, rather then troubleshooting it yourself you should make a warranty call and have either installer or manufacturer deal with the problem.

Even if you solve this issue yourself, having done so may void your warranty for the next problem that happens.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Neuma

to Neuma
Sounds like ignition failure.
It's weird that it doesn't detect that.

Your biggest problem will be to replicate the problem when the tech arrives.

So what you can do is try to confirm if it's an ignition failure.

You should be able to take off a panel from the furnace giving you access to a little (very tiny) window that gives a view to the burners. When the furnace is working properly, go look for that window and confirm that you can see the flames.

Then, next time you have that problem, DON'T TURN OFF THE FURNACE. Directly go look into the little window and see if there is a flame. If there is no flame, then you can call for service and explain what you witnessed (no flame).

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Neuma

Premium Member

to Neuma
Why would you even try to troubleshoot it? It has to be under warranty so give them a call.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jack_in_VA:

Why would you even try to troubleshoot it? It has to be under warranty so give them a call.

because they'll come, the problem wont happen and they will go away

or were you asking him why he asks for advice?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

2 edits

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

because they'll come, the problem wont happen and they will go away

or were you asking him why he asks for advice?

No I'm curious as to why he would try to troubleshoot when it's under warranty? I assure you I would have already made the call the first time it happened. I have a new unit installed in Feb 2012 and I'm not about to try and troubleshoot it. It has a 10 year warranty.

Unless someone has a Trane 16i 2-stage heatpump with variable speed air handler and has been trained in troubleshooting and repair of the unit I would not have any expectation of help here.

I did have a service tech forget to turn the breaker back on for the strip heaters after one of his routine semi-annual checks on my old unit. It blew some real cold air when it went in defrost.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by Jack_in_VA:

Unless someone has a Trane 16i 2-stage heatpump with variable speed air handler and has been trained in troubleshooting and repair of the unit I would not have any expectation of help here.

OP has a York unit. Highy doubtful that knowledge of any Trane unit will help them.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by robbin:

said by Jack_in_VA:

OP has a York unit. Highy doubtful that knowledge of any Trane unit will help them.

Ok unless someone here has been trained in troubleshooting and repair of a newer York unit why would the OP have any expectation of help here?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Neuma

Mod

to Neuma
Neuma -- to troubleshoot a problem the first thing to do is is get the model number of your furnace. Post it if you want to. What type of heat do you have (gas, heat pump, etc). Did the installer install your thermostat when the new unit was installed? Is this a residential or commercial unit?

the club
@videotron.ca

the club to Neuma

Anon

to Neuma
If this is NG, I would hate to see your next gas bill.

This happened to me. About 250$ of NG blew out the pipe to outside.

If this is a new unit, and if this did indeed happen like it did to me, you might want them to pay your next gas bill as well (if you can get away with that).

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to Neuma

MVM

to Neuma
It blows cold because the blower operates on a time-delay and will run as long as the thermostat is calling, with or without the burners lighting.

It sounds like you're getting a flame failure and by turning it off and back on, that resets the ignition lockout.

call your HVAC guy.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to the club

Premium Member

to the club
said by the club :

This happened to me. About 250$ of NG blew out the pipe to outside.

That should not happen unless there is something seriously wrong.

The main gas valve should not open unless the pilot is lit or the igniter is on.

Neuma
@rogers.com

Neuma to Neuma

Anon

to Neuma
Thanks for all of your replies... I will call my HVAC guy as it is under warranty. I'm concerned that I won't be able to show him the problem though. I will especially look for large NG bills! Unfortunately this is a rooftop unit so it's not easy to check on.
YORK Model ZF036N08P2AAA2A

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

said by York Sales Brochure :

The big difference: Simplicity® Controls
Its the built-in brain that requires no additional controls. The Simplicity®
Control System is part of each Sunline model and, for the building
manager, it monitors the entire HVAC system continuously. All alarm and
diagnostic data can be set up and transmitted directly to an onsite PC.
Or, you can monitor the system over the Internet.
Single-button programming
Five-minute anti-short cycle delay
Alarm recall, even after power failures
Three-minute minimum compressor run time
Built-in low-voltage protection
Independent monitoring of all safety switches

The most important part about this is that your York unit will remember errors and therefore the information will be available to the service technician regardless whether the unit is failing at that moment or not.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to jack b

to jack b
If there's a flame failure, the blower shouldn't come on since there's no heat to trigger the blower switch.

It could be a bad thermostat. I have a Goodman commercial unit for my house. The blower used to come on by itself once in a while as if it were set to run constantly, then the furnace kept short cycling and finally got to where it would shut off just as the gas ignited. It was a bad thermostat.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

There is no thermal blower switch in the majority of these newer heating units. Blower operation is determined by the manufacturer and is a time-delay, both on and off.