uniqs
share rss forum feed

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to SuperNet9

Re: Condensation on windows, how to fix?

said by SuperNet9:

said by Hall:

said by SuperNet9:

I have my humidifier set at 3 1/2 (normal is 3-5)...

What is "normal" ?

Uploaded pic,, that is "normal"

RTFM.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

said by Hall:

said by SuperNet9:

What is "normal" ?

Uploaded pic,, that is "normal"

I see nothing in your pic labeled "normal".

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

said by robbin:

I see nothing in your pic labeled "normal".

I do. Look right above the number 5.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

said by jjoshua:

said by SuperNet9:

they are double pain

Sorry to hear that.

The condensation is not between the panes, right?

Is the condensation only on the upper sash where it meets the lower sash?

Double pain windows are bad?

Ouch. Someone's not getting it.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by Badonkadonk:

Ouch. Someone's not getting it.

Perhaps english is not a native language.

--
December is National Fruit Cake Month

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Hall

said by Hall:

said by SuperNet9:

What is "normal" ?

A common question...

"What could be causing the humidity?" ....um....your humidifier?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Coma

said by Coma:

Perhaps english is not a native language.

I'm pretty sure it is for some people.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

How do you spell pane ?

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

2 edits

I thought it was pain. ( smiley face to show sarcasm )

Anyway to OP a little condensation like that isn't bad. Like others mentioned open your blind or shades during the day so it can evaporate back into the air. That usually happens to my windows overnight. As long as it isn't the whole window with water dripping down the glass it's fine. Dial the humidity control back, but get a humidity gauge from walgreens at least. To make sure you air isn't too dry or too humid. Digital is better than the spring kind.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

said by Warzau:

I thought it was pain.

Pain is an unpleasant feeling often caused by intense or damaging stimuli, such as stubbing a toe, burning a finger, putting alcohol on a cut, and bumping the "funny bone."[1] The International Association for the Study of Pain's widely used definition states: "Pain is an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damage".
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain

pane noun \pn\

Definition of PANE

: a piece, section, or side of something: as
a : a framed sheet of glass in a window or door
b : one of the sections into which a sheet of postage stamps is cut for distribution
— paned adjective
— pane·less adjective
See pane defined for English-language learners »
See pane defined for kids »
Origin of PANE

Middle English pan, pane strip of cloth, pane, from Anglo-French pan, panne, from Latin pannus cloth, rag — more at vane
First Known Use: 14th century
»www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pane

--

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Oh I forgot my smiley face in my post to show I was being sarcastic

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Coma

Pain is a Three Days Grace song...

SteelersFan

join:2001-02-12
Rockwall, TX
reply to SuperNet9

We had a few windows getting condensation, but discovered it was because of leaks in the pane. Replaced the pane and the condensation went away.

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to SuperNet9

We have this problem too, but it's because we have so many people living in our house. Humidity is 78% indoors. Furnace never runs because we have enough bodies and insulation that the temperature is mostly above the setting of the thermostat. It concerns me because my older windows have wooden sashes and I am constantly drying them with a rag and replacing the screens.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand
reply to SuperNet9

What could be causing the condensation?

I'm not sure of your circumstances but here in NirvanaLand, we had all the windows replaced this past year with High efficiency, double coated Argon filled triple pane units and I still get condensation on the windows . . . but this may be the result of the all the live foliage inside at this time of year.

--

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

Hello, I am getting condensation on ALL my windows in the house, they are double pain windows as well...

I have my humidifier set at 3 1/2 (normal is 3-5) and the numbers are 1-10(i believe)...

I have the house set at 69 degrees Fahrenheit.

What could be causing the condensation?

Your window seal isn't working like it should be and leaking air it is coming in contact with the warm air at that spot! the rest of the window isn't fogged up so i know the window seal is good.
--
Holocaust survivors and their family's fill this out.
»online.ushmm.org/registry/update···form.php

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

No, his humidity level is to high inside the house.

Condensation is at the edges because that is the colder part of the glass (it is near the spacer between the 2 panes of glass).

Alternately, he could increase the temperature outside to correct the concern.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to 08034016

said by 08034016:

Your window seal isn't working like it should be and leaking air it is coming in contact with the warm air at that spot! the rest of the window isn't fogged up so i know the window seal is good.

Kind of.

Tight sealing modern windows often "sweat" more than looser, leaky windows, because they aren't allowing warm moist air to escape to the outdoors.

The reason that condensation is normally seen at the bottom of each sash is that most HVAC vents are near the floor, so when warm air rises it moves up and doesn't make a sharp turn in where the bottom sash meets the top sash. It warms most of the surface of the glass, but the coldest part remains at the meeting rail, and that's naturally the poorest performing seal on a single- or double-hung window.

Bottom line, humidity level is too high. Maybe your outdoor sensor isn't working properly, or the calibration of the unit is off?

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

said by jester121:

said by 08034016:

Kind of.

Tight sealing modern windows often "sweat" more than looser, leaky windows, because they aren't allowing warm moist air to escape to the outdoors.

All my windows are Sealed but one i put a towel there. I even Checked it with a Feather to see if that one was Leaking alittle i was Correct!!!

The Author Could use that Trick to see if its leaking by using the Feather Not down.
--
Holocaust survivors and their family's fill this out.
»online.ushmm.org/registry/update···form.php

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to SuperNet9

What's the outside temperature?

A little bit of condensation is normal and nothing to worry about.

You could try turning the humidifier down to 2. Getting a hygrometer would make finding the right setting a little easier.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to jester121

said by jester121:

I disagree because that statement is very general.

Single pane uninsulated glass can still be part of a very tight sealed window. No warm moist air gets out, but the glass so much colder than if it was a double pane insulated window. Hence, more condensation.

You can have tight sealed modern windows installed in an old house.
The old house is leaky by nature, so the warn humid air will escape elsewhere. Hence the indoor air is dry and condensation is not an issue.

A modern/renovated tight sealed house with a couple of leaky windows might still maintain a high level of humidity, and the leak at the windows will accentuate the condensation. For example:

1 - The leak allows cold exterior air to come inside, and as it does so, it cools down the interior window glass, which increases condensation when warm humid air makes contact with that colder glass.

2 - The leak allows warm humid indoor air to get out of the window. That warm moist air flows across the exterior glass, condensing right away onto the so very cold exterior glass.

Scenario #2 happened to me. The window wasn't closed properly. I could see a brush of iced up condensed water on the exterior side of the glass, showing where the leak started and where the warm air brushed against the glass.