Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Spouse wants a Techhy Item.....

Specifically an e-reader but most kindle touches are sold out and they have a new model coming the paperlight?? In any case I have a line on a brand new asus nexus 7 tablet and it supposedly can be used as an ereader (taxes in $206). Does anyone have experience with this puppy and if so, can you comment on its ability to be an e-reader. Thanks! Any other comments welcome !!

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

One big difference between a dedicated e-reader and a tablet: the screen. The e-ink screens are great to read for long periods of time. A tablet with backlighting is harder on your eyes.

The Paperlight is like the Kobo Glo, it has leds around the edge so you can read in low light easier. Most e-readers you need as much light as reading a book.

I have a Kobo and I like it. My only complaints are that you can only buy one book per transaction and that they give you all these discounts and coupons...but never on any books I want.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

1 edit

ekster to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
Does she specifically want an ereader or a tablet for reading will do?

I own both and there is a significant difference.

Display on an eReader is e-ink... it's somewhat slow (compared to a tablet, anyway) and monochrome, but there's no reflection and can easily be read outside under the sun, with sun glasses on you. And it's battery life blows everything else out of this universe. My Kobo Touch can easily last me 2-4 months on one charge, and I'm a heavy reader (2-3 hours per day, every day.)

It's also much easier on the eyes, whether it's in the dark, out in bright sun, on a bumpy ride in the car, bus, train, etc.

A tablet is a regular LCD screen that can do a lot of other things in addition. Almost any cheap tablet can be used as an e-reader without a problem (as long as they have an app for it). The only drawback is that it has an LCD screen and a poor battery life. Personally, e-ink is a thousand times better than an LCD when it comes to reading.It's even better than a real book for me. But some people are happy enough to use their tablets for reading as well, as it's up to the individual.

And if she really wants an eReader, you can also check out the Kobo or the Sony eReader. I prefer those two over Kindle as they're much more open and accept more formats, but if she wants to use amazon, kindle would be better.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Anav

to Anav
Think about e-ink vs LCD screens. E-ink displays are easier on the eyes and use far, far less power. LCD screens are in colour, and will generally be better at non-text content.

Think about the source for books as well. For instance, the Kindle is the only dedicated eReader that can use Amazon's ebook format (along with most tablets), but they can't access library content in Canada and have limited support for other e-book file formats.

If you're confident that the only use will be as an e-reader, I say get a dedicated device with an e-ink screen. If you think a multi-use device will see more use than just as an e-reader (or if a colour screen is a must), go with a tablet.

The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

The Flash to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
I have the N7, it's pretty awesome. If she's primarily only reading, an e-reader is a better choice.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
I'll be quite honest, having gone through a Kindle, Sony EReader, and an Older Kobo...

The new Kobo Glo is my Fav e-reader at this point. Especially with the new Firmware and a properly setup Calibre.

The built in light (slightly blue tint to be honest) is very easy to adjust and I can EASILY read in bed with all the lights off and the light on the lowest setting. Very light, and good battery life (I'm still only 1/2 done my first charge after 4 weeks of 2+ hours reading a night WITH light on)

Kobo's have been hit and miss based on the firmware, but they really improved the performance and other issues with the latest release. (This goes for the non Kobo Glo's as well since the Kobo Glo is just a regular Kobo with a bottom light)

Very much put this as a +++ above the Kindle.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
The nexus 7 tablets are widely reviewed as the best Android tablets on the market. For $206? I'd buy 3.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
A few observations, mostly unhelpful probably, but anyway.......

As already said, the huge difference between tablets and dedicated e-readers is the screen (e-ink vs. LCD), which also has big implications for battery life. A good e-reader might last a week or two between charges, a tablet maybe 6 or 7 hours.

That said, I've been very happy with my Playbook as an e-reader; with the brightness turned down and a custom greyish-beige page colour, reading is very comfortable and the LCD backlight is actually very nice when reading in bed in relative darkness with the lights dimmed. I should say Playbooks -- plural -- as with recent sales prices were so low that I now have three of them!

However I agree with the others, a dedicated e-reader is best if reading is all she's going to do with it. My own impressions of the different readers is outdated now, but originally I found the basic Kindle with Pearl e-ink and button navigation to be a much nicer screen than the corresponding Kobo reader. But, as Dev points out, this seems to have changed with newer models. I would still happily pick up the old button-operated Kindle if the price was right.
said by bt:

For instance, the Kindle is the only dedicated eReader that can use Amazon's ebook format (along with most tablets), but they can't access library content in Canada

Not sure what you mean by "can't access library content", but Kindles (either physical Kindles or Kindle apps) can certainly purchase Amazon books in Canada, but it goes via Amazon.com and the Canadian price may be higher. One thing I found out is that from Canada you can't trade back e-books for credit; at least, I wasn't able to get it to work, though I forget what the problem was.
bt
canada

bt

said by Wolfie00:

Not sure what you mean by "can't access library content"

Can't access content from Canadian public libraries.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Devanchya

Premium Member

to Devanchya
It's not quite, though it the mini and the touch all use a similar firmware, the Glo has a higher res screen, faster processor.

And on that note they are pushing another one out today, I think its v 2.3 something. Visually the biggest change is the home page, they change the menu options (wish lists unfortunately is unchanged in its location, size).

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
Go with the Kobo. I have an older one, which I love, but I understand the Glo is quite good. It would be first on my list if I ever had to replace this one. Halifax Library (just checked) has over 10,000 fiction books and over 3000 nonfiction. Popular titles have waiting lists, but libraries are a great source of free books.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

I'd recommend a trip down to The Source or some other place that stocks them where you can see them up close and personal. It completely changed my opinion of what I preferred.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
Most Canadian libraries use Overdrive to manage their digital collections, and pair it with Adobe's Digital Editions (ADE) to download and then load the book into the ereader. Unfortunately these don't work with the Kindle.

Overall to borrow an e-book is somewhat convoluted, first you must find the book you want; if it’s available you log in, add it (and or others) to your card and then check out. The checkout process gives you a link to an ACSM file which you can download or open which will start up ADE which then downloads the file. Finally you use ADE to move the book from the computer to the ereader. Though ADE will tell you how many days are left on the loan, you get no indication on the ereader, once the book expires you can't open it and you get a useless cryptic error message.
bt
canada

bt

The sad part is that Overdrive is what US libraries use to lend Kindle books, it just isn't supported outside of the US.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
Thanks for the info. I knew nothing about this. My interactions on e-books have mostly been purchases from Amazon.
Expand your moderator at work

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Re: Spouse wants a Techhy Item.....

Thanks for the feedback. She likes to play mindless games on her iphone (easily distracted LOL), so the appeal for a multipurpose unit is there.

I believe the nexus has a kindle app for ereading? Does this mimic the e-ink experience. Wondering if anyone has actually used the nexus 7 for ereading. Are there other apps for example?
Anav

Anav

Premium Member

Okay you KOBO luvers, now you got me looking at the kobo ARC, and Kobo Vox, How come not mentioned???
bt
canada

bt to Anav

to Anav
said by Anav:

I believe the nexus has a kindle app for ereading? Does this mimic the e-ink experience.

Yes, it has a kindle book app. No, it does not mimic the e-ink experience.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Okay so in summary.

For straight e-reading, the Kobo Glo is the winner.
For colour Tablet experience plus e-reading.
Either or .....the nexus or arc are decent and the fact that I can get the nexus so cheap its the winner of those two in my case.

So it comes down to use. Decisions, decisions,
Thanks!!

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
For the most part, which tablet to use for reading doesn't matter. Android/Blackberry/(And probably Apple's OS... can't confirm as I never used it) all have kobo app, kindle app, as well as a bunch of other 3rd party apps.

The experience of reading on a tablet is the same as reading on a laptop or computer. Feel free to download the kindle or Kobo app for PC to find out what that's like.

Then stop by chapters or any electronics store to see what a eReader with e-ink is like afterwards. The screen is a completely different technology that cannot be compared or ever be even slightly similar. Same goes for battery life.

