spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

intok

join:2012-03-15

[OS X] 10.5.8 IOCDStorageFamily.kext installed improperly...

OK, this is a long crappy tale and question:

So I've got a cousin that is a DJ, who has been dragging his iMac at gigs, well the internal optical drive died and he is currently using a USB burner as his optical drive. this worked fine for him till the internal drive started making horrendous noises while the comp was on.

Now normally I'd have fixed this for him myself, but I was working 14 hours days so he took it to Best Buy who couldn't fix it, and then some crappy little hole in the wall computer shop that didn't do much but it does look like they tried to pry the case open with a putty knife from the back in instead of the proper way from the front down...

Well now this gets back to me, I pulled the internal drive as he currently doesn't have the cash on hand to get a proper replacement for the internal, but I didn't have the external with me when I did this, but now we get the error in the tittle when trying to access the USB optical drive. The drive does work as I tested it with my laptop.

I haven't been able to dig up anything helpful on Google.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Click on the Apple Menu in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. Then click on "About This Mac". Then click on "More Info". Right below the word "iMac" it will tell the vintage of your machine and other key information. That will be helpful for folks to guide you.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to intok

In theory at least, the iMac shouldn't care if the internal drive is missing and happily run off an external optical drive. But maybe it does and when the internal is missing the kext doesn't load, which then doesn't allow the external drive to run.

You can also download the 10.5.8 combo update from Apple and reinstall it on the system. That should replace the .kext file with a good copy, if the kext is actually improperly installed, like the error says. »support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_···o_Update
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

intok

1 edit
reply to buckingham

said by buckingham:

Click on the Apple Menu in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. Then click on "About This Mac". Then click on "More Info". Right below the word "iMac" it will tell the vintage of your machine and other key information. That will be helpful for folks to guide you.

Will this do?

intok

So does anyone at all have an iMac 7.1? I worked on the drive so that it nolonger makes random loud noises, but the .kext file is still broken even after trying a reinstall of the 10.5.8 combo update.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Open terminal and type (or paste)

sudo kextutil --verbose -t /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

That should spit out what is wrong with the ktext.

intok

No joy.

sudo: kextutil: command not found

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

You need to copy and paste that entire line into terminal. Without something to process, ktextutil or sudo ktextutil will say command not found. The actual command is part of BSD UNIX it should be there in Leopard too.

intok

nope, and from what I'm reading kextutil wasn't introduced till 10.6.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Crap. Now is about the time I wave the white flag and do in an in place reinstall.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I want to say you can rebuild 10.5 then run patches again.

User data is in /Users/ so it shouldn't be touched... don't quote me on that with 10.5 though.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

intok

Rebuild?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

said by intok:

Rebuild?

Backup your data and reinstall the OS, followed by all of the OS updates, apps and then your personal files.
--
In a nation of spoiled children, Santa Claus always wins.