Search similar:

uniqs

REITOwner
@verizon.net

REITOwner

Anon

Take this analogy further

Let's take this analogy further.....
I am an investor/owner of several dozen strip malls and shopping centers. They have all kinds of stores in them from banks, hairdressers, convenience stores/bodegas, clothes stores, etc. One or a few of them are selling knock off clothes and merchandise along with all the legit stuff they sell. If we extend this analogy, I as the owner of the strip malls would be responsible for policing all my tenants to make sure that they are only selling legit stuff and no knockoffs.

How in heck would you expect me to do this? I would have to hire a team of investigators and experts who could spot fakes from the real stuff. Then we would have to continually check on the tenants. Who is going to bear the cost of this -- certainly not me, my tenants or their shoppers!
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude

said by REITOwner :

I am an investor/owner of several dozen strip malls and shopping centers. They have all kinds of stores in them from banks, hairdressers, convenience stores/bodegas, clothes stores, etc. One or a few of them are selling knock off clothes and merchandise along with all the legit stuff they sell. If we extend this analogy, I as the owner of the strip malls would be responsible for policing all my tenants to make sure that they are only selling legit stuff and no knockoffs.

How in heck would you expect me to do this? I would have to hire a team of investigators and experts who could spot fakes from the real stuff. Then we would have to continually check on the tenants. Who is going to bear the cost of this -- certainly not me, my tenants or their shoppers!

I wish I could get someone else to do my day job for me for free and I still get paid in full for a days work - now that would be awesome!
patronanejo
join:2009-09-10
EC2R 8AH

2 edits

patronanejo to REITOwner

to REITOwner
said by REITOwner :

I am an investor/owner of several dozen strip malls and shopping centers... I would have to hire a team of investigators and experts who....would have to continually check on the tenants...!

Agreed--like rradina's, your analogy is easy to extend because the issues are so clear-cut. The intellectual-property racketeers have crossed the line and left it far, far behind.

For decades, an underground network of tape-traders operated via the mails, exchanging bootlegged recordings from coast to coast. And for decades, the burden rightly lay with copyright owners to collect evidence sufficient to warrant a court order--in response to which the parcel services would rightly cooperate in full.

The thought of compelling the delivery services into examining every package for bootlegged recordings is patently preposterous, and would have outraged anyone within earshot of the idea--never mind that it would all take place without judicial oversight.

That a legitimate service can be coerced into invading the privacy of its own customers is simply not consistent with First World values. Moreover, the extortionists exert a destabilising effect on commerce, as there can be no confidence without accountability.
patronanejo

patronanejo to averagedude

to averagedude
said by averagedude:

I wish I could get someone else to do my day job for me for free and I still get paid in full for a days work - now that would be awesome!

When justice is served, they will be required to compensate everyone for the services and labours they have extorted over the years.

Without a court order, they are not entitled to anyone's cooperation. Fuck doing their job for them, they aren't even entitled to sympathy.