what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

1 recommendation

DaSneaky1D

MVM

That's AWESOME!!!

So, Verizon had a business sold "newspapers" to people getting rained on. They handed that business over to another company to sell the papers and they came back into the same area with golf umbrellas to sell!
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

I saw this coming for years...
If you look at most developing countries, there are few landlines - its almost all wireless. Why ? Its a heck of a lot cheaper to build and support (with the exception of spectrum), and there's a demand for it.
POTS is dead.
AT&T is effectively attempting to do the same thing. Its late to the party (day late, dollar short), which means that it can't profit off the sale of its landline business.
Instead, its going to swap its landline for LTE in rural areas. Frontier/Century Link/Fairpoint/etc. had all better get their act together and get off the POTS bandwagon - quickly.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

Right!

I have to admit, I didn't give much mind to it until very recently, but it makes sense.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to en103

to en103
Everyone who went to this site did, people were talking about it when the frontier deal was signed that Verizon would likely come back with fixed wireless

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

jmn1207 to DaSneaky1D

Premium Member

to DaSneaky1D
said by DaSneaky1D:

So, Verizon had a business sold "newspapers" to people getting rained on. They handed that business over to another company to sell the papers and they came back into the same area with golf umbrellas to sell!

Those would be golf umbrellas that you can only have open for 10 minutes per month at $60, with a penalty of $20 for each additional minute the umbrella remains open beyond the initial 10 minutes.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer to en103

Premium Member

to en103
The landline PHONE is nearly dead. HOWEVER, the need for that infrastructure to bring us The Internet (which is how a lot of people get their home phone) is far from dead. Wireless is an absolutely horrible way to get internet access... it's a relatively small pipe with an almost uncontrollable number of users -- the tech is inherently mobile.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

said by cramer:

the tech is inherently mobile.

Mobility is obviously the best use of wireless technology. As the world continues trending toward increasing mobility, I doubt wireless services are going to trail off anytime soon. Yes, wired infrastructure is still critical for communications infrastructure...especially to backhaul the wireless portions.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 recommendation

djrobx to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

Wireless is an absolutely horrible way to get internet access... it's a relatively small pipe with an almost uncontrollable number of users -- the tech is inherently mobile.

Totally agree, although it might make more sense in sparse rural areas. In that scenario there just aren't as many endpoints competing for bandwidth.

If LTE Advanced gets up to 1gbps, it could serve a lot of customers. Compare that to my cable company who's offering 50mbps service on 4 38mbps 256QAM channels per neighborhood node.

In more densely populated areas wireline will still be necessary - they'll need all this capacity just for mobile devices.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to jmn1207

to jmn1207
said by jmn1207:

Those would be golf umbrellas that you can only have open for 10 minutes per month at $60, with a penalty of $20 for each additional minute the umbrella remains open beyond the initial 10 minutes.

What a complete joke.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

The average person only needs an umbrella for a minute or two each month. Anyone that needs an umbrella for 10 minutes or more is probably stealing dryness.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit to jmn1207

to jmn1207
Spot on.
Terabit

Terabit to jmn1207

to jmn1207
And my favorite, this is what "the market decided and wants", which is absolute BS.

That tells you right there what they think of the market and the American consumer. I hate to interject politics into this, however, we all know which side cheers this on like a cult, as they do with everything in this country.

Monos
@sbc.com

Monos to cramer

Anon

to cramer
Landline is in no way dead, it is in decline but there are still hundreds of millions of Landlines out there in use every day. I will never disconnect mine willingly, when the power goes out Voip does not work for more than 20 minutes, if you are lucky.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit
said by Terabit:

I hate to interject politics into this

No you don't

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Terabit

MVM

to Terabit
said by Terabit:

I hate to interject politics into this, however, we all know which side cheers this on like a cult, as they do with everything in this country.

That would be the "side" which holds both Executive, and Legislative power in any year since, oh, say, 1865.
patronanejo
join:2009-09-10
EC2R 8AH

2 edits

patronanejo to Monos

to Monos
said by Monos :

...when the power goes out Voip does not work for more than 20 minutes, if you are lucky.

What are you talking about--VoIP on a desktop powered by UPS? I don't think lucky applies to any part of that.

You realise that cell phones carry their own UPS--and operate on expressly designed voice-over-GSM/CDMA networks--right?

Not to mention the ease with which you can access VoIP services over LTE- or 3G networks....

Most cell towers--but not all--have backup battery power. Last year, the FCC looked into requiring carriers to harden emergency power at all cell sites--but was sued by the CTIA and lost.

Hurricane Sandy made the FCC's point pretty firmly.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

It made the telco's point as well... the facilities necessary to keep a cell tower (much less *all* of them) operational until the grid is restored would be *cough* extreme. (sizing the generator to the site, the cost of MANY generators, quite sizable amount of on-site fuel, security to keep people from stealing it, and contracts to manage filling/cycling the fuel.)

Keeping CO's powered is trivial by comparison. There aren't as many of them. And many (almost all?) are manned sites -- techs work from there or are in there regularly.
whozzit
join:2003-03-26
Westwood, CA

1 recommendation

whozzit to cramer

to cramer
All of that seems to be relative. I've been subscribed to a fixed wireless ISP here in northeastern California since it was offered in 2002 (Digitalpath). I've found it to be robust for more than ten years now (5 MB down and 1 MB up), the house is online 24/7 and there are no useage caps of any kind. This all came about because the telco had the DSL situation locked up (in their favor). Digitalpath overcame this by not using and phone lines or cable to get to their suscribers... they used the air instead. It has always been robust enough to use VoIP (telephone) over 24/7; both incomeing and outgoing.