nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to I AM

Re: rose-colored glasses (Q-Q--)

said by I AM:

HEY. Us folks in PA now have Amish Mafia to worry about!

The Amish Mafia show consists of reenactments of "stories" that supposedly happened - aka fake.

There is no Amish Mafia, they would be rejected by both the church and the community. It's really a harmful show to the Amish even more so than the recent abundance of reality Amish shows.

Edit: I know your comment was comical, I'm not directing this at you. Simply stating how ludicrous the Amish Mafia show is...

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
reply to TheThing

They can fling manure which stinks.

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to Immer

Allentown says hi

Rhenai

join:2010-09-07
Elkhorn, NE
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to TheThing

Tell me what this sound is:

clop
clop
clop
clop
clop
BANG
Bang
clop
clop
clop

(it's an Amish drive-by shooting)
--
“Amor Fati – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.”

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to Immer

Amish mafia?

What do they fight with? staves?

drive-bye staffing.... oh shit watch out!

RRedline
Rated R
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Attleboro, MA
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

said by RRedline:

I have a social life.

quote:
Williamsport, PA
Yeah right.

I didn't say it was an exciting social life.
--
One nation, under Zod!

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to I AM

PA +1

It's pretty interesting how many PA players there are. I've randomly solicited new recruits for the guild for the past month and I bet 60% of all the people who have joined have been from PA.

Out of all the servers across the US, and out of all the people across the US on my server... Odd how that works.

And it's a pretty much a split 50/50 female vs male.

AND we talk and don't just login and ignore one another or show up for set raid times. It's small enough still to have everyone on a first name basis. Pretty crazy.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Archivis

I'm in Lancaster. Not sure where the show is shot though as most Amish here are really nice. OR ARE THEY?!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to I AM

Not in my area or your area. If we were in Lancaster? Maybe.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Archivis

HEY. Us folks in PA now have Amish Mafia to worry about!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to RRedline

said by RRedline:

I have a social life.

quote:
Williamsport, PA
Yeah right.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium
Attleboro, MA
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

No no and No.

You likely never played Everquest, If you had a job you likely missed the raid content that was spawned. I did enjoy the race for dragons in EQ. But these days its nice to know the guild has set nights we get together and do things and that said things will not have been killed at 3am by people in another timezone.

Scheduled raids is exactly what I DON'T want. I have a job, and I have a social life. I am NOT going to commit myself to playing on any schedule. I like to log on, see which friends are online, party up and have fun. Ultima Online was GREAT for that type of player, at least it was when I played it

BTW Snakeoil, I must have played way before you did. Most of what you said doesn't sound familiar at all. Archery ruled the day when I played...everyone ran with a heavy crossbow and magic. Kerplunk, kerplunk, "Corp Por!"

I remember vanquishing weapons, but you were crazy to run around with a good weapon without backup. I had a vanquishing bow that I almost never used because I was afraid of losing it. I played around late 2008 until 2000ish. I am not kidding when I say it was the most fun I ever had online.
--
One nation, under Zod!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

said by RRedline:

The problem is that people are obsessed with gear, achievements, etc. UO was truly a virtual world, and that's what made it so cool to me.

I am not trashing WoW. I have played it (off and on) longer than any other game I have ever played, with the exception of the Street Fighter series, which isn't even an MMO. I love WoW, but at the same time I hate it. There just isn't anything "personal" about it to me, other than the few real life friends that I play with. I really think that a lot of the social features are what make it that way (ironically). Guilds are a dime a dozen, and like you, the main reason I am in one is to get the perks.

I still say it's a bait and switch. It's a cool virtual world all the way to max level, then it turns into World of Instancecraft. They might as well let you queue up for whatever right on the log-in screen. You can go to one of the opposing faction's capital cities and attack NPC's, and hardly anyone even cares because OMG IT'S RAID NIGHT!

They need to fully move Raiding to the open World.

No no and No.

You likely never played Everquest, If you had a job you likely missed the raid content that was spawned. I did enjoy the race for dragons in EQ. But these days its nice to know the guild has set nights we get together and do things and that said things will not have been killed at 3am by people in another timezone.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to TheThing

It's a quad core AMD phemon processor, 2 GB of ram [the max the economy valued MB will accept], a nvida 7900GT video card [could be a 9800, I seldom use that box, I use my linux box more], windows vista.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

when can we expect Titan?? 10 years?

Nothing at this point.

