share rss forum feed

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Snakeoil

Re: rose-colored glasses (Q-Q--)

That's called...Dynamic Events. Try GW2 =)

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

said by RRedline:

The problem is that people are obsessed with gear, achievements, etc. UO was truly a virtual world, and that's what made it so cool to me.

I am not trashing WoW. I have played it (off and on) longer than any other game I have ever played, with the exception of the Street Fighter series, which isn't even an MMO. I love WoW, but at the same time I hate it. There just isn't anything "personal" about it to me, other than the few real life friends that I play with. I really think that a lot of the social features are what make it that way (ironically). Guilds are a dime a dozen, and like you, the main reason I am in one is to get the perks.

I still say it's a bait and switch. It's a cool virtual world all the way to max level, then it turns into World of Instancecraft. They might as well let you queue up for whatever right on the log-in screen. You can go to one of the opposing faction's capital cities and attack NPC's, and hardly anyone even cares because OMG IT'S RAID NIGHT!

They need to fully move PvP to the open World.

They need to fully move Raiding to the open World.

to keep the open World relevant and meaningful.

GW2 gets there maybe 25% of the way end game with open World events, which basically gets you access to tons of gold, and pretty much the best gear in the game.

To do this WoW would need to spawn Overflows servers just like GW2 does. If a hotly contested PvP zone reaches too many players spawn an overflow.

If a Raiding open world zone reaches too many players spawn and overflow.

No waiting ever... just go there and play

The only instanced portion of the game should be dungeon, which you have to actually travel to with a group of 5, to keep the immersion real.

One thing that I like about Rift, is the fact that Rifts open up any where in a zone and anyone nearby can jump in and have fun. But I also dislike it, because my current PC is a junker and a Rift makes the PC crawl to a stop. And this is on low render settings. The nice thing is, if you did anything at all in the Rift event you get some credit, and maybe a reward.
I think it would be "kool" to have random pop up events like that in WOW. you are out questing, gathering mats, and an alert pops up, telling you an attack is happening..
*Kinda like it does when the opposing faction players raid a town*
For example: duskwood could be attacked by a bunch of angry flea infested worgens. So a call goes out to help the town defend itself. Anyone that wants in can hit "I want in" tab, and join the battle. Everyone else would be ignored.
Or maybe a mob of drunk angry dwarfs start a bar fight in Iron forge that you have to break up.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to RRedline

quote:
The problem is that people are obsessed with gear, achievements, etc. UO was truly a virtual world, and that's what made it so cool to me.

I recall players in UO obsessing over weapons with the term "vanquishing" in them. Because they could kill a target in one or two hits.
Then players obsessed over Armor/clothing that would stack to give them 100% zero regent cost. Which was great, because as a "grandmaster" magic user it meant not having to carry several stacks of regents around that would take up space and add weight.

Remember UO had a space limit on packs of 250, as well as a weight limit. Go over the weight limit [I forgot what it was] and you ran out of stamina real quick.
Thats another thing I liked about UO.
The items you wore/carried effected your toon stam or dex.
Wear full plate and have very slow weapon speeds [unless your plate items had dex boosts on them].
UO was the only game I ever saw dex monkies. Players that would go "naked" and use a halberd for 1 to 2 hit kills. By being naked they could wing the halberd faster then a dagger. Needless to say the gms fixed that little mistake.
But dex played a part in how fast you could apply a bandage, and your healing/anatomy skill determined for how much that bandage would heal.

They had a lot of kool little things that other games just never tried picking up on.
For example: taming a chicken, then training it so it's strength and attack skills build. Then taking out with you and watching as it kills lizardmen and orcs. Then go to a player run chicken fight and enter the fight to see how well your chicken's training has progressed. My bard has a chicken on him [or he did last year] named KFC.
Players being able to set up a house, then place a vendor in it. heck, I'd be tickled puck, if WOW would just let use hire vendors to sell goods on the streets, outside of the AH. I like the AH, but in UO, the home owner could place a request/suggestion box and the shoppers could place requests in there.

I miss fishing. In UO, you purchased a boat and ventured out into the seas. Then you started fishing. You could pull up a boot, a sea serpent. Sea serpents gave a nice fight, and they'd sometimes have a message in a bottle as loot. The MIB gave you cords to sail to, and then you could fish up a chest filled with loot.
Much more exciting then just standing on a shore line and casting into the water.

