Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2

1 edit

*SOLVED* [XPPro] Icons won't move to second monitor

Stumped on this one.
Laptop with an external monitor. Using the laptop screen as the primary and external monitor as the secondary. The physical location is the laptop is on the left and the monitor on the right.
When an icon is dragged from the primary to the secondary and dropped it immediately goes right back to the primary monitor but stays at the right edge of the screen.
This ONLY happens with icons. A window can be moved to the secondary monitor.
I have checked to make sure Auto Arrange is not checked for the icons.

Now, this is where it gets strange;
If I go into display settings - advanced and switch the monitors around so it shows 2-1 instead of 1-2 the icons can be moved to the secondary monitor (of course it's backwards as the icon has to be dragged to the left to get to the secondary monitor). Now, back to advanced settings and switch the monitors back to the correct location - 1-2 and the moved icons go right back to the primary monitor.

I've been Googling but not having any luck figuring out why this is happening.

Ideas?
--
Today I saw something that reminded me of you. But don’t worry, I flushed and everything went back to normal.

deke40
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Texas

Re: [XPPro] Icons won't move to second monitor

I basically have the same setup you have.

My external monitor is usually on standby but when I use both I can drag an icon to the external and it stays.

The only difference is mine are set up in a vertical alignment.

Is there anything I can check for you on my setup to compare?

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
Houston, TX
Thanks for the reply. Not really anything to compare.
I've been in IT for 30 years and I've never seen anything quite like this. It's really got me stumped.
--
Today I saw something that reminded me of you. But don’t worry, I flushed and everything went back to normal.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to Locutus65
Just a wild guess. What is the display adapter on the laptop? Is there any adapter software that could be playing games with you. I've seen ATI software (for example) that lets you do things with two monitors, that Windows by itself will not do. You might try updating your display adapter driver and associated software as that software may be over-riding Windows normal behavior.

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
Houston, TX
That's a thought. I'll have to check the adapter tomorrow when I am back at the computer.

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to Locutus65

Re: *SOLVED* [XPPro] Icons won't move to second monitor

Well, no idea why but the issue seems to have resolved itself.
Thanks for the replies

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

It was just being persnickety.