uniqs
share rss forum feed

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA
reply to smokybandit

Re: [installer] Bad installer

I've used heat shrink tubing many times.

And yes I've used "innovative" heat sources to shrink the tubing as best I could.

Try using a match or lighter on a windy day or in sub-freezing temps . . .

There is also the issue of finding the right diameter tubing to insure that a good seal is made.

It can certainly be done right, but there are more opportunities for failure with heat shrink tubing when applied in the field without the right tools.

The amalgamating tape is pretty foolproof.

Again, simply providing an alternative method . . .

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
said by viasatguy:

Again, simply providing an alternative method . . .

As am I. Whether one uses amalgamating tape or heatshrink is a matter of economics. Quality tape is about a buck a foot when bought by the roll. A roll of Harbor Freight heatshrink suitable for RG6 connectors is about 20 cents a foot. Marine grade is more expensive, but I'm quite satisfied with the results of regular grade plus dielectric grease. In the spirit of full disclosure, the cost of an independent heat source must be considered. If you already have a self-igniting propane torch, great. If not, you're still only looking at a (minimum) $15 one time purchase.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
said by grohgreg:

Whether one uses amalgamating tape or heatshrink

But, what is being overlooked is everday experiences, via common person, in obtaining either product. Taken from a poster at Spearfishing forum:

I have went to both Home Depot and Lowes and asked for self amalgamating tape, rubber tape, adhesive tape, and everyone looks at me like I am crazy. Is it under a different name?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit
Simple website product search shows Both products available at both stores. But having the inventory and hiring competent employees are not mutually exclusive

//Greg//