I have noticed that Ultimate cards are good for UO playtime, I may fire up my accounts after my WOW time expires. Though the last time I did, my server was very empty, and I lost a decent mount because I forgot how to fight.. lol. It was just a fire beetle.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to TheThing

The current concept of overflow is crap for WoW. CRZ must die in a fire.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to RRedline

said by RRedline:

I am not trashing WoW. I have played it (off and on) longer than any other game I have ever played, with the exception of the Street Fighter series, which isn't even an MMO. I love WoW, but at the same time I hate it. There just isn't anything "personal" about it to me, other than the few real life friends that I play with. I really think that a lot of the social features are what make it that way (ironically). Guilds are a dime a dozen, and like you, the main reason I am in one is to get the perks.

I still say it's a bait and switch. It's a cool virtual world all the way to max level, then it turns into World of Instancecraft. They might as well let you queue up for whatever right on the log-in screen. You can go to one of the opposing faction's capital cities and attack NPC's, and hardly anyone even cares because OMG IT'S RAID NIGHT!

They need to fully move PvP to the open World.

They need to fully move Raiding to the open World.

to keep the open World relevant and meaningful.

GW2 gets there maybe 25% of the way end game with open World events, which basically gets you access to tons of gold, and pretty much the best gear in the game.

To do this WoW would need to spawn Overflows servers just like GW2 does. If a hotly contested PvP zone reaches too many players spawn an overflow.

If a Raiding open world zone reaches too many players spawn and overflow.

No waiting ever... just go there and play

The only instanced portion of the game should be dungeon, which you have to actually travel to with a group of 5, to keep the immersion real.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Attleboro, MA
reply to Snakeoil

--
One nation, under Zod!

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to RRedline

I played UO for 5 or 6 years, can't remember how long rxactly. I have 3 inactive accounts with UO.
One was my original, the second I paid a guild mate 400 bucks for. He had two houses on the server we played on, and at the time it was impossible to place a new house. So it was worth it.
The 3rd was my "smurf" account. I had joined EAs volunteer counselor service. I got a free account for as long as I was a counselor. I was a Counselor on the Great lakes server, name of Tarl.

My guildmates were the first to know, outside of my wife and I, of me becoming a dad. They were the first to know when my kids were born as well [twins].
We had a close knit group in UO. in WOW, I've been a member of several guilds, and not once did I feel like I was a "true' member. I jojn guilds just to get the boosts that come with being in a guild.
Currently, I have 3 toons in a lev 25 guild, and that guild only has 12 to 20 active members out of 100+
And we don't talk at all, and I've never seen chat for raid planing or incident planing at all.

--

RRedline
Rated R
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Attleboro, MA
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

I could give you a big sloppy kiss right now.
My sediments exactly. Todays standards of PvP or pre-school compared to wha real PvP was in UO. Get killed, have everything stripped from you, your body hacked up in chunks. The chunks in turn being fed to some animal tamers pet to be turned into shit.

Ahh yes, the hell that was UO before the happy days of trammel.

The main point for me is that the introduction of instances (PvE and PvP) takes away from the "virtual world" aspect of the game. In Ultima Online, there was no endless farming of content just to get better gear. The game was a true virtual world, and it was fun not knowing what was going to happen when you turned a corner.

I admit that it was total chaos at first, but there was a short period of a year or so that made for the most fun I ever had in an online game. I only played that game for less than two years, but I still have a lot of great memories playing it. I even kept in close contact with a friend I made in the fall of 1998, and we now play WoW together.

WoW has a GREAT interface, and the content is polished to a nice shine. I just hate how the game turned mainly into a gear grind, and instanced PvP lacks the same excitement that world PvP had in UO (and COULD have in WoW). When you die in WoW, it's just not a big deal at all.
--
One nation, under Zod!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Psh no, Firefall all the way.

We'll see. The game has to offer more. I know it's in beta, so I won't judge, but the game has to be much more captivating.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Snakeoil

factioning for language could make doing some daily quests have more of a progressive reward than just gold and clothing.

I loved the sheer volume of languages that Everquest had.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
join:2001-09-05
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

if they allowed diplomatic solutions in WoW. The PVPers would crybaby a storm that it was "Removing the War from Warcraft."

When people claim the Horde and Alliance could never ever get along.. I like to point out a moment of reality. We nuked Japan twice and now the best selling cars in America are Toyotas and the country is one of our closest allies that is not the UK or Canada. So any disagreements can eventually be resolved

And if Worf can server on the Enterprise-D, we can see even in a fantasy world two sides can come together.
--
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

if they allowed diplomatic solutions in WoW. The PVPers would crybaby a storm that it was "Removing the War from Warcraft."

