Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Cptbeatstix

Re: rose-colored glasses (Q-Q--)

We will see what happens when all the anual passes phase out. Mine is due on March.

I agree with Arch there.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
I think we'll see our group continue to subscribe, but I can definitely see that people need something else to supplement their game time with than just playing WoW every second of their spare time.

I'd like for it to be something like an FPS, but not some insta-gib nonsense. I think some co-op would be fun.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
reply to Immer
I always imagined what WoW would be like as a FPS. Just a hack and slash type game lol. Think Skyrim+Halo 4 Multiplayer+Fallout quest lines.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Archivis
I came back for a 10day trial of Pandaria.

The whole "asian" theme fell flat with me, and to be honest just felt bizzare being in World of Warcraft.

I believe a lot of people feel the same way with the current story line.

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to Jobbie
Mine was up in October, but I got a 1 year WoW time card for my birthday in April and a friend of mine and I RAF'ed each other for the nightwing mount, so I'm paid up until the end of May. We'll see if I'm still playing after I have to start paying for a monthly sub again.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
bTU, I am in the same boat as you.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to Immer
Personally I think Blizzard has a great thing going and I'm still in the mode of counting the minutes until I can play again. I wonder if one of the differences is veteran players vs newer players like myself. The friends and family around me have really taken to Pandaria and have alot more interest than in the past. I think with just about anything, at some point people are going to become jaded with it. Is it a year, 3 years, 5 years, I don't know. Not that you ever want to see veteran players go, but if they are being replaced by newer players than that is probably a better thing for Blizzard long term. Things that lull and then bounce back or rotate fresh people through it periodically are the things that stay around forever.

I think of Magic: The Gathering like this. I was a zealot for that card game back in the early-mid 90's but by the end of the decade I thought it was on a dying limb. I didn't play any longer and neither did my friends. But for the past ten years we have popped in and out periodically and had "the fever" back for a month or two. And now that we have kids in college, I can say that I'm absolutely amazed to see that it is still not only alive, but thriving on college campuses still 20 some years later (wow that makes me feel old). I have a feeling WoW will be the same. So if you're not planning on cashing out your stock in the near term, Blizzard is still a good long term investment.

xenograffiti

@unt.edu
reply to Immer
IMO, as someone who never played the Warcraft RTS, the new stories aren't any less engaging than the old ones. Arthas didn't mean any more or less to me then than a Mogu Emperor does now. For all the folks who are vocal online about these things there are more who just play for fun and don't know/care about lore.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Attleboro, MA
reply to Carpie
I kinda agree with Carpie. I really think people just get burnt out over time, no matter how good the game is. I have come and gone several times since vanilla WoW, and I just started back to see MoP about two weeks ago. So far, I am enjoying myself a lot, but admittedly I am taking my time getting to 90 on my main, and I am spending a lot of time leveling up two alts. I raided MC in vanilla, and then pretty much swore off of PVE instances. My first MMORPG was Ultima Online, which in my opinion, was far better in many ways than ANY game since. The early days of UO were buggy, laggy, etc....but man, what a fun time I had. Dying actually sucked because you rezzed in nothing but your underwear! If you killed a high profile person on your server, you went to town and bragged about it. I could go on and on about how much fun that game was, but I can understand why games went more towards what we have today with regards to gearing and PvP.

I was very disappointed in Cataclysm because I thought they went way overboard with healing and health, and it ruined PvP for me. I spent a few months getting rich by being savvy with the AH and making Darkmoon Cards (I made about 1,000,000 gold in two months). I went into MoP with no expectations, so it's hard to get disappointed. If I get bored with it, I'll just cancel and wait for the next x-pack. It sure is nice starting out fresh with hundreds of thousands of gold in the bank.

By the way, I really think where Blizzard has fallen short is with the type of casual player who may play a lot (tens of hours per week even), but has no interest in instances, PvE and PvE. I really think it's a form of bait and switch when you have someone level up a character all the way to max level, able to log on and off on their own schedule, not needing to rely on others to progress, and then reach max level and be forced into instanced crap with others in order to progress. I may sound like the grumpy old guy who chases kids off his lawn, but I would rather that there were no instances at all in the game. I also think PvP servers should be called "Normal", and PvE servers called something else. I can't believe they created a world with two opposing factions, and then did so little to encourage PvP in the open world.
--
One nation, under Zod!

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

I think we'll see our group continue to subscribe, but I can definitely see that people need something else to supplement their game time with than just playing WoW every second of their spare time.

I'd like for it to be something like an FPS, but not some insta-gib nonsense. I think some co-op would be fun.

firefall

xenograffiti

@unt.edu
reply to RRedline
said by RRedline:

I really think where Blizzard has fallen short is with the type of casual player who may play a lot (tens of hours per week even), but has no interest in instances

Yeah Blizzard really screwed all 23 of you.

Snark aside, they're a huge part of an MMORPG, and besides there is plenty to do outside of them.

jofos

join:2008-02-14
Irvington, AL
reply to Immer
I think the big thing with the story is before the expansion the was a story. You could go to the plague lands and see what got Arthas going. But with the pandas its more like where the fuck did these drunk guys come from.
I do like somethings about this xpac, but I just don't know if there is enough there to keep me around and actually playing for very long.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to TheThing
said by TheThing:

said by Archivis:

firefall

Firefall is a great idea, as are GW2/SWTOR/TSW. I may go back and check out all four at some point, but right now I've been consumed by my Crysis 2 playthrough--shit is maxed at ultra with all DX11 goodies on at 2560x1440, it's gorgeous, and the storyline rocks.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to RRedline
PvP would be more engaging with a 3rd faction.

