·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to rdmiller

MVM

to rdmiller

Re: Old technology

That is true.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the broadband space. Copper is expensive to maintain and has distance limitation. Its only positive is the ability to deliver power making backup easier. Fiber has virtually unlimited capacity but is very capital intensive with payback periods longer then senior management or Wall Sweet are interested in.

The various flavors of wireless are great but I think they are only going to be practical in fairly rural areas. Even with aggressive frequency reuse it is going to be hard to support locked up mult-megabit speed for everyone, in addition to the proliferation of handheld devices.

We were able to electrify the nation and provide phone service to everyone during the 1930's but it does not look like we have the political will to do the same thing today for broadband.

/tom
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

And the government formed orgs like the TVA because the privately operated utilities have said the same thing as broadband companies are now. "Rural America is not profitable"

Rural
@frontiernet.net

Rural

Anon

What I find funny about this statement,Frontier was developed for rural districts. Frontiers soul agenda is to deploy DSL or Fios to rural areas has been since there inception. Verizon was my phone company for 20 yrs and always promised DSL never delivered when Frontier took over it was up and running within 1 yr. As long as Frontier has rural areas like my when there is no other isps they will stay in the game. Frontier made this 13 state deal to deploy Internet.
raybrett
join:2001-02-20
Saint Louis, MO

raybrett

20 years is hard to believe since Verizon was established in 2000.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

Changed their name you mean.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Rural

MVM

to Rural
said by Rural :

Frontiers soul agenda is to deploy DSL or Fios to rural areas has been since there inception.

Frontier has no "soul", but they have "flounder" by the ton!