When people claim the Horde and Alliance could never ever get along.. I like to point out a moment of reality. We nuked Japan twice and now the best selling cars in America are Toyotas and the country is one of our closest allies that is not the UK or Canada. So any disagreements can eventually be resolved

Agreed. Plus this would allow the introduction of a new enemy that both need to focus on as a team.

I find it funny that there are certain factions that are both horde and alliance, Earthen Ring, but yet we can't communicate.
Could be a good reason to grind rep to exalted, just so you can trade/chat with each other.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Snakeoil

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Kearnstd

quote:
I do think two pandas should be able to always communicate though, It is silly that the moment you pick a faction you cannot talk to someone of the same race. Also while not playable, technically a blood elf and high elf should be able to communicate. they have the same origins. They are technically the same species of elf.

Agreed. I wonder if they would make changes if enough players complained?

Should be an easy patch..
New skill.. languages/diplomat/tradesman
Common, your racial language, then maybe a language of a horde race?
Which would open the possibility of doing quests to gain a positive standing with that horde/alliance faction. Which would allow you to trade items commonly found in your faction area, that are harder to find in the opposing faction area.

I like helping opposing faction players when we are in MOP, or cata, burning crusades. It seems so wrong, but at the same time kinda hopeful that one day we'd be able to sit down and share a beer.
then kill each other, then have another beer as we toss dwarfs, gnomes and goblins over the cliffs.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

said by Krisnatharok:

Pandas should have been a third race themselves, able to enter both faction's capitol cities.

Agreed. I've read a few harsh critiques about how the pandas seem to hate each other once they join alliance or horde. One person felt it was a cheap attempt by Blizzard to keep production costs down and the production on cycle.

That by having one race, blizzard hoped that a near equal number of pandas would go horde and alliance, and not to just one faction.

IMO, would have been better if they added another player race. They had two/three? other races besides Pandas in MOP, why not have one of them player run?

This is partly a flaw of the game code itself too, I think for player characters they have to be a set faction once out in the world.

To be honest despite the greater threats to Azeroth and surrounding dimensions, The Alliance and Horde are only at war because if they where not people would question how PVP works.

I do think two pandas should be able to always communicate though, It is silly that the moment you pick a faction you cannot talk to someone of the same race. Also high elves while not playable, technically a blood elf and high elf should be able to communicate. they have the same origins. They are technically the same species of elf.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

What about the online D&D game? Anyone know anything about that? I remember being on the wizards.com site and seeing an ad for it.

My kids and I played it. i just never got in it, though the kids go back to it ever so often. It's free to play. Though you have to pay to unlock new lands/dungeons/certain items/character types.
But over all not bad for a free to play game.
Give it a try, it costs nothing.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Pandas should have been a third race themselves, able to enter both faction's capitol cities.

Agreed. I've read a few harsh critiques about how the pandas seem to hate each other once they join alliance or horde. One person felt it was a cheap attempt by Blizzard to keep production costs down and the production on cycle.

That by having one race, blizzard hoped that a near equal number of pandas would go horde and alliance, and not to just one faction.

IMO, would have been better if they added another player race. They had two/three? other races besides Pandas in MOP, why not have one of them player run?
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to RRedline

quote:
My first MMORPG was Ultima Online, which in my opinion, was far better in many ways than ANY game since. The early days of UO were buggy, laggy, etc....but man, what a fun time I had. Dying actually sucked because you rezzed in nothing but your underwear! If you killed a high profile person on your server, you went to town and bragged about it. I could go on and on about how much fun that game was

I could give you a big sloppy kiss right now.
My sediments exactly. Todays standards of PvP or pre-school compared to wha real PvP was in UO. Get killed, have everything stripped from you, your body hacked up in chunks. The chunks in turn being fed to some animal tamers pet to be turned into shit.

Ahh yes, the hell that was UO before the happy days of trammel.

I like the fact that instead of rerolling a toon, you just selected a different skill, and untrained the skill you didn't want.

I guess the confusing thing about wow now is that it has no true "levels" as they exist in other mmorpgs.
I hated grand mastering blacksmithing in UO. It took so fing long. But once you did it, you felt like you accomplished something.
I miss fame/karma titles. WOWs titles are ok, but to me thy like the impact of seeing someone with the title of Dred Lord so and so. The dred tells you that they are the evilist person in site. Lord tells you that they are a very famous evil person.
And all they had to do was grind a lot of deadly poison, poison a lot of blades, then kill a few NPC healers, if they could... man they could put up a good fight.