1.humans,dwarves,gnomes, nelfs

2.undead,belfs,worgen

3.orcs,trolls,tauren

idk about spacegoats and pandas tough
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Pandas should have been a third race themselves, able to enter both faction's capitol cities.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
What do we do with Goblins? Turn them back to NPCs?

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
reply to xenograffiti
I was a little late getting into warcraft 3 and then wow. I started playing warcraft 3 in 2008 bc a friend talked me into trying it. The storyline was amazing and got me hooked into the WoW universe. I can understand you saying the Illidan and Lich King story line is on par with todays current storylines if all you have to judge them is based on WoW. But if you ever go back and play Warcraft 3 you will realize that Illidan and Arthas ARE Warcraft! At least imo. I still love WoW and will continue to play, but the main story of WoW died with Illidan and Arthas for me. After beating the Lich king I felt like I had beaten the game.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
said by Vinceruos_t:

I was a little late getting into warcraft 3 and then wow. I started playing warcraft 3 in 2008 bc a friend talked me into trying it. The storyline was amazing and got me hooked into the WoW universe. I can understand you saying the Illidan and Lich King story line is on par with todays current storylines if all you have to judge them is based on WoW. But if you ever go back and play Warcraft 3 you will realize that Illidan and Arthas ARE Warcraft! At least imo. I still love WoW and will continue to play, but the main story of WoW died with Illidan and Arthas for me. After beating the Lich king I felt like I had beaten the game.

Totally agree with you there. Kiliing the LK is what made me take a break from WoW just to come back to late Cataclysm.
--

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

\The whole "asian" theme fell flat with me, and to be honest just felt bizzare being in World of Warcraft.

same here and i'm "asian" . I didnt play much after BC but what i did play of wrath seemed epic story wise. When i came back fully in Cata, it just seemed dull. MoP is not much different but to each his own.
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to Jobbie
I think a few in this thread nailed it. For me WoW stopped feeling like WoW with Cata. Illidan and LK were the culmination of warcraft, for me at least. I didnt feel engaged with anything in Cata, it was a a bunch of mis-steps in gameplay and the story arch was blah. DS for damn near a year was mind-numbing. It may sound silly but the thing that I enjoyed most in Cata was transmogging and the Well of Eternity instance.....go figure.

Then MoP came, I leveled my main (rogue) and did the daily rep grind, got the cloud serpent, did the MV raid and then just couldnt care less. I just couldnt bring myself to level rep with dailies and build a farm.MoP feels like another game, not saying it is bad in it's inception, but it doesnt feel like warcraft. Sha, killing monkeys in a brewery, pandas, starship troopers (Im sorry, Klaxxi) and Green Acres Playland just doesnt feel WoW to me.

I've played since release of vanilla, and though I have had my moments of boredom (i.e. Cata), MoP is the only thing that made me stop. If the next x-pac is back to Outland or Sargeras or something along those lines, I know I would come back. As it is, I wait....

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I am a huge fan of the RTS series and WC3 was one of the games I have spent the most time solo or on lan parties. So when I killed Arthas it felt like closing the circle, which was really hard to open for DW until I started reading the books but It was way too late for me.
--

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by TheThing:

said by Archivis:

firefall

Firefall is a great idea, as are GW2/SWTOR/TSW. I may go back and check out all four at some point, but right now I've been consumed by my Crysis 2 playthrough--shit is maxed at ultra with all DX11 goodies on at 2560x1440, it's gorgeous, and the storyline rocks.

I get the feeling hardcore WoWers would never ever transition to GW2.

SWTOR has such a bad rep, I think that would be a stretch too.

TSW doesn't that have beast mode system requirements?

my impression of firefall so far is a FPS WoW... i can see it getting huge. When you guys start a guild there be sure not to forget me! It's supposed to have WoW-like raids and everything. From what I've played of it, and from what it's supposed to be I'm pumped! *drooling* I can see this being a huge hit with WoWers... and be fun to get everyone on vent/skype/mumble

Skittles
Premium
said by TheThing:

SWTOR has such a bad rep

and earned every bit of that rep....

Carpie

united state
reply to TheThing
What about the online D&D game? Anyone know anything about that? I remember being on the wizards.com site and seeing an ad for it.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
DDO? I heard it did pretty well and found a niche with its community.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:13
reply to Skittles
The game, despite a plethora of faults, did some things right. And by right I mean really well. It was a good effort but too little to late. I have fond memories of my short time with it, just like Rift and Age of Conan and every other MMO that has come and gone (or remains in some semblance of what it was).
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
said by Adalicia:

The game, despite a plethora of faults, did some things right.

Namely, not get into a battle of wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Carpie

united state
Inconceivable!

Skittles
Premium
reply to Adalicia
I cant disagree with you more. It was bad out of the gate, from concept to implementation, it was bad. Bioware does single player console games great, MMOS.....um, not so much. The only thing it got right was the cinematics.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Immer
I enjoyed my time leveling in SWTOR up to 50.

What irritated the crap out of me was how fuckin shitty the game ran. Imperial Fleet was a slide show.

Even people running i7's at the time were complaining about how bad it was.

The game engine was just, bad.