TheThing

reply to Snakeoil

GW2 is no silver bullet by anymeans, but imo it is great, but not for everyone

what are your system specs... during beta my old machine could not handle it, after beta it could(on low settings) cause the game was optimized at that point

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to I AM

I would if I could afford it. But sadly many gaming companies are so proud of their product, it's beyond my reach to play.

Add to that, my PC is 6 years old, and I doubt it would run GW2. Now if it was available on the PS3 [I don't know if it is or not], and in the bargain bin for about 10 to 20 bucks, then I'll give it a try.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Immer

TITAN needs to come out ASAP

but really will it be good enough?

and with Blizzard's track record with D3 time to market, and SC2 time to market... when can we expect Titan?? 10 years?

going to have to play Arch's text rpgs then...

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Immer

I would like to further say, that GW2 is more like diablo 3 in the end game grind than WoW... at least for the open world portion of it, which is like 1/4 of the end game

GW2 just like D3, you equip your MF set, explore and kill things

now with a full MF set in GW2, I know where to farm things I want... and it's turning into crack... when the "ooooo shinies" drop

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

That's called...Dynamic Events. Try GW2 =)

^This, exactly GW2

However, GW2 at end game lacks a lot of gear progression like other MMOs, like WoW

You get exotic gear at max level... and that's pretty easy to get, and that's about it

the next step is legendary and ascended gear, which are 95% cosmetic upgrades only... and offer very little stat improvement

WoW Progression + GW2 random events = bath salts

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Snakeoil

That's called...Dynamic Events. Try GW2 =)

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

said by RRedline:

The problem is that people are obsessed with gear, achievements, etc. UO was truly a virtual world, and that's what made it so cool to me.

I am not trashing WoW. I have played it (off and on) longer than any other game I have ever played, with the exception of the Street Fighter series, which isn't even an MMO. I love WoW, but at the same time I hate it. There just isn't anything "personal" about it to me, other than the few real life friends that I play with. I really think that a lot of the social features are what make it that way (ironically). Guilds are a dime a dozen, and like you, the main reason I am in one is to get the perks.

I still say it's a bait and switch. It's a cool virtual world all the way to max level, then it turns into World of Instancecraft. They might as well let you queue up for whatever right on the log-in screen. You can go to one of the opposing faction's capital cities and attack NPC's, and hardly anyone even cares because OMG IT'S RAID NIGHT!

They need to fully move PvP to the open World.

to keep the open World relevant and meaningful.

GW2 gets there maybe 25% of the way end game with open World events, which basically gets you access to tons of gold, and pretty much the best gear in the game.

To do this WoW would need to spawn Overflows servers just like GW2 does. If a hotly contested PvP zone reaches too many players spawn an overflow.

If a Raiding open world zone reaches too many players spawn and overflow.

No waiting ever... just go there and play

The only instanced portion of the game should be dungeon, which you have to actually travel to with a group of 5, to keep the immersion real.

One thing that I like about Rift, is the fact that Rifts open up any where in a zone and anyone nearby can jump in and have fun. But I also dislike it, because my current PC is a junker and a Rift makes the PC crawl to a stop. And this is on low render settings. The nice thing is, if you did anything at all in the Rift event you get some credit, and maybe a reward.
I think it would be "kool" to have random pop up events like that in WOW. you are out questing, gathering mats, and an alert pops up, telling you an attack is happening..
*Kinda like it does when the opposing faction players raid a town*
For example: duskwood could be attacked by a bunch of angry flea infested worgens. So a call goes out to help the town defend itself. Anyone that wants in can hit "I want in" tab, and join the battle. Everyone else would be ignored.
Or maybe a mob of drunk angry dwarfs start a bar fight in Iron forge that you have to break up.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to RRedline

quote:

I recall players in UO obsessing over weapons with the term "vanquishing" in them. Because they could kill a target in one or two hits.
Then players obsessed over Armor/clothing that would stack to give them 100% zero regent cost. Which was great, because as a "grandmaster" magic user it meant not having to carry several stacks of regents around that would take up space and add weight.

Remember UO had a space limit on packs of 250, as well as a weight limit. Go over the weight limit [I forgot what it was] and you ran out of stamina real quick.
Thats another thing I liked about UO.
The items you wore/carried effected your toon stam or dex.
Wear full plate and have very slow weapon speeds [unless your plate items had dex boosts on them].
UO was the only game I ever saw dex monkies. Players that would go "naked" and use a halberd for 1 to 2 hit kills. By being naked they could wing the halberd faster then a dagger. Needless to say the gms fixed that little mistake.
But dex played a part in how fast you could apply a bandage, and your healing/anatomy skill determined for how much that bandage would heal.