Not bad for a dial up game with shitty graphics.

My apologies for going OT.

quote:
By the way, I really think where Blizzard has fallen short is with the type of casual player who may play a lot (tens of hours per week even), but has no interest in instances, PvE and PvE.

As such a player I can agree. There are few quests that I truly enjoy [first one is the "Punch Deathwing in the face"]. There are a lot more I wish I didn't have to do, because the rewards don't fit my class.
I wish WOW would introduce a crafter toon, or a bard.

I would be in such love of wow if my engineer could travel the wilds with a pack of goods and repairs to sell players.
I'd really be in love if i could have a bard, like I did in wow. Being able to provoke mobs into attacking each other, or to lull them to sleep so I could escape. Or to assist my combat buddies, I play a horrible sounding song that creates a discord in the enemies minds. And causes them to have reduced attacks.
Then to travel to a tavern, and to strum my lute and sing about all the glorious battles I have been in. all to woe the bar maids and to gather a few coins and some free food. And possible a bed to share with one of the bar maids.
Ahh the life of a bard.

--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Vorpil

Psh no, Firefall all the way.

Vorpil

join:2010-01-30
Wright City, MO
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

I think we'll see our group continue to subscribe, but I can definitely see that people need something else to supplement their game time with than just playing WoW every second of their spare time.

I'd like for it to be something like an FPS, but not some insta-gib nonsense. I think some co-op would be fun.

LoL anyone???
--
Deacon (Vek'nilash)
Volp (Vek'nilash)
Vorpil (Vek'nilash)

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Immer

I did not have an epic ground mount until sometime deep into BC. And never had epic flight until we did a server move and I crashed the fel iron markets five times.(farmed the shit out of Hellfire and sold in bulk, as in 200-300 bars at a time. All of it always sold and then I waited a week for the prices to push back up and dumped another 300. worked out quite well.)

one of my biggest WoW complaints is that there have been skills/spells in WoW balanced for years and years, Then along comes the arena and the nerf bat started to swing fast and furious. Everquest never had any real PVP system, But they did do something right. every spell had two data sets, if attacking a player it did less damage, So a wizard could have the equal to a tactical nuclear strike but it would not have a negative impact when two people dueled. I was always surprised that WoW never did this.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
reply to Snuffbox

Nah, I just kill threads. I should quit posting again.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Adalicia

^ SWTORs so bad, talking about it even kills threads.

Sorry Adalicia, I had to.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
reply to Snuffbox

Balance was my biggest issue. The end game content that existed at launch and what was released not long after was actually enjoyable in my opinion though the standard "not enough to do at launch" argument obviously applied.

I thought questing was the most enjoyable of any MMO I've played, both solo and group, Flash Points and Operations were enjoyable, especially story heavy ones, the three launch Warzones weren't bad but man, that fucking PvP balance. Sweet shit Bioware had no god damn idea what the fuck they were doing. And yeah, the engine that game ran on was a bloody abortion. But, once again, I'll continue to lament over what could have been.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

qualitybobby
Premium
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Adalicia

said by Adalicia:

The game, despite a plethora of faults, did some things right. And by right I mean really well. It was a good effort but too little to late. I have fond memories of my short time with it, just like Rift and Age of Conan and every other MMO that has come and gone (or remains in some semblance of what it was).

Balance and Progression > Story and Cinematics - who woulda thought?

Pure foolishness in my opinion. Game was dropped at the perfect time between expansions, they copied WoW almost word for word and had potential to keep a lot of WoW's subscriptions, that's where the "did some things right" ends however.

It's one of the largest gaming flops I've seen, keeping their budget in mind.

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

Inconceivable!

MWAHAHAHA! MWAHAHAHAHAAAA! MWAHAHA... {thud}

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Immer

I enjoyed my time leveling in SWTOR up to 50.

What irritated the crap out of me was how fuckin shitty the game ran. Imperial Fleet was a slide show.

Even people running i7's at the time were complaining about how bad it was.

The game engine was just, bad.

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to Adalicia

I cant disagree with you more. It was bad out of the gate, from concept to implementation, it was bad. Bioware does single player console games great, MMOS.....um, not so much. The only thing it got right was the cinematics.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to McBrain

Inconceivable!