Premium Member
join:2002-06-29
San Carlos, CA

1 recommendation

pkalona to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS

Re: Excellent photo?

I think the elements of an excellent image cannot be easily articulated. This is particularly true due to the fact that there are different types of photography such as portrait, landscape, architecture, abstract, etc.. Each with its own technical and stylistic attributes for excellence. For example, great bokeh is important to many portraits but not necessarily for a landscape.

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Help me to understand what, in your opinion, differentiates an excellent photo from a mediocre one and why.
I consider this to be an excellent photo »/pics/ ··· e/140011
This photo
wasn't very hard to get,
doesn't contain a unique subject,
doesn't have exceptional light,
has nothing to make it stand out from the rest
anyone here could make it
there's nothing to make it stand out from the rest
What could have been done to make this photo excellent or is there no way this photo could ever be excellent?

Perhaps a bear standing there eating those berries.

How can an image that anyone can make be excellent, wouldn't that be giving a whole new meaning to the word?

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

2 recommendations

EGeezer to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
this and this is excellent.

Blurry? yep. Blown out sky? Yep. Excellent? Convince me otherwise.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 edit

SueS

Premium Member

I never mentioned that a photo needed to be technically great to be excellent.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
If any should exist Can you post links to a few photos that are excellent?

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 edit

SueS

Premium Member

The NYTimes photos of the year are excellent photos in my opinion. Look at the photo of the year for 2012

»lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ··· -winner/

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

1 recommendation

rcroning to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
All things aside, a really good photograph will have a story to tell.

Ralph.
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

29886823 (banned)

You are setting up photography as a special art form; museums are full of fine art that tells no story at all. Fine photography may or may not tell a 'story'.

29886823 (banned) to SueS

to SueS
You still haven't listed a single excellent photo that exists on this site. Hard to believe.
The NYTimes images are basically photojournalism, and as such have those elements that appeal to our basic humanity, and have as well a terrifying reality. They are sui generis.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
All art tells a story. If one is oblivious, one will not get it.
29886823 (banned)

29886823 (banned)

Nonsense. What's the story here: »/showp ··· 316&p=3?

Quoting from your post: :"If one is oblivious, one will not get it."

Why the personal attack mode; my comment simply said that art may or may not tell a story.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

Coma

Premium Member

A horny flower ?

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning

Premium Member

Horny flower!!! Absolutely!! Just waiting to "bee" had!!!

Like I said, the oblivious won't get it
krazyboi
Premium Member
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX

1 recommendation

krazyboi to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
said by SueS:

said by krazyboi:

I overall tend to like pictures with:

good composition
good lighting
clean backgrounds

I also like candids over posed portaits, unless it's 'creative' posed portraits.
I like HDR but not overused HDR on landscapes.
list goes on....

Are all those photos with those criteria excellent in your opinion or do you just like them?

IMO, kinda Both. I enjoy art/photography and feel it is subjective... so with that, I like seeing people 'progress' and get better. I'm not going to knock someone for trying or seizing the moment. Hard to learn if you're not trying or experimenting. As a photographer we sorta know what goes into making an 'excellent' picture. The 'criteria' are mainly for those who will post the same type of picture over & over and ask what is wrong with it. I'm on Instagram and majority of the photos there are from smartphones and I still enjoy looking at those pictures as much as browsing through Flickr or 500px.
Expand your moderator at work

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Algonquin, IL

3 recommendations

richdelb to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS

Re: Excellent photo?

Reading this tread made me look at my photos in the gallery and ask "Are any of mine excellent?"

JKK thought this one was "excellent". Does it make it so? I don't know.. I like it (or I would not have posted it, I guess)

I think "excellent" is subjective.

I guess you can use technical indicators to see judge if a picture is properly exposed, in focus, composed correctly (rule of thirds being one "example" but not a DEMAND). If a person or subject is half way cut off the frame, that would be a demerit, etc. But an overall evaluation of "excellent"??? It's too subjective and individualized to be painted with a broad stroke.

