Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wattrt

join:2002-08-12
Birmingham, AL
reply to wattrt

Re: [Speed Issues] Slingbox speeds around 1 Mbit on my 30/4 Mbit

I just wanted to report back that I eventually changed the port from the Slingbox default and so far so good. I'm hitting 4.1 Mbps on my 4 Mbps line during the middle of the day whereas before I'd be lucky to get 1–1.2 Mbps.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Thanks for replying back with an update!

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to wattrt
said by wattrt:

I just wanted to report back that I eventually changed the port from the Slingbox default and so far so good. I'm hitting 4.1 Mbps on my 4 Mbps line during the middle of the day whereas before I'd be lucky to get 1–1.2 Mbps.

sounds like charter to me. They limit standard Bittorrent ports too, so you have to change them, and if you don't change them about 1 time every 3 months, they catch on and start throttling those ports too. so far, the only ports that I have seen remaining unthrottled are those for RDP sessions(3800), and HTTP and HTTPS. Everything else seems to get throttled after about 3 months of use.

wattrt

join:2002-08-12
Birmingham, AL
said by Chubbysumo:

sounds like charter to me. They limit standard Bittorrent ports too, so you have to change them, and if you don't change them about 1 time every 3 months, they catch on and start throttling those ports too. so far, the only ports that I have seen remaining unthrottled are those for RDP sessions(3800), and HTTP and HTTPS. Everything else seems to get throttled after about 3 months of use.

Looks like Charter must have caught on to my port, because my speeds have dropped once again. It's been about 2.5 months so it looks like you're spot on. I'll change it again tonight (might try port 80 or 443) and see what happens. I'll try to keep posting updates as I discover issues.

It just sucks that I have to do this. If I'm paying for 4 Mbps upload, I want it all the time. It's not like I'm streaming the Slingbox all day (maybe an average of 3-4 hours a day 1-3 days a week, at most).