Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

How Paper Bills Could Protect You From Cyber Theft

»go.bloomberg.com/tech-blog/2012- ··· r-theft/

"... An exchange I had last week with Tom Kellermann, a cyber security expert who has advised the White House and the World Bank Treasury, sparked a new tip that might upset anyone who has a “think before printing” disclaimer in their e-mail signature: Don’t use paperless billing..."

I still use paperless billings.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

4 edits
quote:
In other words, your account could show a full balance online but actually be empty. The only way you’d find out is if you went over the limit or if you see it on a paper statement that’s mailed to your home.

So is he saying that electronic statements (in PDF form) are useless too? My bet is that the computer system that generates the PDF is the same one that prints a physical statement. If the data in the computer is hacked I'd expect both to be incorrect.

I can imagine that a website page, displayed in a compromised browser, could display incorrect information whereas a provider generated statement, in whatever form, would be correct.

I always download and check statements in PDF format.

Upon reflection I guess a hacker could provide a (modified) link to a bogus PDF statement if the users browser was hijacked. IMO doing that well enough to pass unnoticed (by me anyway) would be difficult but certainly possible. I always visit the providers page for downloading statements and not links in email etc. In theory that may not make a difference.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!