Wow.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Other way around, the Vox came first, the Arc was released only a few weeks after the Glo and Mini came out so its very much new. It is an android device with their own reading app attached, by that it should be similar to other tablets. It runs OS 4.0 however they will be releasing an update to 4.1 at some point.

Given the price I think you get more bang for the buck from a Nexus 7 tablet, however I don't think Kobo will be releasing their Arc reading app as that would kill off their own hardware sales. I haven't touched one, however I think the Arc is more tuned towards people that want to read books (interactive and regular) and also want to check email, watch movies and such (in this order).

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

1 edit

Wolfie00 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
All this talk about e-books got me playing around with some stuff and suddenly found that my PC version of Kindle no longer runs. No error message, just nothing.

Bit of Googling revealed that PC Kindle was designed to stop working sometime back in July, and it was necessary to upgrade to a new one to get your library accessible again (I don't read books on PC Kindle, but that's often how I buy them).

The analysis was correct -- an upgrade fixed the "intended stop-working date". Proof that this was the problem was provided by my outgoing firewall, wherein Kindle started up and firewall asked permission to contact Amazon, and after that, Kindle failed to run at all, with no message, until it was upgraded. Amazon had totally nuked it.

Reminds me of complaints I've heard about Amazon deleting books from users' physical Kindles for no valid reason.

I still buy books from Amazon if the price is right and they're not readily available anywhere else, but as far as I'm concerned Amazon treats their customers like shit. I just wasted time going through a bunch of troubleshooting, looking at event logs etc. for no good reason whatsoever. Jeff Bezos can go to hell.

EDIT: Also installed Kindle on one of my Playbooks (via sideloading) just as an experiment. Gotta love the Android compatibility LOL! Amazon had promised a native version of Kindle for Playbook long ago and even got it mostly developed, then refused to bring it to market so they could promote their piece-of-shit Kindle Fire! Take that, Bezos!

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
I used to find that with my AppleTV. If you didn't update iTunes, after so many times, suddenly I couldn't download stuff to it. I hit a point where my new version iTunes suddenly couldn't connect to the internet (everything else on my computer could) and again, I couldn't connect to the AppleTV.

My solution - purchased a WDTV live hub and never looked back.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Anav

MVM

to Anav
The Kindle Paperwhite reviewed as being a bit better than the Glo (they're very similar in size/weight/shape/technology except the paperwhite has better contrast when using the frontlight), but the Paperwhite isn't available in Canada (at all), so it's a moot comparison.

I'd be interest in seeing a proper battery life comparison between the two. The two vendors claim a bunch of different numbers that are impossible to directly compare:

Amazon:
1) 2 months of casual use at 30 minutes per day with light at 10 of 24

Kobo:
1) 1 month of casual use
2) 55 hours continuous use with light on
3) 70 hours continuous use with light at 15-20%

So, basically, without knowing relative brightness, or seeing continuous use with light off, it's frustrating to compare how long the batteries last. There should be a standardized way of reporting battery life. I should be able to see for a device:

1) X hours of standby
2) Y hours of continuous use with light off
3) Z hours of continuous use with light at 100 nits

We solved this problem long ago with cellphones and laptops... You can directly compare the battery life of an iPhone and a Nexus because they both report fairly accurate estimates using similar scenarios...

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
I'm angry with this thread because it made me do something not so smart.

I just bought a Nexus 7... when I had a Samsung Tab 2 7.

The Nexus 7 is... just so much better... it makes me cry... but why did you have to be so much better that I was willing to skip lunch for a month to get it!

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Let me get it straight, you like the nexus 7 over the samsung Tab 2.
Interesting because I was also looking at the samsung as a possibility until my friend brought up the nexus option.
GBerry
join:2011-06-12
Guelph, ON

GBerry to Anav

to Anav
Not sure why battery life is a huge selling point in e-reader v. tablet. Most tablets will last 10+ hours of reading time if you are using them at the lowest brightness and have a black background. I've easily finished novels in that amount of time. Even were you to sit down and read for an entire day, you'd take breaks. Charge it for an hour while you are eating and you'll be back close to full. It isn't that big of an inconvenience.

The only thing to compare is the screen technology for reading vs. the versatility. Tablets do games, music, video, email, web, facebook, photos etc. You can even browse and download additional books. E-readers have e-ink. If you like reading on that technology, then they will be better for pure reading.

Considering the price difference is ~$70 I'd take the nexus 7 every time.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Other way around, the Vox came first, the Arc

I know, not sure why I typed it wrong. Odd.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Must me the Helliday season.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
Kobo Glo for e-ink reader.
iPad mini for tablet. iPad can install overdrive, kobo, kindle, if you want it.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Anav

to Anav
I think a refurbished Kobo Wi-Fi for $70 at Best Buy is still the best value for eReaders.

I still have no regrets buying a refurbished first-gen Kobo for $60 18 months ago.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
Anav, the Samsung is cheaper, but the Nexus is a lot better. The major thing it lacks is dual speakers (it only has 1 set) and an Expandable Memory slot. However the process and screen make up for that.

Not to mention the Samsung has the 10 pin "Ipad like" connector while the Nexus is a plain USB Mini. So easier to charge if you are not with the original cord (which has half fallen off the connector on my Tab!)

Since there is no expandable memory, think long and hard before you go "cheap" and get the 16gb one...

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Well, I find out tonight if the unit is available apparently a relative has first dibs, which is fair enough, if not available going to pick up the kobo glo, no sales though same price everywhere - 129.