If she only wants to read, I'd strongly suggest to look at the eReaders... if she has her phone for little games, then a tablet isn't needed. But if she really wants a tablet, then it'll depend more on what it's for. The kindle/kobo tablets are not that expensive and would be fine if it's mainly for reading... otherwise Playbook, any Android tablet or the iPad will all do, and be more or less similar for reading, so that choice will just depend on the price. hardware, preferences, etc.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

Okay you KOBO luvers, now you got me looking at the kobo ARC, and Kobo Vox, How come not mentioned???

I have an old KOBO WiFi, and honestly the lighting is the only thing I would add. I don't care about colour, don't really need a touchscreen, and I don't need it to recommend books for me. I'd be happy if they kept the old manual click page turning / buttons and just added a light.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

Arc was not reviewed well is and is discontinued, the VOX just came out (this week I think) so we do not know yet! However, they are tablets, not e-readers.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
Another thing to consider is the amount of time she spends reading - while e-ink may be easier on your eyes if you read 3 hours a day, a backlit tablet is fine for 30 minute to an hour of reading. I love my Kindle Fire and can't stand my wife's Kindle with e-ink... We read in bed and I'd need a spotlight to see her screen with almost the biggest font... I can read on my Fire with relatively small font because of the fact that it's a backlit colour screen (I just set the background to a "parchment" type paper).

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

That's addressed with the new eReaders. Kindle something and Kobo Glo have light built into the device.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
if she is interested in a tablet and currently has an iPhone, i'm surprised you haven't included either the iPad mini or one of the regular sized ones (if you wanted something bigger)...one nice feature with the apple stuff is you can share the apps on all the devices, so if she has some nice apps on her iPhone (or purchases more) she will have full access to them on the iPad device as well for no additional cost...it will also be a familiar interface for her, so she will likely be able to just pick it up and use it...while some may chime in here about "The iPad mini is crap, blah, blah, blah", there is value in familiarity, usability and compatibility...the iPad mini isn't a spec sheet warrior, but i have read and heard very positive things from people who actually use them.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Hi DJ,
Yes I have thought of that and it comes down to budget. Dont have the additional 200-500 to spend on it otherwise the ipad mini might have been a decent choice. Its hamstrung by two things though, doesnt have teh retina display and no external sdhc slot and slow processor and......... yup I would buy a new gen ipad instead of ipad mini anyday of the week right now.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

seriously anav, forget the tech specs...i would bet that if she was to use an iPad mini, and if the other aspects of it were of benefit, the difference between the displays would be marginal...i have talked and read comments from people who have used them...the new google tablets are a good deal, but the iPad mini at about $330 isn't too much more than it (most tablets are going to be at least $250ish)...personally, i think the familiarity and compatibility with existing apps would be quite valuable and likely assist in a happy customer experience...just my 2 cents.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

1 edit

donoreo to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass

said by Hydraglass See ProfileI love my Kindle Fire and can't stand my wife's Kindle with e-ink... We read in bed and I'd need a spotlight to see her screen with almost the biggest font... I can read on my Fire with relatively small font because of the fact that it's a backlit colour screen (I just set the background to a "parchment" type paper).

I do not understand this. Do you have a problem reading a book? I can read anything in almost no light, so I am a bit of an exception.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

I do not understand this. Do you have a problem reading a book? I can read anything in almost no light, so I am a bit of an exception.

I can't read a book in my bedroom - even with a book light. I can read a book sitting next to an open window in daylight, or under a 150W incandescent (or 35W cfl, pure white) bulb. I have a very hard time with contrast between the letters and the paper, even when wearing reading glasses it's just not comfortable. (And no, the built in lights on the new e-ink readers still don't cut it for me) - I need a high contrast backlit LCD to comfortably read when laying in bed or even on the couch in my living room after dark. No, it wouldn't be great for me to read outdoors - but I don't read outdoors - I even find a normal book has glare issues for me when outdoors.

As for eye strain - I read and look at content on a backlit LCD screen 10 hours a day at work - laptop or desktop monitor. An extra hour or two of reading a book the same way - works fine for me - I have even done long reads on the Fire - read King's "Under the Dome" in 2 days of 10 hours each day a few weekends ago - didn't find it really bothered me at all, but to each their own