The answer, in my opinion, is "It depends"

»/showp ··· folder=0

Is this shot "excellent"? I don't know, but I thought it was good enough to share with you all, so I thought it was "up there"......
29886823 (banned)

29886823 (banned) to rcroning

to rcroning
You're obviously (perhaps obliviously) avoiding my response to your statement that "All art tells a story"; perhaps you don't really believe it.
krazyboi
Premium Member
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX

krazyboi to richdelb

Premium Member

to richdelb
said by richdelb:

I guess you can use technical indicators to see judge if a picture is properly exposed, in focus, composed correctly (rule of thirds being one "example" but not a DEMAND). If a person or subject is half way cut off the frame, that would be a demerit, etc. But an overall evaluation of "excellent"??? It's too subjective and individualized to be painted with a broad stroke.

I agree....

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
said by 29886823:

You still haven't listed a single excellent photo that exists on this site. Hard to believe.

I am not one to point fingers, so I will not pick out any photos from our gallery.
SueS

1 edit

1 recommendation

SueS to richdelb

Premium Member

to richdelb
said by richdelb:

Reading this tread made me look at my photos in the gallery and ask "Are any of mine excellent?"

JKK thought this one was "excellent". Does it make it so? I don't know.. I like it (or I would not have posted it, I guess)

»/showp ··· folder=0

Is this shot "excellent"? I don't know, but I thought it was good enough to share with you all, so I thought it was "up there"......

This was my reason for asking, I was sure we all had different ideas for the word. I like to reserve the word for the best of the best. If we were all making excellent images, wouldn't they be hanging in galleries?

I see wonderful photos everyday and enjoy them, but I don't necessarily think they are all excellent. The word means of a very high quality or standard. I also think that because so many folks are doing photography today that the bar is continually rising.
29886823 (banned)

29886823 (banned)

Who decides if a photograph is 'good' enough to hang in a museum? I think that if enough people with technical and artistic experience decide that a photograph is excellent it most likely is. In this sense excellent might be defined as a collective decision, and not a mix of disparate opinions.
I disagree that we all have different ideas of excellence - then nothing would hang in galleries. There has to be some common acceptance of what excellence means, or else it means nothing.
I also think that your statement that the bar for excellence is continually rising is also not quite true; there may be more people using better equipment, but for some time now equipment can be ruled out as a determining factor, while the human element remains the same.

29886823 (banned)

said by SueS:

This was my reason for asking, I was sure we all had different ideas for the word. I like to reserve the word for the best of the best. If we were all making excellent images, wouldn't they be hanging in galleries?

I was under the impression that we had a Gallery here, and that possibly we had some excellent photos posted here.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
Winnipeg, MB

4 recommendations

rcroning to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
marti hack old chap,

The only reason I did not respond to you is because it's a waste of breath and bandwidth. While others offer opinions, which they are entitled to, you just get argumentative. That seems to be they way you always are and it gets tiresome after a while.

You really need to get off that high horse you ride, shake that chip off your shoulder, take a chill pill...whatever. Just loosen up a bit. You talk with such authority, yet your photography is mediocre at best and does not reflect your (ahem) "expertise."

We are all here to have fun and share our love of photography. You however are the resident party pooper. Get with the program. Life is too short to be so grumpy all the time.

Lay off sucking the lemons for a few minutes and send me your mailing address. I'll gift you some nice Canadian Christmas chocolates. Maybe warm your heart and put a smile back on your face. I'm sure it's been a while.

