uniqs

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Re: Any snow down East?

Home at last,got in at 10 pm..........and guess what we wake up to?

A freaking snow storm here,there's already a few inches on the ground..........I'm not going anywhere for a couple of days.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

So it was YOUR fault all of this time!

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to milnoc

Anon

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

We're Montrealers! We don't need no stinkin' army!

It's funny how Toronto's one moment of utter weakness many years ago has made them the laughingstock of Canadian winter living.

To be fair Montreal only got hit with 40 cm of snow in this so called "worst storm ever."

When Lastman called in the army Toronto got hit with fully ONE METER of snow!!!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

... over the course of a week and a half. The initial storm that started it all was 32cm. There's another big storm on its way to Montreal for tomorrow. We'll see where they sit after the same time period as Toronto in 1999.

Those were some fun times, though. We ended up with 170cm in St. Cats from that series of storms.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

Current and long term forecasts until next Friday indicate a maximum of 12 extra cm of snow above the 45 cm we received last Thursday. That's 43 cm short of the meter of snow Toronto allegedly received.

But even if we got hit with a second massive snowstorm immediately after next Friday, almost all of the current accumulation of snow would have already been cleared by the city.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Toronto was over the course of a week and a half. Montreal still has time.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
They certainly haven't done any snow removal near my building yet :P

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

The city does the main arteries first, and the back alleys last.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
Report in the Gazette this morning:

- Snow removal is, as of this morning, 12% done.
- Expected completion is "hopefully" January 7th.
- All snow removal will soon stop for a 36-hour period, as provincial law prevents snow removal workers from exceeding 70 hours per week.
- Cost of snow removal for this storm is estimated at $25 million

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

That's nuts.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

- All snow removal will soon stop for a 36-hour period, as provincial law prevents snow removal workers from exceeding 70 hours per week.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Time to call in the army!!! ROTFLMFAO

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Why would we? Because of a minor inconvenience? What do you think we are, Toronto?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
You know, using a resource like the military is a great idea though. These people are already getting paid, right? Think of all the OT money that could be saved. And, if the military was used in the Olympics, that 1 billion security tag would have dropped by a lot I'd think.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

The army isn't trained to clear snow from Montreal streets. The snow clearing workers however are well trained and do an excellent job of getting rid of the snow.

Most of the time.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

1 recommendation

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by milnoc:

The army isn't trained to clear snow from Montreal streets. The snow clearing workers however are well trained and do an excellent job of getting rid of the snow.

Most of the time.

I would actually think the army base at Petawawa should have plenty of people specially trained in snow removal, and the heavy equipment to do it... as that is certainly a place that sees its fair share, and I can't imagine they outsource snow removal on such a large military base with so many roads... so once they finish there, throw the stuff on flatbeds and head off to whoever needs it most next... use them domestically - I'm sure they wouldn't mind! They might not be well suited for small side streets - but they would most likely be a great help in hauling the stuff away - let the locals who know the place move the snow to staging areas in each neighbourhood, and let the mil. guys take it from there.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

the worst storm in history (we broke the single day snowfall record at 7PM tonight when we passed 45cm)

Really? 18" is a record? We've had much bigger snowstorms in New Jersey: 84 cm (33"). Wow, I'm surprised.
Bob4

Bob4 to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

After heavy snowfalls, New York City pays ordinary citizens $12/hour to shovel snow. Just show up, they give you a shovel and I think a safety vest.

»www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/ht ··· 09.shtml

»www.nytimes.com/2009/12/ ··· tml?_r=0

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
45cm is the record for a 24-hour period, not an overall storm. Montreal gets on average 86 inches of snow a year. Jersey City gets about 19 inches of snow a year.

Paying citizens to shovel would be useless. That would just push snow around, when the snow must in fact be removed, not simply plowed.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by Guspaz:

45cm is the record for a 24-hour period, not an overall storm.

I'm surprised Montreal's record is so low, because we've gotten almost twice that in 24 hour periods, and it's happened more than once.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Three feet in a 24 hour period? That's an average of an inch and a half an hour for a full 24 hours.

We want references and dates.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
I thought Buffalo, NY has had huge 24hr snow falls in the 3'/24hr range??

FaxCap
FaxCap

1 edit

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Greatest Single-Day Snowfall Record - February 11, 1999. Tahtsa
Lake, BC, received 145 cm of snow, a new Canadian single-day
snowfall record, but well below the world's record of 192 cm at Silver
Lake, Colorado on April 15, 1921

Wholly Crap, Batman that's.....

145cm=57 inches
192cm=75 inches

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

I thought Buffalo, NY has had huge 24hr snow falls in the 3'/24hr range??

It's happened only twice, but there's been lots in the 20" range. Keep in mind, that's all lake snow. Lake snow can dump huge massive amounts of snow in a very short period of time in a small area, only for there to be sunshine and grass two miles up the road.

The 24 hour record for snowfall in the entire state of New Jersey was Elizabeth, NY at 33" - back in 1899. I think Nyan Cat might be a bit confused over actual recorded 24 hour snowfall versus snow that falls during the entire beginning to end of a storm over several days.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
The BC coast including Vancouver get "Ocean" snow. In my 65
year in Vancouver I think the largest single snow event was about 4
years ago. We had one dump in North Delta (a Vancouver suburb) of
about 16". That followed 2 snow falls in the proceeding days of about
12" each. I measured the snow on Dec 24th that year of 39" (non
drift) in an open part of my front yard.

We get very heavy wet snow here. We rarely see any "powder" snow
as it usually doesn't get cold enough.

FaxCap
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
145cm = 57 inches

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
we got about 80 cm of snowfall a couple of years ago in one day during "Snowmageddon" (even more if you count the couple of days afterwards where it kept falling, albeit at a slower rate)...big dumpings of snow aren't that uncommon here though as we are at the bottom of the snowbelt region.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, snowbelt regions will always have higher records for 24 hour snowfall than other areas.
Expand your moderator at work

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

How ironic

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b ··· ?cmp=rss

this crap is really following me around. lol