Search similar:

uniqs
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

29886823 (banned) to vaxvms

to vaxvms

Re: Excellent photo?

said by vaxvms:

Why does an excellent photo need to be processed?

It doesn't ever get to the viewing stage without processing, and there just might be a reason for all the photo editing software out there.

29886823 (banned) to Jodokast96

to Jodokast96
About the only thing I can get from you that I understand is that all opinions are valid. Just so. Let me assure you that when I see a curated show, photographs, paintings or whatever, I make my own judgments, and give a bit more than lip service to the curators. I often see stuff I wouldn't hang on my walls, but then again art is in a sense a moving target, and some people may understand it a bit better than I do. Doesn't mean I like it any better.
It strikes me that in some ways I actually agree with you!

to Jodokast96
Let me pose a hypothetical for you: Suppose I've just visited your Gallery, and stated openly for others to see "that your photography is mediocre at best". I would understand that you considered your images from your own point of view as good work, otherwise why post them? I wouldn't consider it amiss for you to make others understand that the opinion was just that, an opinion, and there were others far more positive. An attack is an attack, as a rose is a rose.
I wouldn't that consider self loathing and snobbery had anything to do with it.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
"It doesn't ever get to the viewing stage without processing, and there just might be a reason for all the photo editing software out there."

That's goose poop. I have several that have never seen post processing and are nice enough to view.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by rcroning:

I have several that have never seen post processing and are nice enough to view.

That is what I strive for but those are rare.
29886823 (banned)

29886823 (banned) to rcroning

to rcroning
Great, what else is new? I think you willfully misunderstand, making a mountain out of a molehill. I was under the impression that images are raw, and if you choose jpg you have a whole host of in-camera settings which you can control, or simply choose the manufacturer's settings. Same for raw.
Still ready to throw out your editing software?

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

3 recommendations

Jodokast96 to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
If you stated that about my photography, I'd probably agree with you. If you said it was shit, I may even agree with that. Or not, doesn't really matter. Truthfully, the things I've posted there, were at the time of posting, the best I had ever produced. But that's not why I put them there, nor why I leave them there. I put them there for me because I liked them, and thought that maybe some of the others here might enjoy them as well. If not, I really didn't care. I keep them there for me as well. As I've said many times, I like seeing how far I've come (or haven't).

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
said by 29886823:

It doesn't ever get to the viewing stage without processing, and there just might be a reason for all the photo editing software out there.

Sounds like you're starting with less than stellar photos and using software to cover over the flaws in the photos. Reminds me of Tammy Faye Baker.
29886823 (banned)

29886823 (banned)

Take a trip to Dxomark.com. There you will find that cameras and sensors differ natively, and some receive much better marks for their different photographic uses, ie, some cameras simply do a better job out of the box than others, but software and other shooting techniques enable a photographer to make up for these deficiencies. It's one of the reasons most people shoot raw.

As to starting with less than stellar images - why the sort of personal attack about my starting with less than stellar images? How do you know what my out-of-camera images look like? Have you ever shot in IR or HDR, just to name two techniques that you'd find impossible, unless your camera had special settings, and even then, they wouldn't compare with the possibilities offered by fine software.

If you take "excellent" photos right out of the box perhaps you might point them out in your Gallery.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
marti old chap, I shoot RAW all the time. And there are some which I convert straight from RAW to jpg without the need for any post work. Maybe that's something you can't achieve. Others can and do.
29886823 (banned)

to Jodokast96
said by Jodokast96:

If you stated that about my photography, I'd probably agree with you. If you said it was shit, I may even agree with that. Or not, doesn't really matter. Truthfully, the things I've posted there, were at the time of posting, the best I had ever produced. But that's not why I put them there, nor why I leave them there. I put them there for me because I liked them, and thought that maybe some of the others here might enjoy them as well. If not, I really didn't care. I keep them there for me as well. As I've said many times, I like seeing how far I've come (or haven't).