With best wishes,

Ralph.
29886823 (banned)

29886823 (banned)

Ralph,
I think I won't bandy words with you, except to offer a few comments on your post. If you think my " photography is mediocre at best" I'll certainly accept your evaluation, but I believe that I can quote the opinions of some others, far better photographers than you, who've come to the opposite conclusion.
I'm not aware that we're all here solely to have fun; I thought it was to post our work and have better photographers offer help and suggestions. Alas, this has rarely occurred, and about the best thing I can say is that the best images provide standards to aspire to, though according to some others you might be hard put to find an "excellent" photograph here.
In the scheme of things I will even thank you for your IR images, which led me to explore this technique for myself, with images I think that are "excellent".
At this moment I do have a smile on my face,
Martin

29886823 (banned) to SueS

to SueS
A Bit more on Excellence, Exceptional and Extraordinary

What might characterize the images posted in the Gallery? I can speak only for myself, but I suspect that everyone who works hard on their photographs will understand what I'm saying.

In the first place, we take our images with the notion that they will, after processing, let others see what we saw, views that we considered interesting.

In the second place, during processing we strive to produce an image that is not simply out of the camera, but touches on excellence, that is, it accurately portrays what we want it to, and if we're lucky, it may be an excellent photo, both technically and artistically, and will be seen as such. Since some posters here have a notion that excellence is whatever you decide about your own photographs, there is the further question of how your image is seen by others. I suppose that if more than a few independent viewers think the image is excellent, then it is. In addition, there may be those whose standards are so high that no posted images meet their criteria for excellence.

In the third place, every now and then we may be astonished that some of the images we're working on go beyond excellence, and occasionally are exceptional. If you have had this experience, you will recognize the feeling. Those of you who are artistically inclined will know exactly what I mean.

Rarely, you might produce an extraordinary image, but maybe this might be a once in a lifetime proposition. In any event, it will be the posted image that defines the photographer. I'm happy to be defined this way, and you might be as well.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms

Premium Member

Why does an excellent photo need to be processed?

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

3 recommendations

EGeezer to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
said by mhhack :

... I can quote the opinions of some others, far better photographers than you, ..

The judge of photographers has spoken. We are indeed humbled.

Well, maybe not.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

Jodokast96 to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
said by 29886823:

Who decides if a photograph is 'good' enough to hang in a museum? I think that if enough people with technical and artistic experience decide that a photograph is excellent it most likely is.

I call BS. A prime example:

»news.yahoo.com/record-ph ··· 446.html
said by 29886823:

In this sense excellent might be defined as a collective decision, and not a mix of disparate opinions.

Except it really is both.
said by 29886823:

I disagree that we all have different ideas of excellence - then nothing would hang in galleries.

Again, BS. See example above.
said by 29886823:

There has to be some common acceptance of what excellence means, or else it means nothing.

See my second comment above.
said by 29886823:

I also think that your statement that the bar for excellence is continually rising is also not quite true; there may be more people using better equipment, but for some time now equipment can be ruled out as a determining factor, while the human element remains the same.

She never mentioned equipment, nor that it was the reason the bar is continually rising. But since you brought it up, the fact that equipment has gotten so cheap means that everybody now has some type of more than decent camera with them at all times. This has not only given people who previously may not have had any equipment at all to now enter the world of photography. And given the ubiquity of cameras out there, any and everyone can now truly "f/8 and be there".
Jodokast96

1 recommendation

Jodokast96 to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
said by 29886823:

If you think my " photography is mediocre at best" I'll certainly accept your evaluation, but I believe that I can quote the opinions of some others, far better photographers than you, who've come to the opposite conclusion.

That just reeks of self loathing and snobbery, somehow all at the same time. You are far too caught up in the opinions of those with "titles". As I noted in another thread, those with such "titles" that you so desire recognition from, have deemed one of the blandest photos in history as "extraordinary". Their opinions are just that, opinions. Just like yours, just like mine. None is more valid than the next, nor invalid for that matter. What is important is the reasoning behind those opinions. It's a bit sad that you subject yourself to such narrow views to gain acceptance.
29886823 (banned)

29886823 (banned) to EGeezer

to EGeezer
I made that statement to another poster, not to you. Possibly you are unaware of the context.

I hope you're humbled. I see the "royal we" in use again. It's been tried before, with no result.