uniqs

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Any snow down East?

We're flying to Montreal this weekend for Christmas and wonder what it's like out there?

We've got a ton of snow here in the Okanagan and while it's pretty when the suns out............it's a PITA to shovel.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

We're flying to Montreal this weekend for Christmas and wonder what it's like out there?

We've got a ton of snow here in the Okanagan and while it's pretty when the suns out............it's a PITA to shovel.

10 cm overnight and today so far... It was supposed to be rain, but the temperature didn't play along by about 1/2 to 1 degree.
It is supposed to warm up later in the week, and rain by Friday. Again, depends on the temp....

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Yeah, Friday was originally supposed to be some 20 cm of snow... but the new weather prediction is turning it into 20mm of rain...

I'm glad that today's rain turned into snow though. So much nicer like that.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

not a flake here in Toronto... unusually warm too, 8C
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Montreal current conditions and 7-day forecast from Environment Canada at »text.www.weatheroffice.g ··· l?qc-147 Be forewarned that beyond 2 days, the models' accuracy falls off.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

EC issued an SWS today about a winter storm for the end of the work week. Enjoy it while it lasts.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

We're flying to Montreal this weekend for Christmas

Can you fly direct from Kelowna, ZZZZZZZ?

FaxCap

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
here is a quote from a thread on accuweather forums:

"Just north east of Montreal (Lanaudiere Region). It's gonna be a very white Christmas, and with what's in store for Friday/saturday, add another possible 20-30cm.

It's still snowing at the moment, and should until tonight.

Santa will have a nice landing strip
Image from Yr.NO - Nikita Buid"

»forums.accuweather.com/i ··· tart=300

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
No our flight is from Van.........no idea why they can't have direct flights from here.

And even coming back we have to make a pit stop in T.O.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr

said by ZZZZZZZ:

No our flight is from Van.........no idea why they can't have direct flights from here.

And even coming back we have to make a pit stop in T.O.

Kelowna is more of a regional airport than international (even if it claims to be international)

I fly out of Kamloops from time to time and always have to sit at the Calgary airport for a couple hours before I continue to Hamilton.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by HiVolt:

EC issued an SWS today about a winter storm for the end of the work week. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Yea, not gonna happen...

rain, thats all, maybe a flake or two but nothing to write home about...

naturally, there will be 400 accidents on the roads in the GTA...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Depends on track, but yeah. Being here in Niagara, I assume rain for anything.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Weird day in the Vancouver area. The northern and eastern sections
of Vancouver got nailed with snow and freezing rain. The new Port
Mann bridge is shut down as huge chucks of ice are falling off the
support cables crashing through windshields.

Total gridlock as people try the few other routes to go east up the
valley. Meanwhile here in the White Rock area you would never know
there was snow anywhere. No snow at all.

FaxCap

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
mislabeled >_>

Quebec is too far west to be down east.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

The new Port
Mann bridge is shut down as huge chucks of ice are falling off the
support cables crashing through windshields.

There were huge chunks of ice falling off the Prescott-Odgensburg Bridge when I was on my way back from Ottawa early last week. It was frightening as there was nowhere to go and you didn't want to stop else have one fall on your car anyway. Normally I would have booked it across the bridge as fast as I could go if not for some douchebag in front of me who saw fit to go 40KM/h while I had insufficient sight lines to pass. Not a fun experience at all.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
A huge chunk of ice went through a guy's sunroof and knocked him
out cold.

Hopefully this is just a result of the weird weather conditions
yesterday. If it isn't I can see those cables being wrapped in heating
cables or the type of sheets used in underfloor heating.

FaxCap

horsey
@eastlink.ca

horsey to ZZZZZZZ

Anon

to ZZZZZZZ
Montreal is not part of eastern anything.
back at the ranch...South end Halifax No snow and turned the soil in the garden today.
Christmas dinner will be outside Deep fried turkey and boiled lobster
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes

said by horsey :

Montreal is not part of eastern anything.

But... but... but... Winnipeg is in the CFL East... and the NHL South East.

horsey
@eastlink.ca

horsey

Anon

Busted
On the lighter side...This makes Toronto a part of eastern Canada...Montreal is the mid east and Halifax The far east.
Alberta and Newfoundland will join an make an eastern sandwich.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Holy Crap,we're trying to fly out of here with a bloody blizzard in progress..........supposedly 30 cm expected....yikes.

It's been sunny for 4 days too.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
Fly out here? Nobody's flying anywhere today. It looks like there haven't been any arrivals/departures from Trudeau since 10:30 AM. Everything after that is delayed or cancelled.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Snowing today in HRM....

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Snowing today in HRM....

yep, and i gotta drive through it today as well, wonder how many of the dingle berries are going to be out for boxing week stuff.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Well we took an airport bus at 11am from Atwater and got to about 5kms from the airport,then had to hijack a cab that said he could get us there on the side roads...........oh man what a trip.

These fucking yahoos don't believe in plows.........insane.

Finally got the airport and our flight was only delayed an hour........so it lands and they're loading the bags,when these clowns decide to close the airport down for an hour to plow the runways.......7 hours after this mess started.

An hour later when everything is good,they decide to cancel the fucking flight............stupid SOBs.

So they give us a voucher for a hotel and we stood outside for an hour waiting for a shuttle that wasn't coming cause they were still at the hotel stuck in the snow..............hijacked another cab and finally made it to the hotel..................now in the bar waiting for a call from these idiots at Westjet.

I'll never fly to MTL in the winter again............it was the most mickey mouse operation I've ever seen for a city this size.............you'd think you were in some 3rd world country.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by ZZZZZZZ:

made it to the hotel..................now in the bar waiting for a call from these idiots at Westjet.

Don't blame Westjet....Scair Canada most likely cancelled 10 times as
many flights as Westjet.
said by ZZZZZZZ:

I'll never fly to MTL in the winter again

There's your real problem.

FaxCap

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
Really? So, you're going to equate the experience of trying to catch a flight out of Montreal in the middle of the worst storm in history (we broke the single day snowfall record at 7PM tonight when we passed 45cm) with trying to fly out of Montreal during the winter in general?

Way to make the most ridiculous generalization possible.

Horsey
@eastlink.ca

Horsey to vue666

Anon

to vue666
just woke up and see nothing but GREEN
It is warm/hot outside

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
Day 2 of my nightmare!

Westjet's solution to getting us home today was flying us to T.O. ,then P.V.............then Vallarta to Kelowna!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got this offer at 9:00 last night and my GF was just shaking her head..so the agent ,Kara, puts me on hold for 25 minutes and comes back with this deal............it's the last 2 seats on any flight to the West,she says.

We fly out at 2 to T.O.........then 6:00 to Calgary,then Kelowna at 9:00.......freaking milk run...........so far this trip has cost me $2500. [insanity]

To be continued............
ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
quote:
Really? So, you're going to equate the experience of trying to catch a flight out of Montreal in the middle of the worst storm in history
I realize it was the worst storm in 50 years............I was driving through it!!!!

My problem with both the city ,airport and Westjet is how ill prepared they were...........they knew for days how much snow and wind was coming,yet they were paralized when it hit...........it was a comedy of errors.

Flights could/ should have left yesterday,had the airport starting plowing earlier............there was no excuse for our flight being cancelled,especially after it was minutes away from leaving.

The city really fucked up with how much non plowing there was...........and why in God's sake doesn't the fucking Metro run to the airport?

That's the most mindboggling thing to me!!

As for Westjet............no comment!!!!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by ZZZZZZZ:

I realize it was the worst storm in 50 years............I was driving through it!!!!

It wasn't the worst day of snow in 50 years, it was the worst day of snow we've EVER had in Montreal.
said by ZZZZZZZ:

My problem with both the city ,airport and Westjet is how ill prepared they were...........they knew for days how much snow and wind was coming,yet they were paralized when it hit...........it was a comedy of errors.

In terms of the city, they sent out 1000 workers in 1000 snow plows to plow the streets as soon as it started snowing. Actual snow removal (Montreal removes all snow from streets/sidewalks and trucks it off-island) can't begin until the snow stops, so that is happening today, involving 3000 workers in 2500 pieces of equipment. It's what the city does in every snow storm.

Could they plow and remove faster? Yes, if they spent more money on it, but Montreal already has the highest snow removal budget in the world (more even than any city in Russia) at $145 million per year. How much does Moscow spend? About $16 million. Montreal spends more than that handling a single 20cm snowfall.
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Flights could/ should have left yesterday,had the airport starting plowing earlier............there was no excuse for our flight being cancelled,especially after it was minutes away from leaving.

When you've got that much snowfall, it doesn't much matter how much you're plowing, it accumulates as fast as you can plow. Also, just because you can't see plows at the airport, doesn't mean they aren't plowing. The farthest point of the runway is almost 4 kilometers away from the terminal and on the other side of some buildings.

The airport, however, would be a lot easier to throw more equipment at to plow, but to be honest, the fees are high enough as they are, it makes more sense not to make everybody pay obscenely higher fees just so that the airport can keep operating during a storm of the century.
said by ZZZZZZZ:

The city really fucked up with how much non plowing there was...........and why in God's sake doesn't the fucking Metro run to the airport?

Because running the metro to the airport would cost billions of dollars, and because of Pierre Elliot Trudeau and his federal government royally messing up Montreal's airport system. Why should the City of Montreal invest in new public transit to the airport when the Federal government is enacting their grand plan to move Montreal's air traffic to Mirabel? The plans for Mirabel (which ultimately cost over $2 billion of taxpayer money in 2011 dollars) were in progress at the same time as they were building the Metro, so it would have been a waste of money to extend the Metro to the airport. Of course, the money they spent trying to build Mirabel could have been used to improve the Dorval airport and its transit connections.

It wasn't until 1997 that international flights resumed in Dorval, and 2004 when all passenger flights out of Mirabel were stopped. They could have moved faster at establishing better rail links from downtown to the airport, but they are in progress now. It should run 20 hours a day, every 20 minutes, and be open by 2016. Of course, with the corruption in the Montreal construction industry, it's costing us 30-40% more than it should. Also it's being delayed by lawsuits. One hotel sued after the rail line would have taken away 150 of their 250 parking spaces.