They had a lot of kool little things that other games just never tried picking up on.
For example: taming a chicken, then training it so it's strength and attack skills build. Then taking out with you and watching as it kills lizardmen and orcs. Then go to a player run chicken fight and enter the fight to see how well your chicken's training has progressed. My bard has a chicken on him [or he did last year] named KFC.
Players being able to set up a house, then place a vendor in it. heck, I'd be tickled puck, if WOW would just let use hire vendors to sell goods on the streets, outside of the AH. I like the AH, but in UO, the home owner could place a request/suggestion box and the shoppers could place requests in there.

I miss fishing. In UO, you purchased a boat and ventured out into the seas. Then you started fishing. You could pull up a boot, a sea serpent. Sea serpents gave a nice fight, and they'd sometimes have a message in a bottle as loot. The MIB gave you cords to sail to, and then you could fish up a chest filled with loot.
Much more exciting then just standing on a shore line and casting into the water.

I have noticed that Ultimate cards are good for UO playtime, I may fire up my accounts after my WOW time expires. Though the last time I did, my server was very empty, and I lost a decent mount because I forgot how to fight.. lol. It was just a fire beetle.

--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to TheThing

The current concept of overflow is crap for WoW. CRZ must die in a fire.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to RRedline

said by RRedline:

They need to fully move PvP to the open World.

to keep the open World relevant and meaningful.

GW2 gets there maybe 25% of the way end game with open World events, which basically gets you access to tons of gold, and pretty much the best gear in the game.

To do this WoW would need to spawn Overflows servers just like GW2 does. If a hotly contested PvP zone reaches too many players spawn an overflow.

If a Raiding open world zone reaches too many players spawn and overflow.

No waiting ever... just go there and play

The only instanced portion of the game should be dungeon, which you have to actually travel to with a group of 5, to keep the immersion real.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium
Attleboro, MA
reply to Snakeoil

--
One nation, under Zod!

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to RRedline

I played UO for 5 or 6 years, can't remember how long rxactly. I have 3 inactive accounts with UO.
One was my original, the second I paid a guild mate 400 bucks for. He had two houses on the server we played on, and at the time it was impossible to place a new house. So it was worth it.
The 3rd was my "smurf" account. I had joined EAs volunteer counselor service. I got a free account for as long as I was a counselor. I was a Counselor on the Great lakes server, name of Tarl.

My guildmates were the first to know, outside of my wife and I, of me becoming a dad. They were the first to know when my kids were born as well [twins].
We had a close knit group in UO. in WOW, I've been a member of several guilds, and not once did I feel like I was a "true' member. I jojn guilds just to get the boosts that come with being in a guild.
Currently, I have 3 toons in a lev 25 guild, and that guild only has 12 to 20 active members out of 100+
And we don't talk at all, and I've never seen chat for raid planing or incident planing at all.

--

RRedline
Rated R
Premium
Attleboro, MA
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

I could give you a big sloppy kiss right now.
My sediments exactly. Todays standards of PvP or pre-school compared to wha real PvP was in UO. Get killed, have everything stripped from you, your body hacked up in chunks. The chunks in turn being fed to some animal tamers pet to be turned into shit.

Ahh yes, the hell that was UO before the happy days of trammel.

The main point for me is that the introduction of instances (PvE and PvP) takes away from the "virtual world" aspect of the game. In Ultima Online, there was no endless farming of content just to get better gear. The game was a true virtual world, and it was fun not knowing what was going to happen when you turned a corner.

I admit that it was total chaos at first, but there was a short period of a year or so that made for the most fun I ever had in an online game. I only played that game for less than two years, but I still have a lot of great memories playing it. I even kept in close contact with a friend I made in the fall of 1998, and we now play WoW together.

WoW has a GREAT interface, and the content is polished to a nice shine. I just hate how the game turned mainly into a gear grind, and instanced PvP lacks the same excitement that world PvP had in UO (and COULD have in WoW). When you die in WoW, it's just not a big deal at all.
--
One nation, under Zod!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Psh no, Firefall all the way.

We'll see. The game has to offer more. I know it's in beta, so I won't judge, but the game has to be much more captivating.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Snakeoil

factioning for language could make doing some daily quests have more of a progressive reward than just gold and clothing.

I loved the sheer volume of languages that Everquest had.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports