Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

VPN services

I am wondering about VPN services and how do they work. I am thinking of going with a network that I can be on my home network and protect my data without being at home (such as being able to print on my printer when I am not at home or being able to access my devices remotely.

I would want VPN services through a reputable company like AT&T or Verizon and not some company I've never heard of before.

Expand your moderator at work

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: VPN services

said by IowaCowboy:

I am wondering about VPN services and how do they work.

Read the FAQ or Wiki about VPNs. Alternatively, there are several books on the matter; if you want an intro to
the topic, I recommend this title from Syngress. The short version is they allow secure communications over
an insecure medium like the Internet, fullstop.

said by IowaCowboy:

I would want VPN services through a reputable company like AT&T or Verizon and not some company I've never heard of before.

AFAIK, neither ATT nor Verizon RESIDENTIAL internet services provide VPN, though you could easily put
some gear on your home network to do so. If it's really about accessing your home network while on the road,
it can be done fairly easily.

You can also try "VPN over SSH" on your search engine of choice and look at that.

My 00000010bits

Regards
Expand your moderator at work