spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BobBass
join:2008-12-03
Exton, PA

BobBass

[HD] No sound when using "All On" button

My aunt has the newer HD small box hooked up via HDMI to a Panasonic HD TV. Apparently the sound worked "normally" up to about a week ago.

Now, when you use the "All On" button to switch the box and TV on, there is no sound coming from the TV. If you then switch only the TV off and back on (using TV & POWER button), the sound does work when it comes back on. If you just leave the box on and use the POWER button to cycle the TV on & off, the sound works.

Any ideas on why the TV does not play audio when using the "All On" button?

THANKS!
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80

How long to you wait before you turn the TV off? Sometimes the sound takes a second or two to kick in after the picture does. If all else fails replace the box.
BobBass
join:2008-12-03
Exton, PA

BobBass

Waited at least 10 seconds. She has a DVR box in another room and it operates normally as did this small non-DVR box until last week. I'm thinking the "handshake" on the audio side is not happening for some reason. On the other hand, that's just a wild guess.

trythisfirst
@comcast.net

trythisfirst to BobBass

Anon

to BobBass
HDMI detection issue i have seen this a few times. Hit cable then power on the remote, this should turn the box off, then hit menu. there is a setting under hdmi, an audio setting or something called auto detect audio. If you set it to lpcm this should stop happening. Sorry i cant be more descriptive i haven't seen this in a while.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by trythisfirst :

HDMI detection issue i have seen this a few times. Hit cable then power on the remote, this should turn the box off, then hit menu. there is a setting under hdmi, an audio setting or something called auto detect audio. If you set it to lpcm this should stop happening. Sorry i cant be more descriptive i haven't seen this in a while.

Good call. Bob Bass: here's a link to the wiki page on accessing the settings.
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ho ··· VR/Setup
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to BobBass

to BobBass
said by BobBass:

If you then switch only the TV off and back on (using TV & POWER button), the sound does work when it comes back on. If you just leave the box on and use the POWER button to cycle the TV on & off, the sound works.

Another reason why you're better off just leaving (any) box on 24/7 - you DO realize that even when you "turn it off", it IS still powered up, & you are NOT saving power anyway...

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by dishrich:

... you DO realize that even when you "turn it off", it IS still powered up, & you are NOT saving power anyway...

Wait, isn't there some power savings from not having the front panel display/indicator LEDs lit up?

(See: »[STB] Energy efficient set-top boxes on the way)