You've many points here that I agree with, but basically you're ambivalent about some of them, while I'm less so.

29886823 (banned) to rcroning

to rcroning
That's something we all do. Nothing new here. Once again you seem to willfully miss the point, which was made by vaxvms: "Why does an excellent photo need to be processed?"
If a large number of your raw images can be converted straight to jpg, that's wonderful: it shows what a keen photographic sense you have for composition, exposure, lighting etc.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

4 recommendations

caffeinator to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
IDK if they are excellent, but here a couple of photos I took awhile ago with my cheap old Samsung S630. No tripod, no fancy processing (other than a bit of color correction on the fly image) or lighting. Just fun pics.

The first two pics. I'd just found them and decided to post 'em.
»/pics/ ··· 0&sort=d

Whether anyone likes them or not, I'm proud of 'em. That's what matters to me. I've never owned a DSLR or shot in RAW and probably never will, but that is ok. I can still shoot things that I like.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

2 recommendations

EGeezer

Premium Member

said by caffeinator:

Whether anyone likes them or not, I'm proud of 'em. That's what matters to me. I've never owned a DSLR or shot in RAW and probably never will, but that is ok. I can still shoot things that I like.

Caff, that sums it up perfectly. I also REALLY enjoy your photos of the wonderful eats you conjure up(recipes and instructions too). What self-appointed judges think people you, me or anyone else should or should not be posted here is of no real consequence to me.

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

2 recommendations

SueS to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

Whether anyone likes them or not, I'm proud of 'em. That's what matters to me. I can still shoot things that I like.

Good to hear! Unless you are making a living with a camera, I think this is what photography is to most people. Have fun!

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

3 recommendations

caffeinator

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

said by caffeinator:

Caff, that sums it up perfectly. I also REALLY enjoy your photos of the wonderful eats you conjure up(recipes and instructions too). What self-appointed judges think people you, me or anyone else should or should not be posted here is of no real consequence to me.

said by SueS:

Good to hear! Unless you are making a living with a camera, I think this is what photography is to most people. Have fun!

Thanks guys!

Food photography can be pretty hard...but I enjoy it as much as I love cooking and eating the subject. It's like inviting the whole world to your kitchen.

I wish I had the funds for good camera gear like my father had back in the day, but I still have his sense of wonder about the world, and the desire to capture it.

I've not ever made any money from photos, but I recently had the fun of being asked if one of my images could be used on the product's website as their stock pics are not correct.

This one: »/showp ··· folder=0

It's just nice to be acknowledged sometimes..
29886823 (banned)

29886823 (banned) to EGeezer

to EGeezer
One has a right to one's personal preferences, as in I'd never pick that color, but to each his own. Versions of this maxim appeared in the late 1500s but the modern wording was first recorded in 1713.

I'm happy to see that the maxim lives on, but it has nothing to do with excellence.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
Winnipeg, MB

2 recommendations

rcroning to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
I haven't missed any point marti. The whole purpose behind shooting RAW is to be able to make changes, then convert to an out like jpg or tiff. I have several photographs that don't need changes, just plain old conversion.

Anyway, this is my last response to you as it's like trying to have a discussion with a log.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

2 recommendations

EGeezer to 29886823

Premium Member

to 29886823
I'm sorry you have taken such little pleasure and endured so such frustration and negative feelings from the submissions I and others make to the gallery and forums.

Perhaps if you ever choose to provide encouragement and specific constructive, helpful comments and suggestions, it might make your future viewing experience more palatable and even raise the level of excellence you consistently decry.

In the meantime, I'll continue to post those images I feel are enjoyable and helpful. If I have criticisms of others' images, I will attempt to provide it in the form of suggestions I feel may be encouraging and help to those who participate in this wonderful community.

We wish all of you a prosperous and happy new year, and hope you all continue to enjoy photography and sharing your images and stories.